If cymbalta was a miracle for awhile...

But then pooped out, is there a decent chance Effexor will work at least similarly?

I’ve been VERY screwed for a long while now and on the verge of giving up completely. 

Also does it help with anxiety at all?

Edited by GettingUpThere

1 hour ago, GettingUpThere said:

But then pooped out, is there a decent chance Effexor will work at least similarly?

I’ve been VERY screwed for a long while now and on the verge of giving up completely. 

Also does it help with anxiety at all?

I have been on Cymbalta for about two years, at some point my anxiety became worse and I switched to Effexor. Pretty good so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GettingUpThere said:

Thanks for replying. And thanks for the hope. ?

You're welcome.

This search is mainly trial and error.

Frustrating, but giving up is not real option.

• Like 1

I was on Cymbalta like 10 years ago (for about 2 years 60-90mg dose). I have currently been on Effexor for 7 months (150mg) I would say, give it a shot! I am weaning off because I want to see if I can get my sex drive back (all meds ruin it for me) and you must be very compliant as the half-life is so short. but I'll say, Effexor made me cool as a cucumber.

Really helps with anxiety - I mainly felt "spacey" for awhile when ramping up, but after a couple months I can say that I didn't have any intense depressive episodes/crying spells like I did in the past. I didn't have any weight gain or other side effects except maybe constipation.

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

I was on Cymbalta like 10 years ago (for about 2 years 60-90mg dose). I have currently been on Effexor for 7 months (150mg) I would say, give it a shot! I am weaning off because I want to see if I can get my sex drive back (all meds ruin it for me) and you must be very compliant as the half-life is so short. but I'll say, Effexor made me cool as a cucumber.

Really helps with anxiety - I mainly felt "spacey" for awhile when ramping up, but after a couple months I can say that I didn't have any intense depressive episodes/crying spells like I did in the past. I didn't have any weight gain or other side effects except maybe constipation.

Now that I’ve read up on it more, the side effect and withdrawal stuff scares the shite out of me! I’m gonna see if cymbalta will be magical again with topamax added I think. And yeah. Really need to curb my anxiety some way other than Xanax. That withdrawal will already be hell!

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

Sorry I totally changed my mind about Effexor before you replied! I’ve been scrubbing these boards and research articles etc etc and I decided I should stick with cymbalta and add on something for the wt. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was on effexor until about 2 months ago. Ive taken most of the SSRIs and none of them gave me apathy and flattening like this drug. I think I lost about 3 years of my life out of work and unable to do anything. Im off it and within a month I have a part time job. also the withdrawals were just as bad as I heard. Had to go down one pellet at a time or the nausea became really bad. Brain zaps took about a month to go away. I only tried this out of desperation I knew what I was getting into.

Everyone is different though. Some people get these side effects from other vanilla SSRIs and have no issue with effexor. -shrug-

I also have PTSD and honestly this didnt help with much besides dulling the anger (which could be dissociation or depression) . I found lexapro did much better at 20+ mg but it was also somewhat dulling and below this dose seemed to make the anger worse.

Cymbalta and Effexor are in the same drug class so I would think Cymbalta working for you so well would indicate that Effexor would too. I also have had good luck retrying meds, this is the second time I've been on effexor, second time on Abilify and third time on Wellbutrin although I think the Effexor might have pooped out again on me. Because of that I would be open to retrying Cymbalta if I were you. I have been on Cymbalta in the past and it pooped out on me, that's when my pdoc suggested retrying Effexor. Both drugs helped my anxiety but of course your experience might be different. You are BP so I would be concerned about mania but according to your signature you are on Vraylar, Lamictal, and Geodon so I would hope those would keep you away from mania.

• Like 1