CrazyBoards.org

When you are splitting, do you ever engage in fantasies about the person that you are hating at the time? In one particular case, my fantasies included ways this person could die. Mind you, this is a person who is very close to me, err hmm partner. None of the ways he died in the scenarios were by my hand or entailed murder committed by me, but they were all things like being hit by car or knocked over by falling tree, having a stroke, or any other crazy thing you could think of. It was like a malicious screwed up form of escapism, but it makes me feel very guilty. And I have wondered for a while where it came from. It's not something that you would ask someone about, you know? I didn't even know where to begin with that level of craziness.

When I get angry or enraged about something, I feel he has done to me, it is quite easy for me to move into this territory. For example I can put myself to sleep at night fantasizing this way. I haven't done this lately but it is definitely something I have done in the recent past.

I don't yet have a BPD diagnosis but I am very sure that I have it and that I was misdiagnosed as bipolar 2 or that I have SAD or bipolar 2 in addition to BPD and ADHD I. Reading the criteria for borderline personality disorder explained so much about my life and I fit 7 of them for sure. I would appreciate any responses if anyone has experienced similar because I'm just wondering if this is something way beyond what a borderline person might experience or if it is something that could be part of splitting. These fantasies are about the same guy that I put on a pedestal and gush about endlessly at other moments.

• Like 1

Interesting. I haven't experienced what you've described, but as far as I'm aware, it sounds like classic splitting -  a major feature of Borderline.

On a similar note, Years ago an old pdoc said I had some BPD features, but it wasn't enough for a full diagnosis. Some days, I used to idolize my partner (think they were the love of my life, my prince charming, so perfect, etc) and then times where he didn't give me enough attention, I'd move into a state of resentment. I'd get depressed, feel neglected, and think he didn't really care about me. I'd fantasize about something happening to ME (ex: cancer diagnosis) so that he would give me more attention, soothing, sympathy or emotional support. It's like I wanted this illness/drama, just so that he would worry about me. At the time, I didn't realize that this was a neurotic behavioral pattern. Borderline? Narcissistic? I don't know...but it was dysfunctional.

• Like 2

I've had that, too. This definitely Disturbed me more though.

I know I did see one terrible post on Reddit where the child of a BPD mother said her mom used to tell her all the time that she hoped the wonderful father/husband would die and then they can get the insurance when he did. So I'm thinking it's not unheard of. But that's pretty terrible.

Yeah, I'm sure it does happen. Married people can end up really resentful and hating each other. Just staying together for the money. And the child is the one that suffers. I've never wanted anyone dead though..at least anyone that I know personally. I've never been a hateful person (I only hate myself)!!

• Like 2

Hi, yes I find this fantasy to be really common. It is an escape fantasy for me. I'm married with children and often find these negative thoughts creeping in when I'm feeling resentful of the demands on my time. I only recently recognized myself as having BPD, I thought I was the only person who thought this way. It's always been a shameful experience for me. Thank you for sharing this.

• Thanks 1

It refers to splitting someone into an angel one moment and a devil the next, rather than seeing people in the gray as a mix of good and bad.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MisterMelancholy
      I've been depressed and have experienced suicidal thoughts for a long time. I've tried to kill myself multiple times but I've stopped from actually doing it because I fear death. I've always have since the very beginning.
      I don't know how I feel about religion. I don't know which side I should join. I don't want to kill myself because I fear the idea of "oblivion" and nonexistence. The idea of "being asleep" forever without dreaming (Or how else someone might describe it) fears more than anything else. I want to die, but I want to exist too. Call me wishy washy because I am. Whenever someone talks about why they choose to live it's always something like family and responsibility but I simply have little to no connection with anything in the world. It's selfish, I know but I feel kinda alone and left out that apparently no one else I know has the same motivation as me for noting choosing to die.
      Sorry for this dumb post. I just wanted to vent.
    • By amandabines999
      My partner died 3 months ago of a heroin overdose. It was extremely traumatic, as you can imagine. He is not my first partner to pass away in this manner. He and I unfortunately only got to be together for 3 months and it was unlike any relationship I had ever had. I let my guards down and allowed myself to be loved and I truly loved him. Our relationship was amazing until he relapsed. It was recognized to me by many people after he died that our relationship was very unique and that not many people get to have something like that ever. He was my soul mate. I was with a man for 5 years and never felt that kind of connection.
      His death has left a void. I acted recklessly, hooked up with people, reached out to people who didn't respect or care about me, and of course never felt connected (obviously unhealthy behavior).
      I was also sexually assualted by someone I really trusted just a month after his death and am in the process of court cases.
      But I met this guy and it was weird. He's perfect and has been wonderful and understanding in the short time we've been involved, but it hasn't been very long since my partner's death. I've questioned all of my motivations as well as his and feel insecure, but ultimately we have genuine well-intentioned feelings for each other. I worry I need more time alone, but he makes me feel happy in the capacity that another person is able and we have a wonderful thing going.
      Now I feel extremely guilty. Every time I realize I'm happy, I just stop and feel overwhelming guilt.
      I also have developed incredibly low self esteem since my partner died. It is so hard for me to accept that this man is genuine and cares and desires me and isn't just going to abandon me as soon as open up and I trust him.
      I feel conflicted. I want this. I do. And he knows what's going on and has been completely accepting of me. He even is willing to go slow and give me space to grieve. But I feel like I'm abandoning my dead partner even though in reality he abandoned me.
      Feedback, love, and support would be great.
    • By grape.guice
      I'm wondering if anyone here's had an nde... I've been realising I had alot of... Afteraffects. Would be very cool to talk to someone about it if u have, or know someone who has. I

• By grape.guice
      I'm wondering if anyone here's had an nde... I've been realising I had alot of... Afteraffects. Would be very cool to talk to someone about it if u have, or know someone who has. 
    • By LostPrincess
      I don't feel anymore, all I hear is noise. No touch of a hand, no tickle of a whisper in my ear, not a kiss, an embrace, nothing. Nothing except noise. This constant white noise of sounds I can't even string together anymore. It's all consuming and too much. I want to switch it off but I can't do it alone. I need to know that there is someone out there who also hears the noise. Who, like me is ready to not just turn it down but switch it off completely.