CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
SheltieUnderdog

Utterly intolerant to Antipsychotics, Strongly considering Lithium or Lamictal as Monotherapy for Schizoaffective Disorder.

13 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Sheltie, you’re treading very close to one of CB’s no-no’s, which is the categoric condemnation of an entire class of medications. You’re equivocating just enough that I’m going to give you a moment to take a deep breath, stop being combative, and redirect to your original question. You’ve had the chance to vent about APs. OK? So let’s talk about lithium, and lamotrigine.

I have bipolar l. It’s arguable whether I’ve ever been psychotic; I have been manic and sleepless long enough to hallucinate. Blows. If you’d care to read my signature and my list of current meds, you will see that I have earned my stripes on the med-go-round. In the course of doing so, I’ve discovered that sometimes it takes combos to make a med that was previously intolerable work for you.

If you’re any flavor of bipolar, then yes, you need a mood stabilizer. Lithium is the gold standard. It’s the first thing practically everyone with a new bipolar diagnosis gets prescribed. It’s cheap, there are decades of research on it. You need the occasional blood serum level test. Not a big deal. It’s very good for mania. Very good. If becoming psychotic after mania is a problem for you, then I think you might want to start there. 

Lamotrigine is a trickier medication. The titration is complicated. It can be very activating. You might even feel worse before you feel better. It’s the gold standard for bipolar ll, because that activating-y sort of feeling can have an antidepressant action, and bipolar ll has more depression than high-end mania. 

You might also consider Depakote (divalproex sodium). It’s also an anti-seizure medication. Good for mania

I’ve not had great luck with APs. I take a small dose of Seroquel at night to help me sleep. As a day-to-day med I don’t need them; I’m not schizophrenic and don’t have SZA. But when I have a manic episode coming on, I eat APs by the handful until the symptoms stop, as PRNs, as per my pnurse’s directions. It’s what I have to do to keep myself from going nuts. 

You might find that with a mood stabilizer, you can manage without any APs, or that the quantity of them that you need is small enough that you can manage. So I encourage you to continue researching mood stabilizers. Ask questions about them. Ease up on the ranting. 

Hi, Thank You for answering my question directly.  I've been waiting patiently for that. How is Depakote in terms of weight gain, is it at least weight-neutral? I'm being cautious of Lithium because of the explosive weight gain I hear it can potentially cause. I've been prone to all weight gain from any medication I've taken that list it as a side effect. If Lamictal is the gold-standard for Bipolar 2, than it may fail for me despite the clinical studies I've posted claiming its effectiveness in treating psychosis at dosages reaching 400mg or higher. This was observed in 3 female schizoaffective patients it apparently worked on and caused remission of paranoid symptoms. I also have heard about it and witness it causing weight loss for the morbidly obese.

Depression is basically non-existant for me as I'm gradually building up to a psychotic episode. I simply become increasingly manic until the point I'm feeling pleasure from a lot of things to a point it's semi-euphoric. I can relate to your lack of sleep while enduring mania, I want to stay awake and just keep going through the night. My senses are more acute and my reflexes sharpen. I can read and recite things so fast. I'm so focused. Then I start becoming delusional and begin thinking my life was more complicated than it actually is in reality and start thinking the world or a large amount of people might revolve around me. Then I start thinking about acting on it and my mind starts racing and subsequently I develop some paranoia and the pleasantry starts dying away and is replaced by potentially terrifying hallucinations (mostly auditory). I found a way to tolerate this the last time by reducing ambient noise like TV's and the heater and going outside to try starting my car to drive to the hospital (car wouldn't start). As I said, the last time this happened I was sprawling for an AP (which usually goes into sufficient effect within an hour for me),  just didn't have any around because I threw them all out. My psychiatrist should have suggested a mood-stabilizer then and I would have had an answer to this dilemma by now as to whether a consistent AP is necessary. At that point he was just begging me to remain on the Haldol, I declined and dumped all my Zyprexa in the trash. My alternative plan to consistently taking antipsychotics could not be anymore cautious and preemptive than it is now. I just need to settle on a mood-stabilizer as a first choice, like I said I've been sequestered from them due to misfortune and bad timing and decisions. Now I'm planning to give it a full shot.

Thank you again for being informative and direct. Simple as that.   

The problem is that you are trying to convince us now that you have bipolar disorder when the title of this (your) thread says quite clearly schizoaffective. I answered your question directly that neither lithium nor lamotrigine are treatments for schizoaffective and you will surely develop psychoses if you use only mood stabilizers to treat schizoaffective.

