CrazyBoards.org

Peer Support

I've started going to the local drop-in center for peer support. So far it seems like it could be pretty helpful.

They offer a lot of lectures, the people are pretty nice, and for some reason it doesn't seem to aggravate the agoraphobia.

I'm feeling really hopeful about this right now. Has anyone else done something like this before? Did it help at all?

I believe that the hospital, where I enjoyed my last visit, offers such programs on weekends, but I haven't tried them out yet.  I do much better one-on-one than in group settings.

Tommy

I've been a member of a bipolar support group. It's fizzled out recently, owing to low interest and a difficult period in the organizer's health and life, but I remain friends with the organizer. Basically, three or four of us would meet up in a cafe, talk about life, help one another out where we could, leave, and call to check up on each other if we felt like it. We were friends. Some of us were closer friends than others, but the group was small enough I think you could call all members friends.

This helped me get into school, helped me choose my program, borrow textbooks. My continued friendship with the group's founder (also very BP) has continued to be a source of support in so many senses.

i've been to a few groups held at a hospital. they were ok. this was back when i was hypomanic. so i had a good time since i gobbled up the conversation airwaves. after that...eh. i was disenchanted. everyone just spoke so slowly, and many of the tales were really boring and drawn out. i sympathized. but i was bored. and i wasn't helped. i helped by listening. so that i don't mind. but i haven't been setting my clock to go to the next one.

I belong to a DBSA support group that meets 2 times per month.  I really like it.  There is nothing like getting together with people that understand where your coming from.  Just being able to talk about life in an open way is helpful.  Not worrying about being judged, sharing daily struggles and joys, finding solutions, when MI groups work they are very uplifting.

So far, this has been a great experience for me. It's kind of like the live-action version of CB.

The center is completely run by people with various flavors of MI...everyone contributes in some way, as much as they are able.

Thursday I'm taking a lecture on dealing with conflict. But by far the best part is just being able to spend time with people, who I don't feel are judging me. 

I've been out and about more in the last 3 weeks, than I have in the last 3 years I think.

Archived