CrazyBoards.org

Adderall XR and Lexapro = Serotonin Syndrome?

i just read something about someone being warned by their pharmacist that the use of adderall and lexapro can cause serotonin syndrome.  look at my sig, that's why i am interested.  i just started adderall and am at a very low dose.  but i am afraid of some sort of fatal combination.

i have no appetite, which isn't so bad given i could use to lose some weight, which i've been doing slowly but surely over the last year and a half-- but really the thought of food makes me feel icky.  like in the back of my stomach there is hunger but my throat is saying 'i will puke if you ever TRY'.  grr ;)  

thanks for any insight!

I don't know if what you're experiencing is "nausea" or just loss of appetite, but if it's the latter... it doesn't go away. At least it hasn't for me - and I've been on Adderall for 7 years. It gets to be a problem for me from time to time - I've actually gone on other meds simply to stimulate my appetite.

As for serotonin syndrome... I don't know why there would be a concern with that... to the best of my knowledge (which included a quick, cursory exam of the PI sheet), Adderall doesn't mess with serotonin at all.

I don't know if what you're experiencing is "nausea" or just loss of appetite, but if it's the latter... it doesn't go away. At least it hasn't for me - and I've been on Adderall for 7 years. It gets to be a problem for me from time to time - I've actually gone on other meds simply to stimulate my appetite.

As for serotonin syndrome... I don't know why there would be a concern with that... to the best of my knowledge (which included a quick, cursory exam of the PI sheet), Adderall doesn't mess with serotonin at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started a thread not to long ago regarding this.  I am on oxycontin, percocet, prozac, and I was worried as well.  I'm on 30mg of prozac, 120mg of oxycontin, and 40mg of percocet a day.

Anyone on the same meds or in the same realm?

Just go ahead and check a drug interaction checker.  It will tell you there is no interaction.  It makes no sense that you're taking adderral and klonopin though..... You should be taking klonopin and strattera.

You may get a huge addiction issue.

Just go ahead and check a drug interaction checker.  It will tell you there is no interaction.  It makes no sense that you're taking adderral and klonopin though..... You should be taking klonopin and strattera.

.5 mg prn of klonopin with adderall is easily managed. 

i take xanax xr with adderall and i have yet to have a problem.

i'm sure if her doctor is willing to rx these things, he's discussed the risks and assessed the likleyhood of addiction. 

people look at my cocktail sometimes and say 'omg that's not medication that's drugs' which is absurd.  just because someone could abuse medications doesn't mean they do or are doomed to do so.

penny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried Klonopin with Strattera.  Strattera sucks ass when it comes to ADHD, at least when it comes to mine.  I quit my job and 75% of my college classes during the time I was on Strattera, and I turned into a reactive mess.  I simply refuse to take a med that doesn't work, even if it has less of a stigma.  So what.  As far as Klonopin, I was prescribed to take it as needed, and in five months now I'm only halfway through my second bottle.  My pdoc doesn't want it taken when the Adderall is in effect and I avoid that as much as possible, but I am not someone who will get addicted to these things.  If they help my symptoms, as they are meant to do, I will continue to take them.  And that's about it. 

Guest Llamanator

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's fine to offer suggestions. It's not fine to say that someone should not be taking one thing and should be taking another (especially when what they're taking might actually make some sense...gee). Because you really have no idea about what they should and should not be taking. That's called playing doctor. Don't do it. Let the doctor play doctor.

Potentially addictive psych drugs are fine when managed properly. No need to go OMFGADDICTIONDOOMONYOU.

'K? We no doctas.

i did read that dextroamphetamine has low serotonin producing properties.....though there is only around 1/4 dextroamphetamine within Adderall......the other 3/4s of amphetamine within Adderall i'm not so sure about.... i don't know exactly what serotonin syndrome is about, but it seems that the Lexapro would be inhibiting reuptake of the serotonin and the dextroamphetamine would be producing more serotonin and not necessarily inhibiting the reuptake (i'm not so sure about the latter, as i didn't read about dextroamphetamine's specific effects on serotonin)

• 3 years later...
Guest Junell

I have been taking adderall 20 mg twice a day with 20 mg of lexapro for about 10 months and just within the past 4 months started to take alot of Zanax and Lortab like 4 mg zanax a day and 50 mg of Lortab a day and after I realized I was taking way too much I stopped the zanax and lortab and began horrible withdrawals I mean sweats chills fever wanting to vomit diarreah. at first I though i might be pregnant when that was ruled out i knew I was in trouble and withdrawing bad. the thing is I stopped taking it cold turkey i'm not one to try and whean myself off of something I figure just stop completely so I did for about a week and a half then I filled a prescription for lortab and 10 mg and finished 24 pills in 10 days that is at least better than what I was doing I was taking around 5 to 8 a day..now my adderall and lexapro don't even seem to be helping me at all i'm constantly wanting to eat and thinkin about food when before i would never eat just a bite here and there but it just gave me the thought of vomiting so i would just drink water and protein bars. does anyone have this similar problem what do you suggest i am going to the dr. today to get on adderall xr 30 mg and i was tempted to tell him to give me zanax but i think i'm going to tell him what's going on and ask his opinion maybe there's something else that can make me happy and not so stressed and anxious.. but i do have alot of stress in my life right now.. any comments feedback are much appreciated....

Hey Junell,

It sounds like you have a lot of really stressful stuff going on right now, and with a complicated situation like that, the only person who can really advise you is your doctor.

The best advice I can give you is to tell your doctor everything that's been going on - and I mean absolutely everything. Maybe even print out a copy of your post and give it to him.

I'm sorry things are so difficult right now - I hope you can discuss this openly with your doc and get some good help. Let us know how it goes.

