CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mmaryland

halcion - something finally works then my dr want to stop prescribing it

met with psychiatrist last friday and was asked when/how i take/manage/remember to take my meds and when I mentioned I took my Vraylar in the morning she expressed concern and asked why I took it in the AM. I simply told her it doesn't sedate me at all and I struggle to keep up with multiple dosages per day and remembering to take meds in the evening. 

She suggested that even though I don't feel sedated or tired from taking Vraylar in the morning, in addition to 40mg Valium and 0.5mg Xanax, switching to dosing at bedtime (the Vraylar plus Valium) may decrease my need to use a sleeping aid. I can never win with antipsychotics and sleep. An atypical antipsychotic either knocks me out (seroquel, zyprexa) and leaves me super sedated next day and cognitively impaired, as well as "stable-blah or fails to produce activation or sedation (rexulti, vraylar, latuda). This puts me in a predicament because I have severe insomnia that must be treated or else I spiral out of control and become dysfunctional very rapidly. 

Since Vraylar doesn't help me fall asleep, I alternate between using small dose, 50mg, of seroquel and halcion 0.25mg. Here's the problem:

I don't feel at ease or comfortable taking to antipsychotics at the same time (Vraylar + Seroquel), but it works. Even my psychiatrist expresses a lot of concern about me taking two antipsychotics. We have explored other options, trust me almost of of them (sonata, ambien, edluar, mirtazapine, saphris, lunesta, temazepam, valium, xanax, clonidine, intermezzo, you name it, i've tried it except for belsomra), and after failing therapeutic response to several rounds of hypnotic sleeping medications I begged for halcion because I had been dying to do well on a sleep medication with a short half-life, quick onset of action, and little next day sedation. My doctor wrote my a script of 20 tablets for 45-60 days, but recently discussed "doing something about the triazolam (halcion)," meaning getting rid of it in the near future but it's the only thing that works for me! I w

I feel so anxious because I am 3 weeks from coming off xanax completely, or decreasing to 0.25mg for 2 weeks after that then being off. Then the plan is to remove the remaining benzos (diazepam, triazolam) because I had a history of using xanax in the wrong ways in my past, so my doctor wants me off any benzodiazepine. I am really concerned that she will eventually stop prescribing halcion to me and I fear this because this is the only med I can rely on to get a good nights' rest if I have an important even the next day where I can't afford drowsiness. I use halcion to put me to sleep when I have something important to do the next day or if it's too late at night to take something longer acting like seroquel. My health insurance keeps pushing her to change medications since halcion is indicated for short term relief, but so is ambien, lunesta, and sonata. What's the difference I told her, halcion is the only thing that legititmately helps me fall asleep fastdoesn't leave a hangoverfeels more natural than other sleep aids like ambien (where I feel disoriented, wobbly, etc.).

I was absolutely grateful when my physician wrote me for halcion and was even happier after trying it out. i am not looking to take it every night by any means, I just want to have a continuous prescription so I can have something to rely on when I cannot afford having a poor night's' sleep or when i find myself spending hours trying but failing to fall asleep. Anyone else have experiences with being prescribed halcion on a continuous basis? I frankly don't see the problem in my prescription of 20 halcion every 45-60 days, it's not like I am taking it nightly (then I would see and understand where my doctor and health insurance company are coming from) but for strictly PRN use. I think taking halcion out of my medication regimen will only lead to the journey of finding another sleep medication that works, which we all know take weeks to months. Why change something if it's working and not being misused or abused? Any opinions, stories, or experiences with you guys? Feel free to talk about other "short-term" sleep medications and your experience.

The only thing I can say about halcion is that it scared the crap out of me. I was prescribed it in the late 1980’s, for of course, sleep problems. I had issues with sleepwalking and memory blitzes. I woke once standing in front of an open refrigerator... what was frightening was when I woke standing over the crib of my months old daughter. I’m sure I wouldn’t have hurt her, but shit... that was too weird. 

It seems like every sleep med has its problems. 

2 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

The only thing I can say about halcion is that it scared the crap out of me. I was prescribed it in the late 1980’s, for of course, sleep problems. I had issues with sleepwalking and memory blitzes. I woke once standing in front of an open refrigerator... what was frightening was when I woke standing over the crib of my months old daughter. I’m sure I wouldn’t have hurt her, but shit... that was too weird. 

It seems like every sleep med has its problems. 

