CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Alien Navel Cord

Driving on the freeway. Gulp

So I finally got a job. But it means driving the freeway during rush hour. I have anxiety about the freeway but the back roads would take too long. Any words of wisdom or advice? 

Thank you! 

I live in a small town, where I barely drive above 25mph most days. But, when I had to go back to San Antonio TX 3 years ago, I was mortified on the highways. 

Sorry, no advice, just wanted to say I totally understand, and I hope you can find something to ease your anxiety. Best wishes. 

• Thanks 1

Personally I can’t do freeways and research various other road alternatives. In rush hour it can even be faster. My pdoc says if I just drive freeways I’ll get over the fear but I dispute that. But maybe it’ll be true for you. One old author whose books used to help me driving was Claire Weekes, (Weeks?), but I can’t even recall the title now when I try to see if it would help me now. I admit my choice of job is partly related to not needing freeways. I wish a med helped with that. If someone has advice I’m interested.   I did find doing gps searching turned up routes I didn’t know about, maybe do a search for a better route new to you?

Edited by sugarsugar

Maybe having the radio on a calm station? I use Spa on XM satellite to keep me calm. Let the other cars pass you, and stay in the lane closest to the exit you need. If you keep your eyes focused ahead, it is somewhat less taxing on the nerves than looking in the rearview and seeing all the tailgaters and zippy lane-switchers. Good luck to you, the traffic struggle is real. 

Would it help to do a practice drive or drives? Maybe drive the route sometime not during rush hour so you are familiar with where your exit is, any lane changes (construction, lanes becoming exit only) and anything like that. That way, you're not trying to figure out when to merge and how to recognize your exit while also worrying about making it to work on time on day one. 

Congrats on the job!

I find driving on the highway (freeway) is a lot faster and safer than side roads or city roads. The worst part is the on-ramp and merging and then you're good. So focus on getting on the highway, once you're actually on the highway, stay in the lane you need as much as possible, and its pretty much a straight line until your exit.

When I started driving I hated highways, but my mom basically said its faster and safer, no lights, no need to change lanes unless necessary (in Canada, we get into the left lane at on-ramps, if traffic permits, to let those coming onto the highway an easier merge, driving in the USA, I've found that people don't do that there.) and you just hit 100km/h and its easy from there. You miss a lot of the normal distractions driving on a non-highway road, after a few drives, you'll probably find it easier and faster. They also tend to maintain highways better, better roads, first to be plowed when it snows..

Again, congrats!

I'm driving with the window open, the wind helps me to stay present and not in my head and I can hear the cars near me . . and maybe play on my phone SNL skits (just listening)