CrazyBoards.org

I am 22 y/o and have filed for SSI twice. The first time I got denied I didn't appeal within 60 days so I had to apply all over again. Now I am going through to extensive appeal process and no lawyer seems to want to help me. They claim since I am young, I almost need to have schizophrenia or an autistic/spectrum disorder to be able to actually be approved and get benefits otherwise it is going to be very hard to get SSI. Now here are some of the facts of my case. I was fired from my job last November due to "no call, no show" because I was in a bipolar depressive episode where I literally didn't leave my room but maybe 5x to make a microwave meal and shower once. This episode lasted a little bit shy of 2 weeks. So for my 3 no call, no shows I was terminated from my job at University. I asked if they would accept a physician's note explaining my circumstances but the manager actually refused documentation, saying "No it's not necessary, I don't need that". She also said that I should have called and at least have told her what was going on so she knew I couldn't come in, but let's be real guys, doing that during a severe bipolar depressive episode is like writing a PhD dissertation in less than a day. So I applied for unemployment and get a denial letter saying I am denied benefits of $50/week because they contacted my former employer and was told I was terminated for misconduct. So that was the end of that.

I had applied for SSI last year around August I would say and was denied 1st time. Re-applied December and got denial letter again, this time on Feb. 8th stating "your conditions are not severe enough for you not to work. You are capable of substantial gainful activity". Yet on my listed disabilities I listed epilepsy (reoccurring grand-mal seizures), bipolar disorder NOS,  insomnia NOS, ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, manic episodes, social anxiety disorder, delayed sleep phase syndrome, and listed all the medications I was on and how some of them has side effects that were impairing themselves. Has anyone here who is young actually gotten approved for SSI benefits? If so, how many times did it take for you to finally get approved and did you use a lawyer to help you through the process? Also, if you don't mind, what conditions/disabilities did you report to them that you believed qualified you for SSI or SSDI? I can't apply for SSDI because I don't have enough work credits so I can only apply for SSI. This whole process kinda sucks and is difficult especially for people with disabilities. So frustrating. 

9 hours ago, mmaryland said:

This whole process kinda sucks and is difficult especially for people with disabilities. So frustrating. 

I agree....I've been through the process myself and it is frustrating......I get SSDI.

I was turned down the first time, and then after I got a disability lawyer to help me, I got approved on the appeal, at the reconsideration level......The chances of approval are higher, in general, if you have an attorney or a representative to help you, but even if you have a lawyer, it's still no guarantee that you'll win.

Also, there are people who have been approved on first try with no lawyer or representative, but these cases tend to be VERY severe (psychosis, suicide attempts, hospitalization, or multiple hospitalizations, and unable to even care for their own basic needs).

The lawyer I got sent some questionnaires for my pdoc to fill out before they accepted my case.....I guess disability attorneys want to know what your doctor thinks about your ability to work, before they accept your case, because they don't get any money unless you win.

I guess my next question is, is your pdoc supportive of you trying to get SSI?......Does your doc think you can work?

If you're applying for SSI/SSDI, it's very important to have a doc who is supportive.....I would suggest asking your doc what he/she thinks about it, if you haven't already.

How many  disability lawyers have you contacted?.....And have you filed  for a hearing yet after you were turned down the second time?

If you are turned down 2 times, the next step is applying for a hearing in front of a judge.....Currently, depending on where you live, wait times for a hearing can be as long as 1-2 years.....It is important to have a lawyer or a representative if you have to go before a judge.

I am very fortunate that I was approved on the second try, and did not have to wait for a hearing.

To add to this, I would like to emphasize that a diagnosis of something is not enough to get approved......The diagnosed condition (or conditions) has to be so severe that it affects your ability to work at any job, even a minimum wage job.

I will admit that I am quite a bit older than you, and that it's somewhat easier to get approved if you're over 50, but it's still not guaranteed........I was approved for depression, anxiety, and OCD.

Again, I will emphasize that the most important thing, IMO, is to have your doctor's support that you are unable to work....I strongly recommend talking to your pdoc about this and see what they think.

Also, are you currently working or going to school?.....Many disability lawyers think that if someone is working (even part-time), or going to school, that their disability must not be that severe.

Sorry this was so long, but just wanted to give you all the insight I can.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

@mmaryland

I got it at 24 I think because it was 10 years ago.  I have SZA bipolar type and GAD (which was all I had at the time). I got it on the first try with no lawyers and no outside help or advocates. My mom filled out most of it along with the help of my social worker. I was in a state hospital and had been there for months. I don't remember the process and I was approved very quickly. I don't remember filling anything out or signing much. Sorry. 

