Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

So what was the biggest help for your OCD symptoms


Recommended Posts

Over the last few years, I've noticed that once my depression is under control, my OCD takes over.  And I haven't found anything that helps the OCD yet.  I've tried nac and starting the OCD workbook.  I can't take ssri meds because they send my moods twirling.  

The intrusive thoughts, constant checking, only allowing certain numbers in anything I use, having to step on everything symmetrically, fearing my thoughts are going to cause things to happen.....I could go on, but those are examples of what I deal with daily.  I would really like a better handle on this stuff. 

So in my search for ideas, i would love to hear what has worked for other people.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read therapy is best, I've avoided therapy because of my insurance, I'd be basically paying out of pocket.  Maybe it would be worth it.  I could set up a payment plan I suppose.  It might be worth it.  There are a lot of hours I waste on checking and other rituals.  I could get that time back for productive things if I had this thing under control.

I'm also starting to do some meditation & mindfulness on my own.  High hopes for that.  

not so sure about the risperdal since I already take another AAP.  But something to keep in the back of my head if everything else fails.

Thank you both

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the combination of adderall and Valium controls about 70% of my OCD. It used to be Lamictal that would help but I had to discontinue due to the rash. Valium is a placeholder while I find something else to calm the intrusive thoughts as I know benzos aren't ideal for long term usage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2018 at 7:24 PM, quietly bonkers said:

I've read therapy is best, I've avoided therapy because of my insurance, I'd be basically paying out of pocket.  Maybe it would be worth it.  I could set up a payment plan I suppose.  It might be worth it.  There are a lot of hours I waste on checking and other rituals.  I could get that time back for productive things if I had this thing under control.

I have very bad OCD.....So bad that I can't leave my house without help......Unfortunately, I have yet to find any meds that help my OCD.

I have heard of a therapy for OCD that is called ERP (Exposure and Response Prevention)....It is a type of CBT therapy, but not all therapists are well-versed in it:     https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/treatment/erp/

ERP is now considered to be the gold standard of therapy for OCD, but I have yet to locate a therapist in my area that is trained in it....        https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/exposure-and-response-prevention-erp-therapy-for-obsessive-compulsive-and-related-disorders/

Edited by CrazyRedhead
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I have very bad OCD.....So bad that I can't leave my house without help......Unfortunately, I have yet to find any meds that help my OCD.

I have heard of a therapy for OCD that is called ERP (Exposure and Response Prevention)....It is a type of CBT therapy, but not all therapists are well-versed in it:     https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/treatment/erp/

ERP is now considered to be the gold standard of therapy for OCD, but I have yet to locate a therapist in my area that is trained in it....        https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/exposure-and-response-prevention-erp-therapy-for-obsessive-compulsive-and-related-disorders/

What kind of meds have you tried?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah...I guess that would have been the obvious thing to do :lol:

You said you can't locate a therapist in your area that provides adequate ERP service; have you tried looking for online therapy options?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SKC said:

You said you can't locate a therapist in your area that provides adequate ERP service; have you tried looking for online therapy options?

ERP therapy online wouldn't work too well, from what I have read about it.....

According to most info I have personally found about ERP,  it is most effective when conducted with a therapist in person......

I would be very interested in talking to someone who has actually done the therapy, and what their experience was.......Maybe I should start another thread about that.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be interested too, I have read about ERP and it sort of terrifies me, because it requires "leaning in" to your intrusive thoughts and not doing the rituals one usually does to combat them.  I struggle to leave the house also, and the only way I can do it is through a very specific set of rituals that have to be done otherwise I'll go into such a panic that I can't function and end up turning around and going back home anyways.  If I think about not doing those rituals, it scares me to no end.  I would guess a good therapist has dealt with this and knows how to handle it, I'd be curious how it has worked for people that have done it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@CrazyRedhead If you can't find an ERP therapist, ACT therapy may be easier to find and is definitely worth a try. My therapist is still in the process of figuring out what style is best for me, but ACT is one that she suggested.

Quote

The effectiveness of ACT for OCD has recently been tested in a large trial funded through the National Institute of Mental Health (Twohig et al. 2010) In this study, eight one-hour sessions of ACT for OCD with no in-session ERP were compared to Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR), with assessments taken at pre-treatment, post-treatment, and at a three month follow-up. PMR was viewed as a control condition in this experiment, so most of this review will focus on the results for the ACT condition. In this study, 79 adults (41 in the ACT condition) diagnosed with OCD were treated. All types of OCD were included in this study (hoarding, primary obsessions, checking, cleaning, etc.) and there were very few exclusion criteria, thus, hopefully representing a fairly realistic sample of participants. The treatment was found to be highly acceptable. Only 12% of the sample in the ACT condition refused or dropped out, which is quite low for OCD treatment trials. All participants in the ACT condition rated the treatment as a 4 or greater on a 5 point scale, with 5 being the most positive score. These findings are meaningful because low drop-out and high acceptability are difficult to achieve in the treatment of OCD.

 Link to information about ACT and the source of the above clinical trial information.

Edited by SKC
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SKC said:

@CrazyRedhead If you can't find an ERP therapist, ACT therapy may be easier to find and is definitely worth a try. My therapist is still in the process of figuring out what style is best for me, but ACT is one that she suggested.

 Link to information about ACT and the source of the above clinical trial information.

Thanks so much for the link......:)........I will check it out, and ask my current therapist if she is familiar with it.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...