CrazyBoards.org

A major setback

Hi,

I have been trying to get medical insurance to see a tdoc and pdoc, but I just found out yesterday that I got denied coverage from kaiser permanente because of my pre-existing condition.  This is the second insurance comp. that I tried to enroll with and got denied. 

I feel kind of trapped.  I haven't had the courage to leave the apartment for the last few days, and it really sucks.  If I thought that the ball was even rolling, I would have a little hope I think and be more motivated, but I just feel fucked over.

Sorry to hear that.  Insurance companies SUCK.  You give them all this money on a monthly basis and then when it comes time to need something from them, they seem to try and screw you in any way possible.

I'm not sure what city, state you live in...but if you live near a major city with a teaching university hospital, most have training programs where you can see tdoc and pdoc at a very reduced rate...

Or even discussing with your GP if he/she is a good one is helpful.  I have a great GP who has addressed my MI for many years.  Only now am I getting referred to a Pdoc for bipolar issues.  For anxiety, my GP has been helpful.  She sent me to relaxation therapy and prescribed different meds to combat GAD.

And yes, insurance companies do suck.

Dee

you might want to call your county department of human services office (or whatever agency also does programs like food stamps, etc, in your area) to see if they have a program for the uninsured/lower income people in the county.  i know that my county does and that is how i am able to see a pdoc and tdoc.  once you get the prescriptions many drug companies have prescription assistance programs and then you will be taken care of.  good luck and don't give up :-)

To reiterate what Lemonflavor said, I just found out that my state has a state sponsored health insurance which can be purchased if you meet certain criteria.  The plan is very basic and elegibility is limited.    Your local community mental health center or social services can probably tell you about options for your state.

Good luck.

A.M.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your responses.  It was really cool to read them.  A lot of people mentioned contacting the state insurance board.  I did that, and ended up getting referred to something called the Oregon Medical Insurance Pool.  It turns out that OMIP offers "un-conditional" medical insurance, BUT...and this is a big BUT, there is a six month waiting period for any pre-existing condition.  So I was basically back to square one...EXCEPT at around the same time my friend dug up a couple of numbers, and I was able to contact a psychiatrist who is willing to work for half price, which is still  little expensive but not much more than I'd be paying for medical ins. in the first place.  And if he turns out to be good, it could be well worth it.  Prescriptions are another story, but I'll have to find some way to pay for those too.

Archived