CrazyBoards.org

I was taking prozac for depression, .5mg klonopin daily for GAD, and lithium orotate for suicidal thoughts. I take rozerem at night for non24 sleep phase disorder. 

The prozac stopped working and so my pdoc switched me to lexapro but it made me exhausted all the time- i basically would sleep, wake up, eat a little, go back to sleep... after two weeks she’s switching me over to effexor instead. I am starting at the lowest dose, but I’m not sure when to take it- is this going to be a morning pill? right now i take the lithium and rozerem at bedtime, and was taking prozac, klonopin and then the lexapro in the morning. I switched to taking the lexapro at night when i relized how exhausted it was making me. still, i slept all day and night. 

so effexor- i’ve read enough to know it’s an snri, and it’s a bitch to climb back off of. and it can take up to a month to work? is there anything else about this combo i should know, or does anyone have experience with these meds together?

i’m diagnosed with depression with psychotic features (since the 90s), general anxiety (past five years), non24 SPD, and chronic suicidal ideation. I know the non24 is the weird one, but I’ve found ways to set up my life/work schedule to manage it- i’m not sleep deprived.

any thoughts would be great, i’m a relative newcomer to being medicated- i’ve only had access to a pdoc regularly dor the last three or four years, before that it was just urgent care or ER, random doctors trying to treat me.

I'll try it in the morning to start with then. I'm starting it on my days off so at least I'll have the day free if it gets odd.

thanks for replying

If you have depression with psychotic features, why aren't you taking an antipsychotic too? You might find one that can help with both psychosis and depression. Effexor is a great antidepressant. I would still be on it but it eventually stopped working. 

• Like 2

I've only had psychosis when I've had a really bad bout of depression; once or twice. it's not constant. we talked about adding an anti psychotic but I think they're holding on to those in case we can't get the depression handled with ADs

taken it in the morning+ haven't been sleeping as much! I even got out to walk my dog instead of just letting him into the yard. so it's a morning pill for me I think. 

I'm a little nervous about it still, I always fear seizures with new medicines. nothing bad yet though. thanks all for replying

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Evey
      Hi everyone,
      I’m on 750 mg of Lithium ER and have been for a few years. I never really noticed weight gain. If my dose was increased to 900 mg do you think it’s possible I’d see an increase in weight? What’s your personal experience. Did you see weight gain? If so, what dose? Thank you 💜
    • By Skeletor
      https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/the-british-journal-of-psychiatry/article/clomipramine-tryptophan-and-lithium-in-combination-for-resistant-endogenous-depression-seven-case-studies/F3A1B19433959744DCF32C36C7B4A28F#
      Unquestionably an extreme combination, but it seems to exhibit powerful antidepressant effects. Clomipramine on its own is regarded by many as maybe the most powerful non-MAOI antidepressant, at least in clinical practice and inpatient care, although the side effects can be quite rough, but combined with Tryptophan and Lithium it seems to be further boosted in its effect size and response rate.
      Maybe worth trying before hopping on ECT / MAOIs...
      One has to be careful because it is a small sample case "study", but nonetheless quite interesting to read. I encourage all those who have a view or experience to share it with us, regarding the aforementioned medications and especially the combination. Greetings!
    • By Blahblah
      Have a strong itch to drop Effexor...(I won't go cold turkey). It stopped my dysphoric crying spells, but now, 10 months later, I'm feeling increasingly flat, apathetic, numb, no motivation (even after dropping to 75mg). I hate how all A/Ds have this lobotomy effect on me longterm. It's initially fine in acute episodes, I'm not sad now, but I can't function properly, and I continue to score Moderate-Severe on the depression scale.
      I think it's counteracting my Ritalin (which I increased to 30-40mg)? I don't want to increase Effexor above 150mg, I'd never be able to go off.
      I'm trying dosing at night instead, will this make any difference @mikl_pls ? I skipped yesterday's morning dose (then came the intense nausea, over stimulation & brain slosh awfulness @10 hours later) and I took my dose with dinner.
      I'm seriously considering going on low-dose mild SSRI instead (Prozac?) I'm sensitive to meds & side effects, and I'm also VERY worried about withdrawals. Especially from Effexor, they are the WORST, and I just read study that Effexor withdrawal syndrome is not dose-dependent:
      https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7402189_Venlafaxine_and_Serious_Withdrawal_Symptoms_Warning_to_Drivers
      https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/24/woman-shares-coming-off-antidepressant-ruined-life-7255570/

• By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      just started Lithium yesterday. I know it can take several weeks to work, but I already feel it clearing my head a bit.
      question tho. Can lithium make anxiety worse in the beginning - like SSRI’s? Because I now find myself very panicky
      I am also on lexapro and mirtazapine. 
    • By Blahblah
      Been on Effexor (again) 4 months. Went up to 225mg, but the lethargy and apathy was getting worse, along with excessive sweating. I'm typically someone that runs more cold (usually takes a lot for me to sweat at all!) So this is upsetting. I've started working out everyday and after the warm-up, sweat is pouring down my face & neck. Sweat towel makes no difference. I get out of class and it looks like I just stepped out of shower.
      At moment I'm on 112mg and this sweating persists. Would going down to 75mg be better?? Anyone recommend something with the least amount of side effects (especially no weight gain or lethargy) I'm thinking maybe just screw it, and going on something easy/basic like low-dose Prozac (also makes me sort of apathetic, guess I can't escape that)
      I cannot take Glycopyrrolate (anticholinergic drug that reduces saliva, sweating, etc) because it worsens my severe dry eye syndrome & blurry vision. Lamictal + Ritalin have been moderately helpful (for stabilization, slight motivation) but I need a bit more antidepressant boost to cover some intermittent labile/low moods.