Doctor gave me celexa 10mg for anxiety, does it cause weight gain?

Typically with most SSRIs, either no weight gain or maybe even weight loss acutely occurs, but in the long run, sometimes weight gain can occur, whether that is just putting on weight that was lost initially, or if that means putting on weight in addition to baseline weight, but this is typically no more than 5 lb or so in most patients; however, that can sometimes be more.

I've never taken Celexa before, but I've taken Lexapro, its "offspring" medicine, and personally, I did gain quite a bit of weight (20+ lb), but I was 15 and 16 years old at the time and was eating however I wanted and didn't care about my diet. Since my mid 20s, I've been on numerous SSRIs and SNRIs with minimal to no weight gain, even some weight loss for some, but I've been really watching my diet and being careful and conscientious about what I eat.

• Like 1

Of the people who take either Celexa (citalopram) or Lexapro (escitalopram -- which is essentially just one half of the Celexa molecule but actually more efficient and more effective in many people), there is a modestly sized portion of them that do gain weight. However, like @mikl_pls said, it's minimal overall. Additionally, 10mg is a really low dose of Celexa and would be roughly equivalent to 5mg of Lexapro, although I know some here on CB who have tried both will generally argue otherwise. A dose this low should have less of a propensity for weight gain than if you were taking a full dose of 40mg of Celexa or 20mg of Lexapro (which at that dose of Lexapro is actually probably more like 60mg of Celexa, so you can see the potency and equivalency are not exactly the same between the too.

• Like 1

Out of all of the antidepressant medications I've taken, only one has caused weight gain in me: Remeron. That made me fat fat fat!!! Well, in reality I only gained about 20 pounds, but I felt fat and ugly. I was on Celexa before, and I had no weight gain or loss. You should be good to go.

• Thanks 1