Finally, I do not believe your doctors are idiots, and therefore there must be a reason they diagnosed you as schizoaffective and noit bipolar i.

I wanted to add though... Mania can really flip out your brain. Especially if the psychosis always occurs AFTER peak of intense Mania (and insomnia which can cause hallucinations). I had a somewhat similar experience to the OP. I will describe a personal experience regarding this. The first time I was hospitalized as a teen was after I had started my first psych medication (Zoloft). I had a bad reaction - became anxious, distressed, restless and couldn't sleep. (didn't tell the doc because I was told that it takes 2 weeks for you to "get used" to the medication and that it could cause side effects, sleep disturbance.)

Anyhow, after 5 nights of no sleep, I became manic/mixed and started having symptoms of psychosis/paranoia. After I was hospitalized, the doctors threw like 4 different diagnosis (from schizophrenic to schizoaffective, Bipolar etc...(I only had a history of anxiety & depression, never any mania before). They threw antipsychotics at it (and made me stay on them way long after the episode has subsided) but I reacted like the OP, sedated, depressed, flat. Over time, my diagnosis was changed. Other doctors confirmed that this episode was in fact, Med-induced.

My doctors in the hospital (including my initial psychiatrist) all told me that Zoloft NEVER causes psychosis. When if you read the side effects - it says that this is possible, especially in teens! So sometimes doctors can give you the incorrect diagnosis - they make mistakes and they've never probably tried any of these meds, they can't memorize every possible side effect. Especially if you've only seen 1 doctor, its always good to get several opinions! And let someone get to know you over time before slapping a lifelong diagnosis on you.

I think OP would be worth trying Lithium to prevent mania - I hear that Depakote can cause more weight gain. Lamictal is more helpful for depression (less for stopping mania)..

Edited by Blahblah
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jt07 said:

The problem is that you are trying to convince us now that you have bipolar disorder when the title of this (your) thread says quite clearly schizoaffective. I answered your question directly that neither lithium nor lamotrigine are treatments for schizoaffective and you will surely develop psychoses if you use only mood stabilizers to treat schizoaffective.

Finally, I do not believe your doctors are idiots, and therefore there must be a reason they diagnosed you as schizoaffective and noit bipolar i.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else of anything, I'm trying to get additional opinions based on the most accurate reenactment of my symptoms that I'm capable of giving. The reason I chose this thread is because it matches the most recent diagnosis I was given (although questioned by my current psychiatrist, as he's not entirely certain) and I thought I would face more discrimination posting an identical topic within the Bipolar Disorder Thread because potential Schizoaffective Disorder is simply a different animal. I wanted to encounter more individuals who were diagnosed with both disorders actually and render an answer based on everyone's responses, not just yours. You have the right to answer my question, but I also have the right to respond with skepticism. I was using more caution by posting here but made it clear from my original post that I was formerly diagnoses as Bipolar 1 With Psychotic Features by multiple professionals, instructed to take mood-stabilizers alone by professionals, and was unsure about my exact mental disorder myself. I was under the assumption that I was safer posting my question in here and if anyone diagnosed with Bipolar 1 or Schizoaffective Bipolar Type were to catch eye of this and possessed any knowledge that could help me, they would post here and try to help me. I also thought they would at least acknowledge the clinical studies and references I posted about how mood-stabilizers alone "can" treat Schizoaffective Bipolar Type when they reached certain dosages. You seem to be nearly oblivious to anything I have said, and continue to give the same black and white answer. I personally think that's why were conflicting here. I see everything including mental illness in multiple shades and you are simply more black and white, bar none.

Furthermore, I don't recall ever saying that my doctors were idiots within this thread or even alluding to it. I've admittedly done it in the past on here but I was careful not to vent on them this time around. If you can show me evidence of me directly calling any of my doctors idiots, it was done completely by accident and in error of how I actually feel about my current doctors. I'm frustrated with them but I don't exactly see them as  complete idiots.

