CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
rowan77

Anyone become manic crossing time zones?

I live in Ireland an have just returned from a 10 day trip in the U.S (Massachusetts....crossed 5 time zones). Despite being awake for 36 hours I am far from tired. I'm alert and busy and haven't been able to relax since I got home this morning. I'm starting to have racing thoughts and am becoming really restless and a bit irritable. 

Anyone else experience this???? Don't want to develop full blown mania.....I am a bit worried!!

Edited by rowan77
Spelling!!!!!!

11 hours ago, sbdivemaster said:

Lack of sleep has been known to trigger hypo/mania... you might want to check with your doctor about getting something to help you get some sleep.

YMMV

Didn't sleep at all last night again. That is 3 nights in a row. Definitely manic now. Rang community mental health nurse this morning and he arranged an appointment with my pdoc. She prescribed Clonazepam 1.5mg 3 times daily and flurazepam 15-30mg at night and nurse will visit me tomorrow to check in with me.

I do not have bipolar disorder, but I have an incredibly hard time sleeping after flying from west to east. Every time I have flown to Europe, it's taken me a week to adjust. So I think it's normal to have trouble sleeping. But as the above poster said ,  lack of sleep can trigger hypomania  or mania so you want to be careful.

Mdd here as well. Thread necro too.

Was up for nearly 40 hrs due to travel and crossing multiple time zones. For a bit under a week my mood got lower but not full on depression. Then I hit a week we’re i was sleeping 30 minutes to an hr a night with maybe a 30 nap and felt great. Not a euphoric mood, however it was better than usual especially given the fact that I usually get super irritable if I don’t have enough sleep.

This actually just happened to me recently this past September. I live in Southeast Pennsylvania in the States (Eastern Time). My partner and I took a trip to Vancouver, Canada (Pacific Time). I started to become SLIGHTLY hypo after a few days, but when I returned I entered a minor mixed episode that we corrected by just upping my dose of Rexulti from 1mg to 1.5mg. It sorted out after a week or two and I just recently decreased my dose back down to 1mg. Looks like you're already on 800mg of Seroquel though so not sure how you would be able to abort the episode other than adding on a low dose typical AP in the short term to augment the Seroquel until you level out. 

2 hours ago, browri said:

This actually just happened to me recently this past September. I live in Southeast Pennsylvania in the States (Eastern Time). My partner and I took a trip to Vancouver, Canada (Pacific Time). I started to become SLIGHTLY hypo after a few days, but when I returned I entered a minor mixed episode that we corrected by just upping my dose of Rexulti from 1mg to 1.5mg. It sorted out after a week or two and I just recently decreased my dose back down to 1mg. Looks like you're already on 800mg of Seroquel though so not sure how you would be able to abort the episode other than adding on a low dose typical AP in the short term to augment the Seroquel until you level out. 

Interesting. While my pdoc and I aren't exactly calling the 30 mins sleep + energy + good mood as hypo for now,  I did end up in a mixed episode following that.

Is that usually the pattern for you? hypo then mixed?

That was last May and I ended up becoming full blown manic and psychotic, followed by severe psychotic depression and was in the hospital for 3 months. With the addition of haloperidol and clonazepam to my usual cocktail I eventually recovered. My pdoc said it was highly likely that the mania was triggered by travelling across time zones. Apparently travelling from West to East can cause mania in people with bipolar disorder and going from East to West can cause depression.

11 minutes ago, argh said:

Interesting. While my pdoc and I aren't exactly calling the 30 mins sleep + energy + good mood as hypo for now,  I did end up in a mixed episode following that.

Is that usually the pattern for you? hypo then mixed?

Well the thing is I didn't truly go fully hypo over that trip. I was meeting up with my father who I don't get to see on a regular basis. So it was a very emotional trip. But for me, euphoria is usually where my hypo threshold is. To be clear, I haven't experienced a full hypomanic episode in quite some time I don't think. 

