CrazyBoards.org

Article on SI

suzy

that's rather depressing that such a large % of the population thinks it's "manipulative"

i wonder why people think that.

i can't even begin to verbalize how humiliating it is to be told that your actions are "for attention"

even if it had been for attention, why is that wrong...

though that wasn't why i cut and not why (i don't think) most people do.

so, i guess it's a good idea

i just hope it isn't like er, i dunno, sometimes awareness raising ends up raising awareness about how to be more efficiently self destructive.

that's rather depressing that such a large % of the population thinks it's "manipulative"

i wonder why people think that.

i can't even begin to verbalize how humiliating it is to be told that your actions are "for attention"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this just makes me angry.... and im sure no one wants to hear me go off on a tangent.... arg!

Y'know, I'd like to see a simialr study done in the States... there probably are some, and I should go searching.  Maybe later (unless someone beats me to the punch, hint hint).

At any rate, one thing I saw--"particularly among the 51% of the Scots adults who said they found it difficult to understand why someone would deliberately hurt themselves."--is nice in a way because it shows that there's a larger portion than I would have thought that might actually, y'know--get it.

Maybe we're even on path to a new age of Enlighten...nah.

CNS, I am quite sure we are not on the path to enlightenment!

I thought about putting a  ;) sign on the article, because it really bothered me that anyone would think that SI was manipulative!  Frankly, I was shocked at the percentage who admitted thinking such a moronic and hurtful thing.

Nevertheless, I think it is very progressive that these educational ads will air.  MI is just that - an illness.  Can you imagine thinking that someone with diabetes was doing so because they wanted to manipulate others?  AARRGGH!

suzy

Heya,

Listen, 33% and 51% is pretty good (still sucks though), and ten years ago would have been *much* higher.

It's a start, anyway.

Most people *of course!!!* are SI'ing b/c of pain.  *So much* pain.  I spend hours explaining this to emerg docs.

But, and I *know* this is controversial, don't discount manipulation.

I have some diabetics who are definitely (by their own admission) messing up their sugars to manipulate family members.

What's the expression?

It only takes a few bad apples to ruin the bushel.

This is a long uphill road, and you/we can climb it, okay?

--ncc--

When I was a young 'un, my parents would pay me a dollar for every blood sugar I had in the proper range.

Oh yeah, I manipulated that shit all right!

Of course, when it comes to SI, I barely even told my pdoc, didn't tell my tdoc, and well... couldn't exactly hide it from the fiancee.

But in a way, it was manipulative, I think, even though there was no one around when I did it... my worst episodes were when my fiancee was almost 3000 miles away for three months.  (gee, ya think there's a connection there?)

Anyway, my take is, SI primarily comes from pain, anger, etc., but can also be used for manipulation.  The thing is, and this is the sense I get from those who answered that it IS manipulative, it ain't always so (OK, better phrased "rarely so") and that when it is in any way manipulative, that's only a fraction of the problem.  After all, like nearly anything else, SI *can* be used to manipulate.  That, however, mhas nothing (IMO) to do with the problem of SI itself.

Damn, I hope that made sense...

Archived