And it's funny that you mention my doctors in the plural value rather than just single out my current psychiatrist or neurologist. I'm sure yourself, like almost all others on CB Forums do not intend for your medical opinion to be placed over a professional one. As I said, there were several "doctors" in the jail system who were observing me directly after my incident took place who said it was Bipolar 1 With Psychosis Aggravated By Severe Mania. I said this from the beginning. They had seen and heard of the incident that took place on the nighttime news and were talking to me before they made an analysis, drew a conclusion, and prescribed any medications. My diagnosis had been previously Schizoaffective and Bipolar 1 With Psychotic Features preceding that. I realize that this doesn't apply to your most recent response, but are you essentially stating that because you deemed my issue as plain Schizoaffective Disorder that I should only listen to the psychiatrists claiming that it's likely plain Schizoaffective Disorder first, you second, and the psychiatrists claiming it was Bipolar 1 With Psychotic Features last based on your own analysis? Are the professionals claiming it was Severe Mania stupid to believe that it could be Bipolar 1 by this point in time? If my current psychiatrist were emphasizing BP1 only would that make him idiotic?

I think I'm doing a lot of my own legwork in discovering what is actually wrong with me where my doctors have failed or simply aren't interested in immersing themselves any further into my own mind. There simply hasn't been enough psychoanalysis to warrant what any of them are saying about me really. The longest I've ever spent with a psychiatrist in a single appointment is 35 minutes (5 minutes over the maximum time allowed by the agency). I'm currently trying to find a private psychiatrist who will take my insurances.

With that said, while I'm no longer condemning antipsychotics in any way, I believe that the diagnosis's of schizophrenia and schizoaffective should be extremely reserved for only utterly extreme and highly repeated cases (3 or more). Not just 2 incidents where someone still retained lucidity during the immediate evaluations without sufficient psychoanalysis done at any point. Psychiatrists should simply be required to do more work when labeling someone as schizophrenic or schizoaffective rather than just an average 15 to 25 minute interview and slap someone with the label because they have so many patients. Imagine someone who is being wrongly labeled as schizoaffective and being required to take antipsychotics which they're intolerant to because the psychiatrists spent so little time analyzing that specific patient and just tossed them into a wide-bracket cesspool without thorough justification? Imagine how much that patient has to potentially suffer (if they have an intolerance) when they were really just BP1, BP2, or something else overlooked? Psychiatrists should be forced to research to the situation until they can do no more.There should be a criteria that's 5 miles long just to reach the conclusion of schizophrenia. Just my 3 cents on that. 

9 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I wanted to add though... Mania can really flip out your brain. Especially if the psychosis always occurs AFTER peak of intense Mania (and insomnia which can cause hallucinations). I had a somewhat similar experience to the OP. I will describe a personal experience regarding this. The first time I was hospitalized as a teen was after I had started my first psych medication (Zoloft). I had a bad reaction - became anxious, distressed, restless and couldn't sleep. (didn't tell the doc because I was told that it takes 2 weeks for you to "get used" to the medication and that it could cause side effects, sleep disturbance.)

Anyhow, after 5 nights of no sleep, I became manic/mixed and started having symptoms of psychosis/paranoia. After I was hospitalized, the doctors threw like 4 different diagnosis (from schizophrenic to schizoaffective, Bipolar etc...(I only had a history of anxiety & depression, never any mania before). They threw antipsychotics at it (and made me stay on them way long after the episode has subsided) but I reacted like the OP, sedated, depressed, flat. Over time, my diagnosis was changed. Other doctors confirmed that this episode was in fact, Med-induced.

My doctors in the hospital (including my initial psychiatrist) all told me that Zoloft NEVER causes psychosis. When if you read the side effects - it says that this is possible, especially in teens! So sometimes doctors can give you the incorrect diagnosis - they make mistakes and they've never probably tried any of these meds, they can't memorize every possible side effect. Especially if you've only seen 1 doctor, its always good to get several opinions! And let someone get to know you over time before slapping a lifelong diagnosis on you.

I think OP would be worth trying Lithium to prevent mania - I hear that Depakote can cause more weight gain. Lamictal is more helpful for depression (less for stopping mania)..

I don't know if you read everything I had said, but I was also on Zoloft at the time of my 2nd psychotic episode and that was literally all I was taking. My experience differs later on when I revealed this to a psychiatrist at one of the county jails during my little journey. He acknowledged that anyone with Bipolar 1 or Schizoaffective Disorder should avoid Zoloft like the plague when taken by itself while those illnesses are present. He simply said it raises someone's mood gradually too much and can eventually generate psychosis, even if they're just BP1. I listened to him carefully after that and will never take any SSRI, including Zoloft ever again. It's not worth it for myself.

Thank you for the additional information on mood-stabilizers. I'm going to relay all I've learned to my psychiatrist at my following appointment next week in order to make the best decision possible.