I was so psychotic and out of it because I was heavily medicated for my safety. I couldn't take care of my basic needs at all and all I did was pace the halls listening to the voices in my downtime, while other times they made me attend groups that were very basic like telling us to brush our teeth and shower every day. I had a hard time focusing on that. My favorite group was the one that taught me how to crochet because it spoke to me in a different way. I could use my hands and I had a knack for it. I am forever grateful for that group and the woman who taught us. 

Anyway, I can't believe you can't get a lawyer to help you! Are you in school or something or starting a new job that makes you "look good on paper"? I suppose that if you are in school they expect that you will work a job once you get your degree. That is sad and makes me upset that people would judge. Nothing is a guarantee. But I'm sure the judging happens. Ugh.

I had to quit school and I lost my part time job and my apartment when I had been in the state hospital for so long. I just don't understand why no one can help you. What about an advocate? Have you contacted anyone like that? The county MH clinics should have them if you go to one for treatment. Even if you don't go there maybe they could still help you. Something to look into anyway. 

I was approved for SSDI a couple years ago in my early 30s (think my established onset date was around age 31). I put anxiety and depression down on my application. I think my pdoc has me diagnosed with panic disorder and idiopathic hypersomnia while my psychologist has me diagnosed with GAD and dysthymia. I was denied twice (initial and reconsideration) and then was approved after a hearing with a judge. I just see a pdoc and psychologist, no inpatient hospitalizations or ECT, although I did briefly attend an IOP/PHP program. I agree with much of what CrazyRedhead wrote. My pdoc was very onboard with trying to get me approved and was pretty good about documenting things because she also was helping me get approved for LTD (longterm disability) through my employer. My psychologist did not take a position either way.

Edited by aquarian

@CrazyRedhead I have mentioned it to my doc once and she filled out a form but I lost it. She probably doesn't think I can work due to my manic episodes and severe ADHD, coupled with my newly onset reoccurring seizures I am having with no explanation...so far. I am in college taking 15 credits, but I am literally so behind it's not even funny. I am about 20 assignments behind, not to mention 2 incomplete courses from last semester due to mental health reasons, but SSA doesn't consider any of this. I don't know what happened with the 2nd denial, but I am elgible to apply for reconsideration/appeal online or have them mail me the paperwork. I have a doc appointment on Monday so I will definitely bring this up to her and see what she has to say about it. I was just manic for 2-3 weeks before getting on Vraylar which really screwed up my grades, ability to function and do any type of school work. I am seeing a neuropsychiatrist soon, a neurologist, a physical therapist, and a cardiologist because I was in a major motor vehicle accident on Jan 5 and had a severe grand--mal seizure the 29th of Jan. So yea I guess they think because I am attending college that my disability is not severe enough to win an SSI case, but if they would see how much I am struggling in school they would possibly reconsider (I am borderline being kicked out because my attendance and grades are so bad I had to meet with the dean of the college). 

@Wonderful.CheeseYou're case is someone more severe than mine given the SZA bipolar type, but I still feel impaired on a daily basis to function normally and complete simple tasks like clean my room, do laundry, remember to eat, brush my teeth, shower, etc. I mean i feel like a walking piece of crap and nobody wants to help me (except you guys). I too dont remember filling out the SSI application the first time but I apparently did because my therapist has it in her records that we were talking about it and she faxed it over to them, my function report paperwork. And yes me too I cannot believe no lawyer will help me. I am in college as I previously stated in this post above but I definitely do not look good on paper. I am also about to retroactively withdraw from this semester because I am doing so poorly but I have so much stress on my back because I feel bad about my parents loosing their tuition money and housing money that has already been paid for. I know health comes first, but the guilt I would suffer would be immense. I will look into the mental health clinics, and have before asked SSA for help from someone on their end but they were very rude and claimed there was no such thing. 

@aquarian I have been hospitalized 3-4 times for seizures, no mental health hospitalizations, but I have heard that hearings do take 1-2 years to even get one. I will see if my pdoc is on board with this, i mean we meet on a weekly basis and she notes high suicide risk or severe depression almost every time, only way I know this is because one of my therapists lets me know how well I am doing according to my pdocs chart. anyway, how does SSA choose which medical documentation they are going to use and what they are not going to consider? this most recent denial they literally used only 30% of my records to make the decision. How do i get them to consider ALL of my medical records? this is just so crazy what they put us through when we can barely function baseline as it is. and i dont even want long term disability, i just want something to get me off my feet so i can get going just a little bit and provide for my necessary needs like food, prescriptions, housing, etc. 

If you have been denied the first time, I would get a advocacy service or lawyer. The are paid the same amount(government set) and comes out of back pay. I'm hard pressed to tell the difference  between the 2 as I had a lawyer by my side in the hearing. My judge commented how easy it is when the paperwork is organized by a professional. "It makes making a decision much easier", he said. And boom, I had an oral decision right there. No waiting for a written one, 3-5 months. I used Citizens Disability, which should be able to handle all cases in the US.

