CrazyBoards.org

My left forearm has been asleep all day

I've not had it as aside effect of meds, but I do know that I sometimes pinch the nerve from my elbow down through the outside of my hand while typing. That results in the small fingers of my hands feeling that 'tingly' and 'falling asleep' feeling. I just need to watch how I hold my elbows on my desk when typing or reading a lot at my computer.

Fiona

Heya Tommy,

I would think about diabetes; less likely b/c it's only one arm and not both, and not feet.

I would also think about (as Fiona mentioned) nerve compression.  Think of the thing we call "funnybone" which is the ulnar nerve passing around the elbow.  Squishing that nerve with leaning on it can cause what you feel.

I also would think about tennis/golfer elbow.

That's where the muscles that control your forearm/wrist/hand are strained.

They join on to your upper arm (humerus) at the epicondyles.  Bumps you can feel just above your elbows.

The place they join onto is their most vulnerable point, for tiny tears, and inflammation.

In short, big owie with weakness.

At any rate, physio, ice, antiinflammatories, are the mainstay.

If I could put my hands on you, I could tell you what it is.

But I can't put my hands on you from here.  My arms can't reach.  So your doc might have a completely different take.

;)

--ncc--

Hey TOMMY--you been tossing that caber or whatever you call it??  I bet you went to a Highland Games and had to WIN!!

he he he

Are there any Games in the winter, or is that strictly a summer thing?

olga

Heya Tommy,

Yah might for sure have slept on it wrong.

In which case, hand guy will find nothing, and it becomes yet another case of, "Well, doctor, you see, I had this horrible rash yesterday ... hey, where'd it go?  But it was a doozy.  What was it?"

Hand guy might do nerve conduction studies -- little electrodes on your fingers measuring how fast your nerves conduct, and tiny acupuncture needles to activate the said nerves.  Feels like a buzzing, wee electric shock to me.  Funny to watch my thumb jump on its own, when the motor nerves were stimulated, but okay b/c I knew what was causing it.

Or it's still tennis elbow.

;)

Keep us posted!

--ncc--

My doc is expecting the hand guy to do the nerve conduction studies.  It appears that the muscle that makes the hand lift is numb (pins & needles) although today I can lift the hand about an inch.

Tommy

So sorry you are going through this. Even if it's not painful, I'm sure it's disconcerting.

I've had the nerve conduction studies. ncc did a good job of describing it. Kind of mild buzz, slight funny-bone feeling; each zap ultra quick. Milliseconds. Really pretty interesting to watch.

It turns out to be "radial nerve palsy", more popularly known among hand surgeons as "saturday night palsy".  It results from compression of the radial nerve as it crosses the back of the arm and runs toward the arm pit.  The disorder got its nickname because so many inebriated souls fall asleep/pass out with their arms hooked over the back of a chair or sofa applying continuous pressure to the nerve.  Most people move too much in their sleep for this to happen, but since I'm on restoril and klonopin at night, I apparently didn't move soon enough.

Anyway doc says it is already getting better and in 6 weeks will be 95% healed.  Until such time I wear a goofy brace so I can drive etc.

Tommy

Archived