CrazyBoards.org

to battle hair loss (lithium & lamictal), i began taking biotin, E w/selenium, b-complex (w/inositol 26 mg), and omega3 oil. This is day 2. And about an hour after taking it, i'm seized by a giggling craziness. i can't stay still. i want to scream, laughing.

Now I hope this isn't a picture of things to come on my new supplements--cuz I wanna battle the hair loss! Are the vitamins to blame? or is it just me?

thanks,

those vitamins shouldn't trigger something but lots of things shouldn't do things that they do so... sometimes people get a rush from B vitamins.  which complex in specific are you taking?

that said, as a super general rule, it's always best to play the safe side with supplements and only introduce one new supplement at a time.

And with most, it's best to take them with or after a meal. Actually, at the moment I can't think what the exceptions to this might be. Maybe there aren't any?

Penny: Have any ideas on this? Should all supplements be taken with a meal, or are there any exceptions? Thanks.

Just thought I'd add this; taking with a meal might buffer some of the effect you felt, seven.

revlow: i take with my evening meal.

penny: i take coenzyme b-complex caps (b-1 50mg, b-2 50 mg, niacin 100mg, b-6 80mg, folic acid 800mcg, b-12 500mcg, d-biotin 200mcg, pantothenic acid 50 mg, inositol 130 mg, lecithin 100 mg, paba 50 mg, pak 50mg, phosphatidyl chloine 40 mg, inositol 26 mg, alpha-lipoic acid 100 mcg)--sorry, hope that wasn't too much info.

a rush from b vitamins. now that's interesting!

revlow: i take with my evening meal.

penny: i take coenzyme b-complex caps (b-1 50mg, b-2 50 mg, niacin 100mg, b-6 80mg, folic acid 800mcg, b-12 500mcg, d-biotin 200mcg, pantothenic acid 50 mg, inositol 130 mg, lecithin 100 mg, paba 50 mg, pak 50mg, phosphatidyl chloine 40 mg, inositol 26 mg, alpha-lipoic acid 100 mcg)--sorry, hope that wasn't too much info.

ok, there are some things in there (lecithin, alpha-lipolic-acid) that aren't b vitamins, but they really shouldn't do a mania thing.  inositol has been studied in terms of its effects on psychiatric disorders, but the studies used a very large amount of it.  there seems to be/have been a hypothesis that lithium worked by depleting inositol, but there are also studies that refute this and in either case that is a small amount of it in those caps.

lechithin has been studied for brain health/alzheimers, but again nothing i could find about mania.

the b's themselves are brain gold and heavily studied, though moreso in terms of depression and dementia.  (here are two go b vitamin lay articles from a magazine that i personally think is insipid but just because i hate the magazine doesn't mean the articles are useless)

life really sucks when you are deficient in b12 and or folic acid.  (they need eachother to work.)  and i even found one study about b12 deficiency possibly causing mania in one patient. though most of the studies are on depression, etc.

the only thing i could find at all was one website that said "Manic-depressives, however, need to be careful about taking high dosages (probably in excess of 3000 mcg per day), since anecdotal evidence has suggested that this maylead to manic behavior. Large dosages of folic acid also reduces the efficiency of anticonvulsants such as Depakote for epileptics and (probably) manic-depressives.  though most psychiatrists reccomend that their patients take folic acid.... and you're not taking close to that amount.  but that was the only negative thing i could find.

so, imho, it shouldn't be the b vitamins.  and omegas usually take a few weeks to change anything, and i've heard of some people thinking they worsen mood, but never instantly like that as they have to build up in your brain to change the way you feel and that takes weeks.

if you end up thinking it may be the b's, they do make time released b complex caps.

i'll look into biotin.  really can't see E causing an issue....

a rush from b vitamins. now that's interesting!

okay... perhaps "rush" was too extreme of a word.  if you've been deficient in something for a long time, getting it back feels pretty fucking fantastic. 

i was severley b12 deficient for about a year despite supplementation.  (b12 can be hard to absorb, but usually sublingual b12 takes care of that unless you have pernicious anemia, or, apparently, are me)  and then i got my loveley b12/folic acid shots that i give myself once a week.  about a day after my first shot i got this nice feeling like everything was okay.  not like delusional okay, just a calming and also a lifting of fatigue.  after a year of severe fatigue and depression/anxiety that was pretty fucking exciting.  in some people this feeling of having your brain and body working right is so fucking exciting that they get a bit "whoo yeah" esp if they've been ill for a long time and they feel "young again" etc.  but so rush wrong word... energized?  yeah, energized is a bettter word.

maybe try leaving out one of each supplement each night and see if you can pin down which one it is?

sorry that was so long.

i'll check out biotin laters.

take care,

penny

Penny: Have any ideas on this? Should all supplements be taken with a meal, or are there any exceptions? Thanks.

amino acids should be taken on an empty stomach with a bit of something sweet like juice about 20 minutes before meals. 

when i was trying to get my b12 up without using injections, i took my sublingual b12 and my folic acid on an empty tummy.  (per doctor's orders)  but i don't think you have to take them this way.

other than that, yay food.  omegas even like fatty meals (yeah i use that as an excuse, yup.)

penny

Archived