CrazyBoards.org

Dr. Phil March 7

Heya TV-watching crazies,

Apparently the topic on Dr. Phil next Tuesday is:

"Inside the mind of a Bi-Polar."

Spelled like that and everything.

I only hope it's as non-crappy as the schizoprenia ep, but the truth will out.

--ncc--

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just went to Dr. Phil's site. Here's what it says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extreme Highs and Lows

Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. Cathy claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Then, Fred's disorder causes him to hear voices and believe his life is a movie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this with an appropriately dramatic and distraught slide show going on in the background. With the obligatory shots of Dr. Phil being the caring helper.

I guess we can pretty well rule out the concept of bipolar spectrum disorder. Or who knows? I gave up on Dr. Phil long ago, so I don't know...maybe he'll do a decent show. One hopes.

Uh, yeah, Dr. Phil is the one with MI! It is just crazy to call us "psycho". What a man! He can pick on other people!

I'd watch it but I'd get too upset and throw stuff at the TV.

Bi-Polar?!! They're going to get a lot of mail for that!

I didn't read this for myself, but my boyfriend told me that 1 in 4 Americans has a form of MI. This is just the ones who are DXed. What about the people who don't know or don't report it?

And with the discovery of BP spectrum, there are so many of us who find that we are actually bipolar. I think it is 4% of the population, counting all the forms of BP. Something like 1% are BP1. With the "soft" forms of BP that claim as many lives as the more "classic" forms, I think a show portraying BP as always being such a noticeable, radical disorder will harm those who do have BP but become misinformed by this show.

RANT! ;)   :)

All of this with an appropriately dramatic and distraught slide show going on in the background. With the obligatory shots of Dr. Phil being the caring helper.

don't forget the shots of his OMG PERFECT wife in the audience!!!

we need a vomit emoticon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't forget the shots of his OMG PERFECT wife in the audience!!!

we need a vomit emoticon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn straight we need a vomit emoticon!!! The feeling that I need to vomit because people are assholes is very common.

I attended a professional seminar on dealing with clients with MI the other day, taught by a real MD Psychiatrist.  She lumped ALL Bi-Polars into that same pot, insanely manic or psychotic, all the time, just like it sounds like Dr. P will be doing.  I was so amazed at her stupidity and her "nerve" that after the class, I asked her privately if she had just never heard of BO Spectrum or BP II or just wanted to scare the shit out of a lot of uneducated people.  She never really replied.

So I won't be telling THAT bunch(my co-workers) that I am the dreaded BP--they already expect me to kill them in their sleep.

I usually really dig Dr. P., cause he can get to the bottom of shit faster than a roto-rooter.  But I will have to take exception if he lumps us all together.  And I WILL be watching.  And I WILL be disappointed if he sinks to that level.

But that Stepford Wife of his--scary, really scary!!

china, closet supporter of Dr. Phil (and--gasp--even Oprah)

So it sounds like he's only going to explore the manic side of things.  What should I say to my mom, who religiously watches the show?  Should I warn her beforehand or wait for her to say something about it to me?

Just tell her it's Dr. Phil and he's full of crap most of the time. That more or less says it all.

My favorite episode was the one where he said 'Do you wanna bow up?' to a guy.

I wish to *god* he'd say that to me sometime.

And didn't the 'trophy wife' leave him once cause he was screwing around and that's when he started parading her on the show? To show what a clean wholesome family man he is? ;)

Besides, anyone with a moustache that stupid looking deserves ridicule. :)

HAHA!  I just registered on his message board and told him he couldn't even spell bipolar correctly and also pointed out that he has no degree in psychology whatsoever.  Also pointed out that he has been arrested for domestic violence against his first wife.....

I did not use ANY profanity and when I tried to submit, the website told me my "post was inappropriate".  Who the fuck does this asshole think he is???  If he was standing next to me, my bipolar ass would club him over the head with a baseball bat.....

What can we do to stop this monster???

Could anyone be bothered to give specific examples of why Dr. Phil is so objectionable? I'm genuinely curious. I don't watch his show, but some of the advice on his website is above all praise--assuming that taking responsibility for one's life is a good thing.

I don't have a very high opinion of psychology: it's few worthwhile elements are a footnote to Shakespeare. But since psychology has filled the void left by religion we can't just ignore its high priests. Let's judge them with a curve. Dr. Phil seems better than most of the flaky windbags out there.

Who is he being compared to that he consistently receives such harsh grades? He's no Buddha or Aristotle, but the folks who watch afternoon TV are not going to be studying them. So help me out: Which TV guru should we be following?

Archived