When I returned from the trip, I became pretty emotionally labile. Crying spells and such, combined with generally increased energy. I was having a little trouble sleeping but not much. My warning signs are usually rapid and loud speech combined with needing less sleep and working overtime. It starts out great and I feel super-productive, but then all that energy just suddenly starts to transform into nails on a chalk-board in my head, like pins and needles, like someone just kept turning up the stereo and my minds ears realized it's suddenly TOO loud. Rapid ruminations if that makes any sense. 

21 minutes ago, browri said:

Well the thing is I didn't truly go fully hypo over that trip. I was meeting up with my father who I don't get to see on a regular basis. So it was a very emotional trip. But for me, euphoria is usually where my hypo threshold is. To be clear, I haven't experienced a full hypomanic episode in quite some time I don't think. 

When I returned from the trip, I became pretty emotionally labile. Crying spells and such, combined with generally increased energy. I was having a little trouble sleeping but not much. My warning signs are usually rapid and loud speech combined with needing less sleep and working overtime. It starts out great and I feel super-productive, but then all that energy just suddenly starts to transform into nails on a chalk-board in my head, like pins and needles, like someone just kept turning up the stereo and my minds ears realized it's suddenly TOO loud. Rapid ruminations if that makes any sense. 

Makes perfect sense..what you experienced when you came back from the trip is pretty much exactly what happened to me. Well crap.

Not asking you to DX me or anything..but is that a bipolar thing or is that related to another DX of yours?

No it's definitely a bipolar thing for me. The roller coaster is just slower and more manageable when I take my meds lol.

To be clear, I do have a lot of emotional issues surrounding my relationship with my father. So it was surely a trigger. Euphoric seeing him. Then returning home and not being with him and I just crashed. Combine that with a really whacked circadian rhythm, and you've got yourself a bit of a mixed episode.

When you look at the DSM, it is actually quite specific on what is required to make up a true hypomanic episode, and by that classification, I haven't been hypomanic in a very long-time, and I haven't had full-blown mixed episodes either that are more typical of Bipolar 1 disorder. However, I gauge my mood based on HOW MUCH of the criteria I meet. Like if I notice that over the course of a few days I'm waking up and I'm fully alert and wide awake from the second I open my eyes, I might begin to wonder. But I don't read into something like that unless it's accompanied by other things like talking excitedly about things I find interesting but nobody else would. It's pretty funny, I can actually look at my history here on CrazyBoards and tell when I was borderline hypomanic because my posts are 2-3x longer than usual.

So if I start to notice I have some symptoms of a hypomanic episode but not enough to actually classify as a full episode, then I know if I don't do something, it will inevitably spiral out of control into a mixed episode. The energy keeps on escalating until it hits a peak, and then it's like going over the edge of a water fall. The roar of the water in your ears and you're falling at the same time. Mixed. Loud and down at the same time. So by the time I catch on I just call my pdoc and ask permission to bump up whatever AAP I'm taking at the time until it calms down, then I decrease again, and one thing I know not to do in a mixed episode is increase my antidepressant. No matter how depressed I may feel at that time, I know if I increase it it will make it worse.....welll....it may make it better at first for a few short days but then the mixed/depressed feeling comes back with a vengeance and it's way worse than before. AAPs are much better to deal with mixed episodes in a pinch.

I've been much more under control though since making Depakote my primary mood stabilizer and just using Rexulti as a booster. I can't ever get to meaningful doses of APs for mood control because my akathisia threshold is really low.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation and perspective.

MI is a hell of a rollercoaster

17 minutes ago, argh said:

Thanks for the explanation and perspective.

MI is a hell of a rollercoaster

You're telling me :wtf:

• Haha 1

I crossed about 5 not long ago and its like i have seperation anxiety or depression too. Most people dont want a trip to end but i felt like my new friends been ripped away. It took me 3 weeks to stop going to bed at 6pm