8 hours ago, mmaryland said:

I have a doc appointment on Monday so I will definitely bring this up to her and see what she has to say about it.

So yea I guess they think because I am attending college that my disability is not severe enough to win an SSI case, but if they would see how much I am struggling in school they would possibly reconsider (I am borderline being kicked out because my attendance and grades are so bad I had to meet with the dean of the college). 

this most recent denial they literally used only 30% of my records to make the decision. How do i get them to consider ALL of my medical records? 

Yes, it is extremely important to find out if your pdoc believes you can work or not, before going forward on this....Do not neglect to ask her about it at your next appointment.....If you have any other docs that SSA might be receiving records from, it would be a good idea to see  what they think, also.

Unfortunately, you may have to quit college before a disability attorney will even consider helping you......The cold hard truth is, that disability lawyers don't really consider that you are struggling in school....College is very demanding on even neuro-normal people, so some of them struggle too......The fact that you are just attending college is enough for most disability attorneys to turn down your case.

As for your medical records, maybe they just didn't receive all of them.....Sometimes SSA drops the ball on getting 100% of your  relevant medical records in, before making a decision......The only way for you to make sure that SSA gets all of your records, is to  personally go and have your doc(s) copy all your records, and deliver or mail them to SSA yourself.....Your doc(s) may charge to print out all the records for you, if you decide to go that route.

It is relevant to mention that if you had an good attorney or a good representative/advocate helping you, they would be the ones making sure that SSA receives all your records, not just part of them.

Keep us informed on what's going on........I'm hoping that you can get a lawyer or advocate who's willing to help you.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

@mmaryland

I don't think my case is more severe. I think we all suffer a lot here. I'm still just dumbstruck that no one will help you. Makes me mad. You deserve some help and guidance as you go through this process.  

I agree that your pdoc should be on board. Make sure all your Drs are. Because SSA is getting records from all your Drs that you list, I'm sure. 

Maybe the name notloki said could help. Or another advocacy service at the county clinics like I said. I know at my clinic there is a lady there who works magic and really knows her stuff. She is amazing. I hope you can find someone like that. I think they wouldn't charge or it might be a sliding scale fee. That's how mine works anyway. 

I wish it weren't so hard for some people who need the help. It's not right. I got very lucky I think. I hope you will have some luck too, and sooner rather than later. 

12 hours ago, mmaryland said:

anyway, how does SSA choose which medical documentation they are going to use and what they are not going to consider? this most recent denial they literally used only 30% of my records to make the decision. How do i get them to consider ALL of my medical records?

I think CrazyRedhead already covered this, but if they only listed 30% of your medical records in the denial letter, that usually means that's all the medical records they were able to obtain. It's best not to rely on SSA 100% to get all of your medical records. I'm somewhat lazy and not proactive so I just talked to my pdoc and tdoc to make sure they faxed in their records when requested. And their records both showed up on my denial. This is bad of me, but I didn't even bother listing the PHP/IOP pdoc I saw briefly or the program because I knew SSA would probably have an impossible time trying to obtain those. On my own I couldn't even find a fax number to where they could request for those records (it's part of a big medical system here).

However, when my lawyer asked for a list of doctors I did include the name of the PHP/IOP pdoc and the program I briefly attended. They had a difficult time getting the records but were persistent in finding out what offices to contact to get the records and kept trying and trying until they got them. I don't think those were critical for my approval but they may have playing a small supporting role since it was mentioned at my hearing that I had difficulty even with PHP/IOP.

If you find a lawyer, sometimes they will have a questionnaire designed to elicit responses about key issues from your doctors (mine did). Others use a generic RFC form, but I think a targeted questionnaire can be better. Both my pdoc and tdoc provided short answer responses on the questionnaire form the lawyer's office used for mental impairments. Also, I think my lawyer provided a brief before the hearing citing specific supporting exhibits/evidence. A pre-hearing brief is listed under "Best Practices For Claimants' Representatives". I ended up equaling a listing after a hearing despite being denied initially and at reconsideration. Yes, the wait for a hearing is long (1-2 years usually). 

1 hour ago, aquarian said:

If you find a lawyer, sometimes they will have a questionnaire designed to elicit responses about key issues from your doctors (mine did)

This is exactly what my lawyer did, also.

My lawyer had questionnaire for each medical specialty and said getting the docs to fill them out was the single most important thing to do to get disability. My pdoc was not real supportive but I did not care. It is a fact he has me on a boatload of meds. You do not get to this point having mild mental illness. I also have physical disability and my generalist was in full support and wrote I was 100% disabled and there was no job I could do.