CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gearhead

Your preferred med for Autistic anxiety

I’m too tired to ask with any finesse. I can’t take benzos. They make me pukey, and I don’t like what they do to my head. SSRIs are sort of ok. Lexapro was kind of the best, but the side effects became problematic. Cymbalta, meh. Viibryd is going ok, but not rocking my world. 

Suggestions?

Could you be more specific? In my experience there is more than 1 type of anxiety exclusive to being autistic. 

For example, overanalysing anxiety, the type of anxiety that comes with thinking too much, specifically with analysing things too much, and the need to find a solution to all of your problems, or rather doing it so much that you can't find one, or just simply not finding one at all regardless. 

Sensory anxiety, the type of anxiety that comes from ill-fitting sensory input, whether that be too much or not enough. 

Communication/social anxiety, the type of anxiety that comes from inevitable misinterpretations both on your behalf and other people's behalf, or anxiety in fear of such occurring in the near future. 

Change anxiety, the type of anxiety that comes from life transitions, and even from any future of trying something new and unfamiliar. 

Wow, good breakdown. I hadn’t thought of it that way. The first one, by a mile.

Do you have issues with sedation on your current meds? If not I would say the atypical antidepressant, Mirtazapine, if you haven't already tried that. I was on that for the longest of all the meds I have tried, and even though I was trying it for my MDD, it helped a lot more with that.

You could also try increasing your antipsychotic. 

Although I would say that therapy would probably be of more use than meds for that, at least that was the case for me. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

Have you tried CBD?

Better pharmaceutical solutions are out there but it's worth a try.  It's what is keeping us sane right now.

When I have a pdoc, it a combination of AAPs and SSRIs for everything HoBro listed. 

I'm with Hopelessly Broken on this one, especially if what you're dealing with is runaway thinking patterns and overanalysis. It sounds as if you need to build in some cognitive filters or rumble strips or something to alert your meta-cognition that the thoughts are out of order. You have the power to govern them. You can erect mental routines to pause, redirect, vent, or repurpose that mental energy, and you can harness physical processes like purposed breathing to regain control. If you're not meditating regularly, you may want to try (I need to get back to doing more of this myself.)

Think of the pills you take as seeds - you have to prepare the ground they're planted in for them to thrive.

@Cerberus I’ve been in therapy since I was 28. That’s 17 years of it not helping even slightly. I can’t mediate. Period. There seems to be some hang up between the autism and the bipolar. Meditating is hell. The last thing I need is more alone time with my brain.

@Velvet Elvis, what kind of CBD are you using? Prescription? Health food store?

@Hopelessly Broken, I took mirtazapine for something once upon a time...I think it was sleep, for which it did not work. What dose did you take?

Thank you all for responding.

I took 45 mg at night. Was way too sedating for me though and made my depression worse because I have atypical depression symptoms.

Personally I don't consider meditation to be therapy. Its garbage. Same thing for mindfulness. I'm talking about therapy that actually works with your thinking processes. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

I’m sorry, Cerb. I snapped at you, and I very much shouldn’t have. I find the whole space around therapy and mindfulness very frustrating. It seems to me that those approaches sometimes work for autistics with certain co-morbidities, but in my experience, my circle of acquaintance, for very few people. With the bipolar in my brain, the mixture is a total no-go. This is why I asked about meds. 

But I was dreadful to you and you were trying to help and I am very, very sorry.

On 28/05/2018 at 5:25 PM, Velvet Elvis said:

Have you tried CBD?

Better pharmaceutical solutions are out there but it's worth a try.  It's what is keeping us sane right now.

I was going to suggest something like this.  I used to smoke, before I had kids.  It's illegal here, so I stopped when I got pregnant, and have tried to lead by example (doing the 'right' thing).  Since then, 16yrs on, I've tried multiples of every family of happy pill out there, suffered myriad side effects, to no avail.  Still have crippling anxiety.  It's the only thing that has made me relax, and SHUT MY STUPID BRAIN UP.  Honest to god, I'm so sick to death of my head and it's veritable tornado of thoughts.

I’ve since tried CBD oil, and it’s pretty effective. Around here you can buy the hemp-derived variety at any self-respecting co-op, right along with your organic veggies, gluten-free cookies, and free-range vegans. Sorry! I meant chickens. (No disrespect to vegans or veganism as a lifestyle. I simply couldn’t resist.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gearhead said:

I’ve since tried CBD oil, and it’s pretty effective. Around here you can buy the hemp-derived variety at any self-respecting co-op, right along with your organic veggies, gluten-free cookies, and free-range vegans. Sorry! I meant chickens. (No disrespect to vegans or veganism as a lifestyle. I simply couldn’t resist.) 

Oh, that's awesome, I'm so happy for you. I could throw out 4 of my med's if it was legal here. All the best :)