Wasn’t the FDA approved dosage of Halcion back in the 1980s higher than they are now? The max tablet produced today is 0.25mg, back then I believe it was made in 0.5mg idk about 1mg halcion. Buy yes I have read some crazy crazy stories about people’s experiences on halcion. Ambien did this to me to a much greater extent, I’m talking about waking up with a girl in my bed and not remembering we got breakfast at 4am the night before,

Halcion I respect. I respect its potency and it efficacy, which is why I have the bottle literally sitting on my windowsill because I take it after I brush my teeth and wash my face. As I pull the covers over me, I swallow a halcion and within 10 minutes I am out. For me, I have had no problems with halcion and it’s been roughly 14-16 weeks since being prescribed it. The z-drugs cannot be taken with food, a major downside for me, and make me feel really loopy, like I am standing on a boat, not promote drowsiness or sleep. 

I feel like what works for me (halcion) is soon going to be removed from my medications, after spending 5 freaking years changing doses of sleep meds and constantly trying another one, and another one. I finally just straight up brought up halcion to my doctor and said look we have tried hypnotics ranging from antipsychotics, antidepressants, melatonin receptor modulators or whatever (Rozerem), antihistamines, I think we need to give halcion a fair try. Why are doctors and insurance companies so terrified for their patients are prescribed this medication, especially when used responsibly and only on an average or 2-3 times per week....?

pdoc might have a point that that is really a lot of benzo firepower. But I am a halcion lover too...severe insomnia. One other idea tho- although most pdocs are weary- low dose Thorazine. Only thing that helps me besides halcion/clozaril combo.

16 hours ago, Iceberg said:

pdoc might have a point that that is really a lot of benzo firepower. But I am a halcion lover too...severe insomnia. One other idea tho- although most pdocs are weary- low dose Thorazine. Only thing that helps me besides halcion/clozaril combo.

see and that's what i want to avoid (taking an antipsychotic for sleep) because i'm already on another one for different reasons and it works! i could stop my Vraylar and continue using Seroquel when i am out of halcion but i'm afraid I will fall apart and become unstable. i could always give belsomra a try but it's new idk how i feel about it.

i would rather get off high dose valium, get it down to 10mg a day and keep that halcion. 

I could only get any effect from Belsomra when my doc paired it with Ambien. It worked, but my doc changed his mind a month later and stopped giving me Belsomra samples.

Update:

New doc and new halcion script, this time for #60 a month so 0.5mg at night. Ahhhhhhhhhh

4 hours ago, mmaryland said:

Update:

New doc and new halcion script, this time for #60 a month so 0.5mg at night. Ahhhhhhhhhh

Just indefinitely or is there a long term goal/plan? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, notloki said:

Lunesta is the only hypnotic approved for long term use.

Yes, definitely correct.

5 hours ago, mmaryland said:

Update:

Halcion is only designed for very short-term use:  https://www.insomnia.net/medications/triazolam/

Edited by CrazyRedhead

IIRC that's one people have had trouble even getting as not a lot of it is made and the profit margin is low.  

• Like 1

Halcyon effects me the same as Ambien is that I trip out but can't sleep.

9 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Yes, definitely correct.

Halcion is only designed for very short-term use:  https://www.insomnia.net/medications/triazolam/

Yea but I only take it as needed 

10 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Just indefinitely or is there a long term goal/plan? 

Well the doc wrote for 3 refills so I guess he will be liberal and give me refills when I am out

1 hour ago, mmaryland said:

Yea but I only take it as needed 

Well the doc wrote for 3 refills so I guess he will be liberal and give me refills when I am out

While it is unorthodox and not optimal to continue benzos like that, If i remember you’ve tried like everything else.... I guess at a certain point you gotta just go with what works... or at least maybe That’s the thought 

Just now, Iceberg said:

While it is unorthodox and not optimal to continue benzos like that, If i remember you’ve tried like everything else.... I guess at a certain point you gotta just go with what works... or at least maybe That’s the thought 

I really dislike that I take different benzos for so many conditions. I guess the only neurotransmitter out of balance in mt brain is GABA, therefore thats why benzos usually end up being a part of my treatment plan

I really have tried everything and am done having some crazy cocktail of medicines that my shrink doesn't know what the hell is going on. Easy does it. I just started Geodon 40mg tonight and I am exited because there are reviews that are very positive and I am optimistic. I'm praying this Geodon helps with insomnia and falling asleep. I don't want to have to take an additional sleep aid

11 minutes ago, mmaryland said:

I really dislike that I take different benzos for so many conditions. I guess the only neurotransmitter out of balance in mt brain is GABA, therefore thats why benzos usually end up being a part of my treatment plan

I really have tried everything and am done having some crazy cocktail of medicines that my shrink doesn't know what the hell is going on. Easy does it. I just started Geodon 40mg tonight and I am exited because there are reviews that are very positive and I am optimistic. I'm praying this Geodon helps with insomnia and falling asleep. I don't want to have to take an additional sleep aid

Good luck!! Some find it activating but it knocked me out