CrazyBoards.org

What flavor of anxiety?

Here's a puzzle for you:

I am constantly under some kind of anxiety attack. My heart pumps wildly, like over 100 bpm, constantly. Resting heart rate is about 90. I especially freak out about work, like before, during, and after. I carry work around with me at all times. I take Klonopin to make it through and have even developed a physical addiction. Like right now- I haven't had my K and my heart is telling me about it.

What am I afraid of? Well, in this case, work. In any other case, I can obsess about just about anything. It could be what color eyeshadow to wear and I'll flip about it.

I have PTSD from bad life experiences. That's established. I just don't know why this other shit happens. Is it a part of PTSD? Or another kind of anxiety disorder? Or even a part of BP?

sounds like good ol' anxiety to me.

this was(is?) a MAJOR part of my life, for years. i had severe social anxiety, i couldnt even wake up in the morning and go for a pee without my heart pounding and my hands shaking - for no fucking reason at all.

I hate to even speculate. But I know the feeling. I need to take propranolol because my heart rate is always too high. Then anything that acts on norepinephine will make it even worse. HOWEVER I have no idea if Wellbutrin could be contributing. I know it's different than TCAs or Remeron which were what caused my situation to be worse. When I took Wellbutrin it was like placebo, but that was a long time ago. But maybe something to look into. I still need quite a bit of propranolol and interestingly I need more during down cycles when my anxiety is higher than during my up cycles. I wonder if it would help you. For some reason some of us just have too much adrenaline going all the time and a beta blocker can help.

Lexapro takes care of panic disorder type stuff but GAD is always with me unless I take a lot of Ativan but we know that's not a solution.

I have constant anxiety too. Especially about work or school. It is such a burden that seems to take over my life. I know I have pretty bad social anxiety for sure. GAD is possible, not 100% sure though! I used to take benzos and trying to find a doc that will get me scripts for them again.

loon, are you on an ssri in addtition to the benzos?  If so, which one and what dose? 

Therapy and self help books could be useful for you too as they teach you some techniques to help calm down - even in public without people noticing. 

When my panic disorder was at its peak, I was panicking all the time. I calculated that I was overbreathing for around 12 months, which obviously raises heart rate, makes you feel dizzy, and contributes to anxiety and panic. 

Identifying the root cause of the anxiety can be helpful as the correct meds and therapy can be applied.  For me its voices in my head, hence seroquel has been my saviour (in addition to paxil).

For you it might be something different, of course.

I'm interested in knowing what kind of anxiety disorder you guys think I could have. So far I've received the DX of PTSD and GAD, though they really lean towards some kind of anxiety NOS.

I don't think the Wellbutrin is making it worse. It tones down the depression, which helps.

I've taken Inderal (beta blocker) and it did help, but it lowered my blood pressure to dangerously low levels and I couldn't take it anymore.

I used to take Paxil and gave it up because I felt a love/hate relationship with it and felt like a slave to it. I'm thinking of bringing it back. It contributed to some mania, but also knocked out the anxiety pretty well compared to other stuff I've taken.

I've never tried Zoloft. That could be an option. I'll talk to my pdoc about adding it or another SSRI.

I could be wrong, but isn't a possible symptom of PTSD a state of increased arrousal? Not sure if yours is PTSD related, but something to think about. My official diagnonsense is PTSD/GAD lovechild.

I remember Paxil being an improvement over Zoloft for anxiety for me. It gave me the trembles and sexual side effects were the worst of any AD I took. I think Lexapro is even better with less side effects but too much Lexapro and I get more lethargic than normal (what a funny word) and depression actually increasses.

I have symptoms of PTSD, possibly in part from many consussions, but not sure if it's a diagnosis. Lexapro takes care of the night terrors.

Archived