CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
dancesintherain

Worse when I have my period?

My period’s really irregular.  But I’m starting to find that I get really bad migraines when it decides to happen.  Is that a thing?  Should I treat it differently from any other migraine?

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

My period’s really irregular.  But I’m starting to find that I get really bad migraines when it decides to happen.  Is that a thing?  Should I treat it differently from any other migraine?

I don’t know about treating it differently, but my migraines are significantly worse, too.

Mine are worse too around period time. My dod wanted to give me Frova as an abortive for period migraines (Maxalt us my usual) and he gave me a script for Cataflam for period migraines (as opposed to the Esgic for regular migraine pain). My insurance wouldn't cover the Frova so I have no idea if it would have made a difference or not.

Have you been to a lady-doctor in a while?  It might be worth talking to one and seeing if you've developed PMDD (which might explain the headaches) or PCOS (which causes super irregular periods), both of which are very treatable.

Granted, I've had a hysterectomy and still get migraines around when my period should be.  (I blame my broken ovaries.)

Edited by Bad Haiku

I haven't been in about a year and a half.  Part of the PTSD stems from that sort of medical trauma as a kid.  So I've been in avoidance mode.  Another friend suggested PCOS though, so it may not hurt to see.

Interesting that there might be different med choices.  I'll talk with my neuro about it.

Ah just seen this. Apparently hormonal changes are a super common migraine trigger. I've heard mixed reports about using birth control as a means of regulating periods, but it seems so individual that it's not very helpful advice. Some people stop their periods completely, others have very heavy (if more regular) ones. I hope you are able to see someone about your period problems though. I had a not-great reaction to a cervical exam (nothing to do with the nurse, more just triggering), but at least it got it out of the way.

I might need to just get it out of the way.  My therapist has proposed doing it as an exposure-approach...so step one being researching doctors on my insurance, step two being calling them to make an appointment, step three being getting myself to the building where the appointment is, etc.  I might need to do that.  She said that she doesn't normally offer to go with someone, but that if that's what would help get me in the door (i.e. not in the appointment itself), she could make it work. 

I feel like it should be easier.  But I guess that's life. 

I think it's whatever works for you. Like you said, if it gets you through the door. Everything with anxiety/trauma attached to it feels like it should be easier, but it isn't. Sometimes one health need trumps another. Hopefully having your therapist there will help, in spirit if not in person

45 minutes ago, ananke said:

I think it's whatever works for you. Like you said, if it gets you through the door. Everything with anxiety/trauma attached to it feels like it should be easier, but it isn't. Sometimes one health need trumps another. Hopefully having your therapist there will help, in spirit if not in person

Thanks, that’s a helpful perspective.  I do think I’ll be having her there in spirit rather than in person.  I don’t know her that well yet (my old therapist just left), so it seems like a bit much.

• Like 1