CrazyBoards.org

Zoloft again?

I was on zoloft a few years ago but now the Dr prescribed again. I found out tht I feel zombie like on anitdepress and since I stopped paxil I feel more human like and less depressed ( besides the situational times like work stress and pms). I got the prescription but I  havent been taking the medicine.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do not feel good on Zoloft, why did your doc prescribe it?

I have had success on Zoloft on more than one occasion, but if it does not work for you taking it simply wastes time and frustrates.

Yeah, its not like there arent other options. Prozac and Lexapro are other ssri's which could be appropriate.  Also an SNRI like effexor or a NARI like reboextine could be effective. The NARI's are generally milder in affect and a lot of people swear by them.  Wellbutrin is also a popular anti-depressant in the US.

The only reason zoloft would be a better option than say lexapro is because of all the ssri's it has the reputation of being the safest to take while pregnant.  Its a cat B rather than a C or D which the others are. 

• 1 month later...
Guest shigg

I noticed your Dx is 'Lack of Motivation' and that you're also on Adderall, which tells me you could perhaps have Inattentive ADD, like myself, with depression? Ever consider Wellbutrin? Not only is it a stimulating AD, it hits up norepinephrine and dopamine, two neuro-ts' thought to increase motivation. SSRIs can make you happier, but less motivated if you're in the ADD crowd -- and even if you're not.

Zoloft had the same effect on me, but adding Wellbutrin took care of that very quickly. I'm on 300 mg of Wellbutrin and 25 mg of Adderall with the Zoloft, and it works nicely. I should also mention many consider Zoloft to be the most activating of the SSRIs if that makes any difference on your flavor of SSRIs.

best

Zoloft and Prozac both turned me into a zombie so it's no more SSRIs for me.  Wellbutrin did the trick by itself for a few years, and now it's augmented with Topomax, an off-label usage of an anti-seizure med, and Vivactil, the most activating of the tricyclics. 

I have recurrect major depression, atypical, which means I sleep and eat way too much, and also dysthymia, a sort of low-level constant depression; please forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know.  I mostly resemble a three-toed sloth when I'm feeling down and the SSRIs weren't my ticket out of the abyss.  They don't sound like they are for you, either.

Is it possible for you to see another pdoc that you're more comfortable with/like better/have more confidence in?  If not, can you call and tell them the new drug isn't working and you need to see the pdoc ASAP?  There're too many drugs out there these days to suffer in silence.  Good luck finding the ones that work for you.

P.S.  I just looked at the date of your original post, Sensation, (Feb. 27) and I hope by now you're on your way with some new meds.  Please keep us updated when you get the chance. 

Archived