CrazyBoards.org

Getting off the pill treadmill

Is anyone else titrating down with a vision to not being on meds anymore?

I am not making any comments about whether people *should* be on meds because meds have a job to do and they do it and people do need them. But I am trying to discover if I am chemically imbalanced or just in emotional pain. For every psych or doc that has prescribed for me, another one has claimed that my problem is emotional. Even my diagnosis, BPD had no 'med' of it's own.

How have people titrated, and have they had success? Any tips? Obviously I am seeking my docs support and titrating slowly.

I decided to get off all the crap except the synthroid(have to take that). Been doing a gradual withdrawal from Lamictal and beleive you me I feel 100% better then on 200mg. Down to about 33mg or so. I have EMOTIONS again. I have a sex drive again!  ;)   :)

I think this is different for everyone. I wouldn't be alive today without my meds. But some people are better off without them.

Just be really careful and take care of yourself in case this wasn't the right descision.

sort of?

i got off of anti depressants for a while (just stayed on adderall for ADD and a benzo prn for panic pukey gah.)

then there was a death in the fam so i went back on wellbutrin as a "saftey net" and because of the stress of school the prn usage has now become more regular with holidays...

i think it's possible if you're borderline to come off meds.  i also think meds help make treatment easier, if that makes sense?  though i don't know what kind of treatment you're in.  i did one-on-one DBT 4 days a week and it was intense and i really needed meds sometimes.  (though i wasn't "allowed" to take klonopin before sessions because tdoc wanted to work with me in my uh, natural state to try and help me gain emotion regulation.  never really got control over pure panic, but that's separate from borderline, i think.)

lots of borderline comes with comorbid axis 1 stuff.  if i was just borderline with no comorbid MDD, etc. yes, i would maybe have no meds as my end goal. 

take care

penny

Is anyone else titrating down with a vision to not being on meds anymore?

I am not making any comments about whether people *should* be on meds because meds have a job to do and they do it and people do need them. But I am trying to discover if I am chemically imbalanced or just in emotional pain. For every psych or doc that has prescribed for me, another one has claimed that my problem is emotional. Even my diagnosis, BPD had no 'med' of it's own.

How have people titrated, and have they had success? Any tips? Obviously I am seeking my docs support and titrating slowly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi, I titrated off of lorazepam (ativan) because it is addictive and messes with me when I am taking it (i.e. mood swings, especially depressive).  I decided to stay with 50mg of zoloft and lunesta if i need help sleeping, as well as trileptal for seizures from the neurologist.  i think some of these meds are extremely useful - for example its much better to actually get sleep than to be up to 5am or later every night and feel like crap during the day. 

so if you've got symptoms, medication is a good way to manage them, because these symptoms do a lot more harm than the meds.  definately if you are prone to suicidal thoughts, i strongly believe this symptom should be treated at the very least.

i think if you are having problems like side effects there is reason to come off the medications but if you are fine then its a question of what motivation you have of getting off the medication.  if they're really helping you, then its more just the idea of getting off meds that is attractive and it might make things difficult if you get off the meds over this idea when these meds are perhaps even necessary. 

but there is a lot of stigma about medication and the majority of people don't take meds, and actually less people take meds than the estimated occurance of mental illness in the general population.  so its usually more likely that someone needs meds than someone is unnecessarily taking meds, and getting the right ones is a lot of work.  also you can be "overmedicated" too so getting off meds doesn't necessarily have to be your goal.

UPDATE

Been off LAMICTAL and ZOLOF for a week now and I am feeling so much better.

Now naturally I certainly don't recommend all to drop the meds, but for me it was the right decision.  To me, I felt like I had this 'constraint' around. Med were preventing me from being me. Maybe I am very borderline, but I do feel better.

I just read/heard about the study about SSRI causing greater incidents of heart problems. So that just reinforces my decisions. I know that I still will get mania/depressed, but I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO DEAL WITH THAT.

I will say that I had withdrawal issues- headaches and general body aches for almost 3 weeks, but that has passed.

• 2 months later...

of course everyone's different, but.

I decided to start hating my meds a few weeks ago. at first it went great, I felt better than I have in a long time, and life was good.

then it started fucking up again. right now I'm trying to grab hold of all the things that are going crazy again (SI, OD, panic attacks, depressive spells) and it's difficult. for me, going off meds was a stupid idea. my therapist says that maybe next time I can go longer without them, but really, what's the point of being off them if I'm going to have to go back on them again anyway?

it didn't work for me. not saying it won't work for you, but it didn't for me. be very careful going off of anything.

good luck~

Archived