Edited by SheltieUnderdog

You should listen to the doctor and/or doctors who have seen you the longest, are most familiar with your case, and know your history the best. Doctors in jails and in hospitals have only a short time window to observe you. Often such diagnoses change when you see an outpatient doctor for a considerable amount of time.

I don't know if you are schizoaffective or not. I do not diagnose. I do, however, go on the title of the thread in which you are seeking advice. I reiterate again that lithium and Lamictal are not generally effective as monotherapy for schizoaffective disorder. That's all I want to say based on the title of this thread. Of course, if the illness becomes rather bipolar I then, yes, lithium can be very effective.

You are going to do what you are going to do regardless of my opinion. That's fine. It's your life. I wish you luck.

A little poking around suggests to me that Depakote is weight neutral or causes a little gain. In your case I would think it was worth trying because the mechanism of action differs from that of AAPs. Conceivably you could lose weight because you wouldn’t be dealing with the AAP-specific side effects.

The thing is that everyone reacts differently to different meds, and you really aren’t going to know until you try. I know that’s no fun, but it’s true. And not only do you have to try, you have to give a med several months to really know for sure if it works or not. 

Since you have a fair amount of insight into how your manias feel as they begin, you could try working with your doctor/s to make a plan to get you sleeping solidly as soon as you notice one starting. That makes a huge difference for me; nothing messes me up worst or faster than not sleeping. So for example, after you find a mood stabilizer you like and that seems to be working pretty well, you could experiment with sleep meds. I need Ambien. Nothing else works. But I have seriously intractable insomnia. You could figure out ahead of time if you needed short-term benzos or trazodone or remeron or Lunesta (etc.) to keep your sleep healthy and stave off mania that way. And yes, in an absolute emergency you might even have to take an antipsychotic for a little while. It’s better than meeting your local boys in blue or involuntary holds. 

• Thanks 1

As far as depakote. It was a miracle drug for me. It stopped hallucinations and racing thiughts in their tracks. I had a pdoc change it because he feels lamictal is safer, but the only side effects i had were: weight gain, i was able to lose what i gained after a couple of months by eating more protein, but i really craved carbs at first. And my hair was brittle so i had to condition it a lot and be gentle.

i keep toying with asking my pdoc (he is a different one). To change it back.

sza disorder dx has psychosis during mood changes and without. It sounds like you may want to get a second opinion on that.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, confused said:

SZA disorder dx has psychosis during mood changes and without. It sounds like you may want to get a second opinion on that.

I very much second that. Write down every single symptom you can think of before you go, so you can tell the whole story concisely. Leave out all medication talk until and unless it become relevant, i.e. new doc begins writing scrips.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jt07 said:

You should listen to the doctor and/or doctors who have seen you the longest, are most familiar with your case, and know your history the best. Doctors in jails and in hospitals have only a short time window to observe you. Often such diagnoses change when you see an outpatient doctor for a considerable amount of time.

I don't know if you are schizoaffective or not. I do not diagnose. I do, however, go on the title of the thread in which you are seeking advice. I reiterate again that lithium and Lamictal are not generally effective as monotherapy for schizoaffective disorder. That's all I want to say based on the title of this thread. Of course, if the illness becomes rather bipolar I then, yes, lithium can be very effective.

You are going to do what you are going to do regardless of my opinion. That's fine. It's your life. I wish you luck.

I think from your point of view that myself switching to a mood-stabilizer as monotherapy will pretty much entirely unmask which type of mental disease I have primarily. If it fails or works after a significantly long enough period of time, it will unequivocally expose whether I have schizoaffective disorder or bipolar 1 psychotic. If it turns out to be schizoaffective disorder, then I must take the antipsychotic PRN immediately. What I do know at this point is that mania plays a large role in whatever imbalance I have present. I can absolutely confirm that.

A final question I have for you is, can someone who's Bipolar 1 With Psychotic Features experience delusions when not manic or must the mania occur before all other symptoms? I know I was manic well before I hallucinated every time but I can't seem to remember if I was always manic while I was delusional. I believe I was, but I'm not completely certain. I just realized that this poses a risk. If I was depressed and delusional or baseline and delusional but not hallucinating at all would that indicate schizoaffective disorder?

Let's just pray that a mood-stabilizer alone is effective. The akathisia in a movie theater or a restaurant, oh my god.

