CrazyBoards.org

Driving makes me so anxious I can't deal with it. I have panic attacks and some times I disassociate. I've decided that I can't do it anymore right now. My therapist says I shouldn't quit and I need to power through it or the anxiety will win, but it's just too much. Besides, I don't think it's safe to drive when I start disassociating or panicking and not paying attention to the road. There's not always a safe place to pull over if I start freaking out. Maybe I'm exaggerating the safety concerns because I don't want to do it though. I don't know.

I know it will be a hardship for my family. My spouse and kids don't drive, so we will be reliant on the in-laws for rides, which makes me feel guilty, but I think it's for the best for me right now.

Thoughts?

i've been really hesitant about taking up driving ever since i began having panic attacks and i do feel this way too. i've been learning for two weeks and i'm always either in a trance or i'm way too anxious to concentrate. just the mere fact that the lives of other people are in my very hands (and feet) freaks me out. it also recently came to my attention that if i pass my driving test, i'd be driving my family and friends around, not just one instructor by my side or by myself. i really do feel your dilemma but i think that despite the guilt or fear of being a burden to your in-laws, you and your family's safety is of utmost importance. perhaps keep driving on the side (by yourself) to tackle the feelings of anxiousness? if you're feeling way too unstable, don't do it. i'm sure you'll be able to drive one day, but take baby steps towards it. pressurising yourself to drive your family around may make you feel more anxious. also, i guess it isn't much of exaggerating because you love your family and want them to be safe. don't undermine the way you feel:)

Byron-Black, have you ever tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)? That sounds exactly like the sort of thing CBT might help. It doesn't tell you to power through, it shows you how to address your anxieties. I took it for just anxiety, but there were a couple of people having trouble driving.

Sadly, I am a little timid about driving at this point. I can't drive at night at all, but that's because of an eye condition.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but I would ask about enrolling in a CBT class.

11 hours ago, purejoy said:

i've been really hesitant about taking up driving ever since i began having panic attacks and i do feel this way too. i've been learning for two weeks and i'm always either in a trance or i'm way too anxious to concentrate. just the mere fact that the lives of other people are in my very hands (and feet) freaks me out. it also recently came to my attention that if i pass my driving test, i'd be driving my family and friends around, not just one instructor by my side or by myself. i really do feel your dilemma but i think that despite the guilt or fear of being a burden to your in-laws, you and your family's safety is of utmost importance. perhaps keep driving on the side (by yourself) to tackle the feelings of anxiousness? if you're feeling way too unstable, don't do it. i'm sure you'll be able to drive one day, but take baby steps towards it. pressurising yourself to drive your family around may make you feel more anxious. also, i guess it isn't much of exaggerating because you love your family and want them to be safe. don't undermine the way you feel:)

Thanks. I think you are right. I need to trust myself to know what's right for me. I also make myself more anxious by feeling pressured to drive everyone around all of the time. I talked to the in-laws, and my father-in-law said that he doesn't mind driving us around. He said he actually likes that it gives him something to do because he has been bored and mildly depressed since he retired.

10 hours ago, crtclms said:

Byron-Black, have you ever tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)? That sounds exactly like the sort of thing CBT might help. It doesn't tell you to power through, it shows you how to address your anxieties. I took it for just anxiety, but there were a couple of people having trouble driving.

Sadly, I am a little timid about driving at this point. I can't drive at night at all, but that's because of an eye condition.

Obviously, I'm not a doctor, but I would ask about enrolling in a CBT class.

Thanks for the advice. I have not done CBT, only DBT. DBT helped me deal with my anxiety about some things, but I haven't made a dent in the driving anxiety. I am about to do a DBT IOP, so maybe that will help. After the IOP, I will look into CBT. Finding any kind of group therapy that takes my insurance is next to impossible. (I am on Medicaid). Maybe I can just do a workbook with my current therapist.

A lot of people do exactly that (do the workbook by themselves), and I hear that it works for a lot of people.

I used to love driving. Feeling on control.... Until I stopped feeling in control. Now I hate driving, and have a phobia of the freeway. I don't know what to do but wanted to say I hear ya and feel ya. Hope you can figure out a good way out of this... GL

2 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

I used to love driving. Feeling on control.... Until I stopped feeling in control. Now I hate driving, and have a phobia of the freeway. I don't know what to do but wanted to say I hear ya and feel ya. Hope you can figure out a good way out of this... GL

Thanks for your support.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      just started Lithium yesterday. I know it can take several weeks to work, but I already feel it clearing my head a bit.
      question tho. Can lithium make anxiety worse in the beginning - like SSRI’s? Because I now find myself very panicky
      I am also on lexapro and mirtazapine. 
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Just wondering. I have a lot of anxiety and am startinh lithium for bipolar disorder in a few weeks
    • By PurplePaisley
      I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.
      Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.
      In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.
      New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 
      I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.
      I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 
      I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.
      Purple

• By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 
      My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.
      I have tried every medication under the sun (well, mostly) 
      The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 
      Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite conservative  and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 
      Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused. 
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.