I have been taking adderall 20 mg twice a day with 20 mg of lexapro for about 10 months and just within the past 4 months started to take alot of Zanax and Lortab like 4 mg zanax a day and 50 mg of Lortab a day and after I realized I was taking way too much

I stopped the zanax and lortab and began horrible withdrawals I mean sweats chills fever wanting to vomit diarreah. at first I though i might be pregnant when that was ruled out i knew I was in trouble and withdrawing bad. the thing is I stopped taking it cold turkey i'm not one to try and whean myself off of something

I figure just stop completely so I did for about a week and a half then I filled a prescription for lortab and 10 mg and finished 24 pills in 10 days that is at least better than what I was doing I was taking around 5 to 8 a day..now my adderall and lexapro don't even seem to be helping me at all i'm constantly wanting to eat and thinkin about food when before i would never eat just a bite here and there but it just gave me the thought of vomiting so i would just drink water and protein bars.

does anyone have this similar problem what do you suggest i am going to the dr. today to get on adderall xr 30 mg and i was tempted to tell him to give me zanax but i think i'm going to tell him what's going on and ask his opinion maybe there's something else that can make me happy and not so stressed and anxious.. but i do have alot of stress in my life right now.. any comments feedback are much appreciated....

Hi, welcome!

It's always important to be open and honest with your pdoc. Particularly when it comes to meds usage and effects.

You have been close to maxed out on all your meds. For Xanax, the max recommended is 4mg/day.

For Adderall, max is 40mg you were at 40mg and are going to 30mgXR. You may find the XR form to provide a smoother action without the short term yoyo-ing from the regular release form

Lortab: max is 60mg per day and you were at 50mg. The symptoms you describe upon going cold turkey, nausea, sweats, etc are typical for any in the opiode class. That makes is quite clear how hard it can be to kick pain killers. Tapering is probably a much better approach.

I you aren't able to maintain an adequate sleep pattern, then go see your pdoc again. Be sure that you have covered everything you mentioned here. Painkilers, sleep aids, and anxiolytics are really band aids. Long term you pdoc may consider increasing your SSRI dosage, adding something else or switching meds. SSRI's and the like have long term action on the brain and help it to repair itself.

Hope you feel better. a.m.

• 4 months later...
Guest BobB427

I take Ritalin, Zanax and Phentermine for ADHD and severve Depression. I have tried it ALL over the last 6 years. This combo works for me so I can FOCUS, STAY Positive, and stay working. Other combos 20 or 30 others have not. I also go to the sun tan booth when I get real low.

Do some research on the net.

NOT ALL BODIES REACT THE SAME WAY TO THE SAME DRUGS! RESEARCH THAT SAYS THAT MICE ARE CALMER IF YOU GIVE THEM ---X----(WHATEVER) FOR ADHD IS A FARCE. NOONE CAN TALK TO THE MOUSE AND ASK ARE YOU CALMER BECASUE YOUR TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO KILL YOURSELF?

Please note AFTER 25 YEARS OF SUFFERING AND PROBLEMS WITH DENTIST A GOOD DENTIST FINALLY FIGURED MY SYSTEM TAKES 45-60 MINUTES FOR NOVACAINE TO TAKE EFFECT! MOST PEOPLE WILL RESPOND TO NOVACAINE IN 3-10 MINUTES 98% BUT 3% MAY TAKE AN HOUR.

TO MANY doctors(?)figure because one drug work for 90% of his other patients it should also work for you this is BS!

When my kids were little (I have 5)they had to go to the ER for stiches. I had to argue with the ER DRS that they may not respond to Novacaine. (3 of 5 take 30-45 for novacaine to imapct them 2 take 5 minutes.)I actually had to hold my son down while this idiot ER MD called my 5 yaer old a cry baby. Finally I told him I would remove the child and asked for a different DR. After a 30 minute wait the Novacaine kicked in and the stiching resumed PAINLESSLY!

Some Drugs do not allow serotonin to release ALL of the drug it normally would release so the serotonin level remains high in the total brain but THEN it is not being fully used and so it is not being remade or replaced.

good luck to all BobB427

Im taking 20 mg's of lex per day..and currently on 36mg of concerta which isnt helping much...so i take another 18 mg at noon. I am thinking of asking my doc to try the vyvanse or adderall. If there is a drug interaction however someone tell a sister. LOL

thanks.

Some Drugs do not allow serotonin to release ALL of the drug it normally would release so the serotonin level remains high in the total brain but THEN it is not being fully used and so it is not being remade or replaced.

I'm sure there's supposed to be a point buried in that.

If there is a drug interaction however someone tell a sister. LOL

Note the topic title.

Then read from the first post, not the last ones.

I'm sure there's supposed to be a point buried in that.

If there is a drug interaction however someone tell a sister. LOL

Note the topic title.

Then read from the first post, not the last ones.

ANYWAY----- I appreciate the helpful answers...I cant decide if however the sarcasm was directed at me..whatever, times a wasting being pissy and you arent gonna waste mine. ;)

• 1 year later...

My doctor put me on lexapro when I was taking adderall. Bad mistake. Made me hit the s. Syndrome and go crazy a month later. Sometimes I still think I'm going to die soon. It caused a very traumatic time in my life. I assure you I have brain damage. Please never mix a cns drug with an anti-depressant.

I take a total of 30mg of Adderall a day and a relatively high dose of Effexor (another SS[N]RI antidepressant) and have never had serotonin syndrome. I did however have S.S. once when my dumb general practitioner gave me Imitrex (a serotonin agonist migraine pill) even though I was on 300mg of Effexor and I even mentioned it to her. Trust me, if you GET S.S., it is something you will notice right away. It took two days with taking my Zyprexa (a serotonin agonist on many receptors) to get back to normal.

Archived