CrazyBoards.org

Should I worry about taking Klonopin daily?

I've never been on many benzos (xanax for sleep once, ativan a few times for dentist visits) but was recently asked to switch to Klonopin for my chronic insomnia/RLS.

I'm taking 1mg a night, along with some Neurontin (which helps my tinnitus, and my doc is OK with it and aware) and I sleep quite well, at least compared to Ambien (which doesn't work nearly as well as when I started taking it) and drugs which don't work at all for me anymore (Trazodone, Benadryl, etc.)

Should I be concerned about becoming habituated to this?  Should I consider alternating  it weekly with other medications or something?

Klonopin has a long half-life, and I believe is therefore less addictive than say Xanax.  I take valium, sometimes daily, sometimes not at all.  I don't think I have ever become terribly addicted.  I would be surprised if you could even get a script long enough from your doc for it to become a  big problem.  Most docs are pretty hesitant to prescribe benzos longterm.

Dee

if you take it every day you may become habituated to it, or you may not as you're only taking it at night.  the only time i became habituated/hooked/what-have-you on klonopin was when i was taking it 3 times a day for about two months.  then i had to taper down off it to get back to a PRN schedule.

right now i take xanax xr nearly every day, but on the days that i do skip it i don't notice an issue because for me, it doesn't last as long as the nice manufacturers say it will, and so it's not really in my body all the time.  or at least that's my assumption.

if you're really worried about this, talk to your doctor.  if there's one thing pdocs love to hear (other than that their patients are happy) is that they are active in their own care and don't want to end up in situation where they are dangerously dependant on a medication.

all that said, when i did taper off, it wasn't that difficult.  (for me, for some it is)

also, if you and your doctor decide that you should not take it every night, you may not have to alternate weeks.  sometimes just a brief "drug holiday" on the weekends or every other weekend will suffice.  or a holiday when you start to notice that you're anticipating taking it, if that makes sense, which it may not.

penny

Its important with benzos in particular that you take them as prescribed by your dr.

Of course, over time you get a personal feeling for how often you need the drug and at what dose etc.  This is a discussion you need to have with your dr when you are ready.

It is common for benzos to be prescribed daily in some cases, and 1mg certainly isnt a large dose of klonopin.  Having said that, benzos arent strictly designed for sleep - fatigue is merely a side effect of these anti-anxiety drugs.

Due to the long half life of klonopin, you may find 4 times per week is enough (every other day) as the drug takes a long time to metabolise - taking it at night will still affect you the following day.

I do stress however that its best to take as prescribed and then have the discussion with your dr, with a fallback plan should things not work out. 

If indeed over time you do become addicted, your dr should be able to gradually bring you off the drug with the help of some diazepam perhaps.  Its important to taper slowly and carefully to avoid withdrawal, but its all do-able.

Something else you may want to think about is why you are having trouble sleeping. Is it anxiety? Or panic?

I have been going through this weird stage for about 6 months now of feeling very sleepy, taking my meds ( klonopin .75 mgs at night, and Neurontin 1200 mgs and clonidine 1mg) half an hour before bed, and then heading to bed - where I proceed within 30 minutes to have an all out panic attack.

I do NOT know why. But it is getting old.

My p-doc added a little ativan. It "sort of works".  But my major trick that works the best is a headset and music. I listen to meditation music and on some nights am asleep 15 minutes into the CD.

On other nights I listen to several CD's. They made a series of 5 CD's with the meditation music. It really is awesome when my heart isn't pounding and I am not sweating and flipping out. ;)

Check their web site "The Sounds of Source" - I suggest 1, 3, and 4 if you are interested.

Maybe it's time for a new trick besides a med? It's worth a try and like I say, on some nights this works really well for me. I would say 4 out of 7.

Breeze

I've been taking .5mg of Klonopin three times a day for a while now.  Sometimes I forget and there's no effects on me.  But I don't have an addicting behavior.  It really chills me out and its really alot less habituating than the strong/fast acting one's.  Those you get a high off of.  K you don't unless you take more than rx at once.

;)

actually, in terms of a mg to mg comparison... klonopin is one of the strongest benzos.  it is considered to be less addictive because of the longer half life.  the long half life allows you to take it less often, so that you don't experience the problems of feeling it wearing off, the panic returning, and needing to take another plll multiple times a day as you would with something like xanax.  this leads to a higher change of mental addiction as you get used to taking the pill multiple times a day and anticipating it's effects wearing off.  (also xanax can be slightly euphoric in some people.)  but, klonopin is not favored by doctors because it is a weaker drug, but because of its long half life.

I've been taking .5mg of Klonopin three times a day for a while now.  Sometimes I forget and there's no effects on me.  But I don't have an addicting behavior.  It really chills me out and its really alot less habituating than the strong/fast acting one's.  Those you get a high off of.  K you don't unless you take more than rx at once.

;)

I take .5 klonopin 3 x day, plus 1.5 klonopin at bedtime with my 30 mg. restoril.  I've only been on this regimen for about 4 weeks and it really seeems to help with the anxiety.  I'm not afraid to drive any more.  I was taking the daytime klonopin on a PRN basis, but pdoc says it is easier the "keep a horse in a corral than lasso him after he's out" (she's a Texan).

Tommy

I'm RXed 2mg K a day prn. I can take it THAT MUCH when I feel like I need that much and some days I don't use any. Lately I've felt addiction however. When I usually don't take any, like on the weekends when I'm not at work, I feel my heart race and sweat and shake until I take my K. It is something to be aware of and careful about.

I usually take 1mg a day while I'm at work, and none at home. I'm constantly terrified at work that I'm going to be fired (what anxiety disorder is that?!), so I take the K to give myself a mental break from the anxiety and a chance to work. Otherwise I would be canned! LOL

As an adult, you have the right to accept responsibility for the decisions you make regarding your medical care. I'm a firm believer that if you accept the possibility of addiction that you should take whatever you need to take in order to function. If this becomes a problem, then speak to your doctor and work it out. I just believe that we own our own bodies and can decide what to put in them.

As an adult, you have the right to accept responsibility for the decisions you make regarding your medical care. I'm a firm believer that if you accept the possibility of addiction that you should take whatever you need to take in order to function. If this becomes a problem, then speak to your doctor and work it out. I just believe that we own our own bodies and can decide what to put in them.

you said that so well.  just... perfectly.

thank you

Archived