CrazyBoards.org

I took an exercise class tonight

Heya Secrets,

Yah sometimes getting out of your job is treatment!

Most of my exercise is solo/outside b/c of the schizoid thing, but yah, it helps, so much, when I do it.

Good for you.

--ncc--

I HATE going to the gym, but I feel so calm and happy afterwards. I really should go more often. But I'm a smoker, so aerbic traing sucks.

I can do poweryoga and some weight lifting.

Maybe I should give it a go again...

secrets that's good news. When I lost my last "real" job I lived on unemployment for the first 9 months, and going to the gym a lot and just destressing not having to work was helpful in working out a lot of things.

I feel healthier since I went on disability :-). Being away from the negative 8hr environment I do more with my day than I have in a while. It feels like a new start.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow

thanks for sharing this!

best news I've had all day!!

congratulations!

looking forward to reading all about some cool new interests you find on your journey of de-stressing.

They claim that exercise is as powerful as Prozac. I'm not sure if this is the case, at least for everyone, but I know if does help. Good for you for having the motivation to get out there and take care of yourself!

Secrets would you mind saying what your diagnosis/basis is for getting on disability? I'm at the reconsideration level and fear they're never going to accept my claim. I'm "only" depressed and BP II.

Exercise is absolutely necessary therapy for me, but I can tell you it's nothing like what a drug can do. I exercised before drugs and it's good for you, and I think necessary, but doesn't get you the therapeutic results that drugs will if you're bad off.

Secrets,

I have nothing new to really add here, except that I'm glad excercing is helping you.  I lost thirty pounds excercising with a workout regiment I found in a Men's Fitness magazine, and it feels great.  The endorphins are oh-so-nice, and the feeling of accomplishment and raised energy levels aren't so bad, either.

I have to say, in only my own experience, regular exercise hs been more effective than any anti-depressants I've taken (which includes several SSRIs), with the added benefit that exercize never makes me manic, and has a natural limiter so that you can't actually get too much exercize very easily. It not only gives a sense of peace and positivity that is connected to endoprhins, but also makes you more resistant to anxiety and physical stress, improves mental functioning by increasing blood flow, controls appetite and limits cravings for junk food, promotes regular, restorative sleep, and is meditative. All the "hygeine" things that have been shown to very much impact the course of depression and bipolar tend to improve as if by themselves simply from getting 30+ minutes of cardio exercize 4 or 5 days a week. Over time, you can develop a "feedback" loop where the exercize itself feels like it's doing these things while you're exercizing, and it becomes as addictive as a drug.

The trick to the gym to me is to not look around at gym rats and start making it about looking more like that or needing to hit some goal. I try to get into it as purely a way of feeling better that day, and this limits how much I might overdo it and wear myself out. Most people at gyms -- literally the vast majority -- are working too hard to see the real benefits.

I also prefer, when I can do it, hiking and long city walks. I've been known to do an 8 hour walk through Boston or Cambridge, and this feels incredible. Much much better way to spend the day than cooped up inside watching TV.

Keep us posted Secrets on how the exercize is helping you feel less depressed. Good luck ;)

Although I feel much the same way as Jemini about exercise, I don't respond to it quite as strongly as he does, and at my worst it didn't help me all that much. Or, at least, not nearly enough. And there are people who don't get much out of it at all, at least in the mood department. I've got to think it's good for almost everyone's health. With my appetite, I'd probably be spherical by now if I didn't do something. Also concur about the long walks, tho I'm not terribly patient.

After all these years I still often have trouble getting some sort of exercise every day. I just missed 3 days in a row, until just now.

I concur about long walks. And there's value just being someplace else. When I'm only a little down, a drive on a sunny day with music on the radio helps a lot.

Archived