CrazyBoards.org

Tolerance to increasing dosage (Adderall XR)

Hey guys, I've been on Adderall XR since the start of December.  I've gradually increased my dosage from 20mg XR to 50mg XR (single dose).  From 20-40mg, I'd also have a 20mg IR in the afternoon.  Initially, the results were great, but after about 2 weeks at each higher dose, the effects would taper off and continue to degrade.  Each monthly visit has seen a dosage increase, most recently I received a 60mg XR (morning) with no afternoon dose (yet).  I am concerned that the effect of this will continue to wear off after a few weeks on each dosage. 

Is there some connection with the XR formulation compared to the IR?  Have any of you experiencned a tolerance when taking XR that went away when taking IR?

In addition, I'd like to find out more about the effects of different neurotransmitters are on behavior.  ie - how is oversupply/undersupply of a particular neurotransmitter manifested in behavior and brain function?

Gah, I wish I didn't have to experiment so much with meds - my pdoc is suggesting that after 60mg XR, the dose is too high to continue increasing it, andn w'ell have to try somethinng else.  What have you guys tried who have faced this tolerance?

i haven't had to increase my dose all that much, i was taking a 25 mg XR Adderall dose in the morning......but for my morning dose I have added a 10 mg Dexedrine spansule  and downed my 25 mg XR dose of Adderall to 20 mgs of XR Adderall. which has helped a lot with getting more energy (it seemed that the Adderall didn't get enough dextroamphetamine into my system and the other 3 amphetamine salts in the Adderall combination weren't doing as much as the d-amphetamine in the energy/concentration dept....though they do help a ton with hyperactivity issues).  So instead of just taking a 25 mg XR Adderall dose (with only around 6.2 mgs of d-amphetamine in it), I added an extra 10 mgs of Dexedrine (straight up d-amphetamine).......thus giving me 15 mgs of d-amphetamine, and 15 mgs of 3 other amphetamine salts (one being levitoamphetamine).  I know combining other CNS stims isn't done much, but it might be worth the try........also Desoxyn might be worth a try as well if you p-doc is willing to prescribe it.

Archived