8 hours ago, Gearhead said:

A little poking around suggests to me that Depakote is weight neutral or causes a little gain. In your case I would think it was worth trying because the mechanism of action differs from that of AAPs. Conceivably you could lose weight because you wouldn’t be dealing with the AAP-specific side effects.

The thing is that everyone reacts differently to different meds, and you really aren’t going to know until you try. I know that’s no fun, but it’s true. And not only do you have to try, you have to give a med several months to really know for sure if it works or not. 

Since you have a fair amount of insight into how your manias feel as they begin, you could try working with your doctor/s to make a plan to get you sleeping solidly as soon as you notice one starting. That makes a huge difference for me; nothing messes me up worst or faster than not sleeping. So for example, after you find a mood stabilizer you like and that seems to be working pretty well, you could experiment with sleep meds. I need Ambien. Nothing else works. But I have seriously intractable insomnia. You could figure out ahead of time if you needed short-term benzos or trazodone or remeron or Lunesta (etc.) to keep your sleep healthy and stave off mania that way. And yes, in an absolute emergency you might even have to take an antipsychotic for a little while. It’s better than meeting your local boys in blue or involuntary holds. 

I'm going to mention Lithium and Depakote and relay some of the information I have gotten and go with whichever one my psychiatrist recommends to use first.

I've never been diagnosed with insomnia but my situation is that if I get a good nights rest, I can't sleep for **** the following night and the next day I'll be tired enough that I'll sleep the respective night at the end of that day. I'm not very active with the exception of the akathisia and physical therapy 2x per week. I am currently morbidly obese and have too many orthopedic problems to be active so that may play a role in why I have trouble sleeping in general. I currently depend on Clonazepam 2mg for sleep. I was on Trazadone previously and found it less effective overall, I had to be somewhat tired for it to work at all.

I have sleep apnea and went for an overnight study recently and they wouldn't allow me to carry any medications with me in the facility without authorization from the prescribing doctor (in this case my psychiatrist). The pulmonary center gave me nasty attitude and didn't want to do any additional work getting the script faxed over and deemed it unnecessary so I arrived without the Clonazepam and only slept for about 1 1/2 hours the entire night, not even long enough for them to get the mask on me and evaluate me properly. I now have to return for the sleep study with my Clonazepam in order to even hope to fall asleep long enough the 2nd time. The pulmonary center only started requesting that my psych fax over the script after the 1st test failed and I wasted my time driving and sleeping there that night. They didn't even apologize for not listening to me originally. Just an example of my sleep issues.

8 hours ago, SheltieUnderdog said:

If I was depressed and delusional or baseline and delusional but not hallucinating at all would that indicate schizoaffective disorder?

Depressed and delusional can happen as part of bipolar disorder without it being schizoaffective (because it is during a mood episode). Technically if you have delusions at baseline, with no mood symptoms, I believe that would be suggestive of schizoaffective.

That said, I think there is a lot of gray area and different doctors may call it differently. My current diagnosis is depression with psychotic features but lately Ive been struggling with delusions even when I'm not particularly depressed. If you look at psychotic depression as a situation where depression just gets so extremely severe that it brings on psychosis, I do not fit that profile. However I think part of the reason they are still seeing it as a mood disorder is because my delusions tend to be mood-congruent. So the content of your delusions might be relevant, like if they are mood incongruent and "bizarre" that may suggest schizoaffective.

Im not a doctor and not trying to diagnose one way or the other, just laying out what I understand from my reading trying to understand my own disorder, and what my doctors have told me.

56 minutes ago, Juniper29 said:

Depressed and delusional can happen as part of bipolar disorder without it being schizoaffective (because it is during a mood episode). Technically if you have delusions at baseline, with no mood symptoms, I believe that would be suggestive of schizoaffective.

That said, I think there is a lot of gray area and different doctors may call it differently. My current diagnosis is depression with psychotic features but lately Ive been struggling with delusions even when I'm not particularly depressed. If you look at psychotic depression as a situation where depression just gets so extremely severe that it brings on psychosis, I do not fit that profile. However I think part of the reason they are still seeing it as a mood disorder is because my delusions tend to be mood-congruent. So the content of your delusions might be relevant, like if they are mood incongruent and "bizarre" that may suggest schizoaffective.

Im not a doctor and not trying to diagnose one way or the other, just laying out what I understand from my reading trying to understand my own disorder, and what my doctors have told me.

How long can a period of mania or depression last while someone's delusional with BP1 Psychotic?

