CrazyBoards.org

I realize there's no clear cut-and-dried this-is-this and this-is-not, but I've been denying so far that I hear voices. Didn't think I did. I guess what I ws thinking of as "voices" would be a singular conversation, as someone whispering in my ear. As I was getting ready for bed last night, I had the noise in my head of multiple conversations, like as being in a crowded room where there's not a singular intelligible voice, but a multitude of gibberish. I ws awake, not even laying down. Not a half sleep. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen, and this caught me off guard. How do I explain this to my pdoc? Gee, I said I didn't hear voices, but apparently I lied? Didn't know? I feel like an idiot, either way. Confused too, as I'm feeling better every day, the meds all seem to be coordinating, my energy level is up. I thought I was getting better. Can a single symptom break through?

Any thoughts on this?

It's ok.  I hear them, too.  Probably not the same as yours ;)   but its the most potent when I'm trying to sleep or concentrate on something.  It's constant chatter.  I told my pdoc and he said I had to learn to "turn them down" like they were a radio.  I just stared at him.  And sometimes it comes and goes.

kalessin: Can't be caffeine, as I only drink a half cup coffee in the am, and that's it. I'm pretty careful about my diet. I need as much help as I can get!

Karuna: I'll pm ya if it might be necessary. I'll try your methods and see if it helps. It's not as if it's so bad I can't cope or handle everyday life. It's just a bit scary, in a way. Perhaps I just need to get used to it. It comes and goes, I've never tracked when, maybe there is a pattern.

Making the noise/gibberish/voices stop or at least quiet down...this goes for music or other random sounds too...

Oddly enough, listening to white noise helps me. I especially like sitting in the shower and just letting the water fall on my head.

I know what voices y'all are talking about - but I only get them when there is intense, loud, and consistent background/white noise (I've more than once heard the heating system, washer, dryer, roommate's shower, or my inhumanly overclocked computer's fan cooling system sound like voices behind my back, engaging in conversation).

Physically blocking out the noises (earbuds/phones, WITH music) is obviously the best choice when this kind of stuff annoys me.

Another thing I tend to hear (regardless of background noise) are a part of hypnopompic hallucination (hearing things immediately prior to and upon awakening; common in us narcoleptics), is a sort of spoken 'word salad', with only one voice, directly speaking to me.  ('Word salad', of course, being random real words, with no grammatical context or order, being spoken in appropriate tone such that they form something that tonally sounds like a sentence... it's weird - some schizophrenics are known to speak in it.)  Sometimes the 'word salad' comes out as my own mental speech at the end of a dream, while I'm reading some text therein.  (And yes, it's complete BS that you can't read in a dream... but I've got no guarantees that what you read will make any sense!) 

The hypnopompia was all fine and good until the 'word salad' was replaced a couple months ago by virtually exact replicas of what a certain Canadian with sand in a certain bodily orifice said around the time I lost my job.  That's how you get diagnosed with PTSD. =P  At least that (and the accompanying alcoholism) are since gone.  Damn, I need a drink again. =P

P.S.  - Rabbit37 - for some reason I thought you'd like this: http://www.platinumgrit.com/poke.html

When I have hallucinations, it's usually cause I'm manic but lately it's been happening when I'm "normal" too. Freaky.

I've never heard voices, but I've heard laughter, always children's laughter. Quite a nice sound, until a second later you realize it's from your own head cause you're home alone and the nearest kids are on the other side of the street with lots of traffic inbetween.

And I hear music. So it's not that bad, but it still freaks me out. I'm usually alone when it happens. I try to take a Xanax or a Haldol ASAFP (as soon as fucking possible).

I recently met a guy in psych ward, that I'm now friends with. He hears voices constantly. Contsantly. Usually picking on him, telling him what a bad person he is. No wonder he's depressed!

However, I think the best solution is a powerful antipsychotic along with some coping strategies when they just can't be stopped. You all suggested very good ones. I haven't tried them unfortunately.

Anyways, I feel for you Rabbit. I hope things get better soon! Feel free to PM me anytime. Really.

I know what voices y'all are talking about - but I only get them when there is intense, loud, and consistent background/white noise

P.S.  - Rabbit37 - for some reason I thought you'd like this: http://www.platinumgrit.com/poke.html

I hear it when it's very quiet. No background noises.

Gee, thanks for the... thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But it's like what's underneath your avatar!  Poke bunny, then it bites you! rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Helena: I'm already on an AP, fairly low dose I think (1mg Risperdal), maybe it should be raised. I don't know, I just feel so confused at times! Thanks for the PM invite, I sincerely appreciate it. I probably will.

Ooh, voices. I hear voices. I keep meaning to bring this subject up with my pdoc actually, what does and doesn't consitute a voice. Recently we've been discussing "things I've been hearing that aren't there". This generally covers music and voices both talking to me and each other that begin in my head and sometimes end up outside my head. Like at first they're just thoughts but they're in a different tone of voice and completely seperate to my thoughts- I can't control them. Then the volume turns up and sometimes they end up outside my head, or it gets confusing as to whether they're in or out of my head. Same with music.

She upped my second anti psychotic anyway, so I guess it comes into the psychosis category.

I also get whispering, random blasts of noise that sound like people in a resturant and my name being called.

It's weird.

Yep. Voices. Mee too.  I only just revealed this to my pdoc and therapist this week even though I've had this for years.  For me it's unintellegible conversations in the background.  It happens when it's really quiet in my house.  Also alot of times I hear music very low in the backround. If it were me, I'd ask for an increase in risperdal or maybe try a different one.....

good luck!

Archived