CrazyBoards.org

I just haven't been motivated to exercise that past couple years other than a few easy walks.  I just got some space cleared in the garage and my power rack set up so now I can give working out another try.

Tommy

Witchywoman,

This is a classic side effect from Lamictal. Muscle stiffness, heaviness of limbs and fatigue with achiness. Typically these are worst on first starting Lamictal or with dosage increases but eases with time.

So no you aren't making this up.  It can be hard to get family and others to understand how it feels.

Hope you feel better soon.

A.M.

Thanks AirMarshall.  Im glad it's not just me.  I was thinking it might be the Lamictal, because my pdoc just raised it up to 150mg about a week or so ago.

At least Witchtwoman has lots of ambition. I'm jelous of that for sure. Good goin!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's really hard to exercise, believe me.  I have to force myself.  It's hard.

This does sound like a Lamictal trouble, I had very similar problems while increasing my dose. And, of course, I thought I was just turning into a lazy bump on a log -- or on a computer chair as the case might be.

I do recall that the Lamictal effects went away over a fairly short time.

Of course, that getting to the gym thing is still a regular struggle for me, but that has more to do with motivation and depression and less to do with medication. Since you already exercise regularly, you should escape this part.

And what exactly is your secret to exercising five days a week?

Fiona

Walk away the pounds is a great starter 1 mile(indoor in place  walking program for those who hate going to the gym.. MOI. you can walk as many miles as you want..Buy seperate or keep rewinding tapes ..

I work out  everyday as well but always alternate because I get bored.. AT home

If I do not I feel depressed.

I have bought equipment over the years so I am set up at home..

Years ago, I started my exercise program using Richard Simmons and everyone

thought it was a joke but I really resent that but he is a great person who helped so many people come back from near death because of their weight  .

He is a motivator and made me start a new way of life.. Frosty.

I just force myself to do it.  I also do exercise I enjoy (Walk Away the Pounds and Pilates).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love Pilates -- it's the one exercise that I can consistently do once I get started. It's the getting started on something energy that defeats me.

I don't know if this is connected, but I'm taking a med that tends to lower my blood pressure so I'm out of breath and exhausted before I get to my previous top level on the treadmill, for example. So I used to consider 3.5 mi/hour a good pace that I could easily interval up higher and 4mi/hour as achievable. Now it takes a lot to get to even the 3.5 number, because of the lack of blood pressure, high heart rate, and feeling like I can't get enough air. (Yes, pdoc knows, we decided this was a reasonable side effect for the result.)

Fiona

i AM NOT TRYING TO BE A KNOW IT ALL BUT IF YOU DO only PILATES... THE KEY TO EXERCISE IS CARDIO.. i DO NOT BELEIVE THAT THE PILATES I USED TO DO. IS CARDIO VASCULAR BENEFICIAL.IT

i AM NOT TRYING TO BE A KNOW IT ALL BUT IF YOU DO only PILATES... THE KEY TO EXERCISE IS CARDIO.. i DO NOT BELEIVE THAT THE PILATES I USED TO DO. IS CARDIO VASCULAR BENEFICIAL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, it isn't a cardio exercise and I need to do that as well. I just really enjoy the Pilates. I have a DVD that claims to be "cardio-Pilates" which seems to be some rapid standing moves in between some of the 'sets' of related Pilates exercises. I hope not, I just can't reasonably standup that fast from laying down -- heck, that would be a cardio exercise by itself!

I have three major projects due in the next week or so, after that I'll have more time and can go to the gym regularly. It's easier when I don't have other things that are more important than very nearly absolutely anything else in life.

Fiona

i used to do 1-on-1 pilates lessons.  one day i wore a heart rate monitor.  it seemed pretty cardio to me.  i can't remember the number now that i was at (or around) but it was in that zone of heart rate that you're 'supposed' to hit.  (sorry, i was much more into fitness then than now and it's been a while.  now that i'm not as ill as i was i'll be restarting pilates, but i can't remember the number... whatever)  anyway, i guess it depends upon what style of pilates you do.

i used to do 1-on-1 pilates lessons.  one day i wore a heart rate monitor.  it seemed pretty cardio to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll have to check on this myself. I always think of cardio as something you should be standing up to do, but you're right that some Pilates does go a bit quickly and I do notice the elevated heart rate. Fortunately it doesn't matter since I'm already laying down.

Fiona

Minimum  target heart rate

For women it is 226 - your age multiplied  by 70 percent

Ok Fiona let s say you are  25

226 -25 = 201 x 70 % = minimum of approx 140 ..beats per minute.

Just a general way to calculate.. Never go that High if you feel like you cannot

talk, get dizzy or feel faint. Start lower. Maximum is 80% same formula.

Men  220 - age x 70 %. Miimum target heart rate.

Chest monitors are the best especially those with alarms if you overdo it... An alarm goes off till you go back within your range..

Oh my heart rate has gone up doing floor work as well. Bicycle for abs.. lots of stuff..

Archived