2 hours ago, SheltieUnderdog said:

How long can a period of mania or depression last while someone's delusional with BP1 Psychotic?

It really varies. Without the right medication, weeks, months, over a year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SheltieUnderdog said:

I think technically that there isn't a time limit.  Like there isn't one with bipolar generally.  I have a friend who spent a year in and out of psych hospitals being misdiagnosed and mistreated and it took that time for something to knock the mania and psychosis out.  (His med that killed it all was invega.)

2 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

I think technically that there isn't a time limit.  Like there isn't one with bipolar generally.  I have a friend who spent a year in and out of psych hospitals being misdiagnosed and mistreated and it took that time for something to knock the mania and psychosis out.  (His med that killed it all was invega.)

That's still an antipsychotic. They put me on Invega 78mg by injection in the hospital after I resisted arrest in July 2012. It was my 2nd encounter with akathisia and ultimately made me figure out that the restlessness was being caused by the meds they were giving me and not just hyperactivity from my mind racing. My first ever AAP was Abilify in 2011 and I couldn't understand why I simply couldn't manage to sit still for very long. The Invega made me identify this after I went over a year unmedicated and had zero restlessness. The Invega also worsened my gynecomastia and put my prolactin levels off the charts for a male.

My current psych at the time tried cogentin, then artane, and both failed to counteract the aksthisia.Then he basically just told me to live with it.

Right—that’s why I quoted the part I was replying to.  I recognize it’s an AAP.  It was an example of the fact that the bipolar mania and psychosis lasted for a year.

• Like 1

Whether you're BPAD I w/ psychotic features or Schizoaffective: Bipolar type, you're likely going to need an anti-manic drug. As someone else already said, Lithium is the gold standard for mood stabilization and does wonders for people when it works, but it doesn't work for everyone and has the potential to cause serious medical issues. It's also a drug you have to commit to as it'll take time and bloodwork to get you to a therapeutic level and make sure it's not causing harm to your kidneys. And even when you reach a therapeutic level, you'll still have to do blood tests every 3-6 months as long as you're on the drug as well as be careful of drug and food interactions. I think you might be barking up the wrong tree with Lamictal though. > 400mg/day is typically only prescribed when used as an anti-seizure drug, not a mood stabilizer. And even then, Lamictal is only really known for use in the depressed phase of bipolar disorder, not mania. 

You also honestly haven't tried many AP's from either generation. Trilafon, Prolixin, Stelazine, Loxitane, Orap, Rexulti, Vraylar, Geodon, Clozaril, Seroquel, Zyprexa, etc.

18 hours ago, SheltieUnderdog said:

I'm going to mention Lithium and Depakote and relay some of the information I have gotten and go with whichever one my psychiatrist recommends to use first.

I've never been diagnosed with insomnia but my situation is that if I get a good nights rest, I can't sleep for **** the following night and the next day I'll be tired enough that I'll sleep the respective night at the end of that day. I'm not very active with the exception of the akathisia and physical therapy 2x per week. I am currently morbidly obese and have too many orthopedic problems to be active so that may play a role in why I have trouble sleeping in general. I currently depend on Clonazepam 2mg for sleep. I was on Trazadone previously and found it less effective overall, I had to be somewhat tired for it to work at all.

I have sleep apnea and went for an overnight study recently and they wouldn't allow me to carry any medications with me in the facility without authorization from the prescribing doctor (in this case my psychiatrist). The pulmonary center gave me nasty attitude and didn't want to do any additional work getting the script faxed over and deemed it unnecessary so I arrived without the Clonazepam and only slept for about 1 1/2 hours the entire night, not even long enough for them to get the mask on me and evaluate me properly. I now have to return for the sleep study with my Clonazepam in order to even hope to fall asleep long enough the 2nd time. The pulmonary center only started requesting that my psych fax over the script after the 1st test failed and I wasted my time driving and sleeping there that night. They didn't even apologize for not listening to me originally. Just an example of my sleep issues.

I have sleep apnea too and my sleep doc actually prefers me not to use any meds for sleep as they can relax the muscles in your mouth and throat and make your apnea worse. Just FYI. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, zisforzyprexa said:

I have sleep apnea too and my sleep doc actually prefers me not to use any meds for sleep as they can relax the muscles in your mouth and throat and make your apnea worse. Just FYI. 

Thanks but I don't think I'd be capable of falling asleep on most nights without taking Clonazepam as a sleep PRN.