CrazyBoards.org

Anyone get mild transient paranoia?

I get this weird transient paranoia that breaks thru my meds, under stress. It goes away on it's own (thank god, because it didn't when I wasn't on the right meds). Does anyone else experience this?

It's like, you just left your therapist's office from a stressful session, and you open the door and go outside, and all of a sudden it seems like everyone knows you, and is starting at you, blah blah blah. Then it goes away.

Anyone?

I get this weird transient paranoia that breaks thru my meds, under stress. It goes away on it's own (thank god, because it didn't when I wasn't on the right meds). Does anyone else experience this?

It's like, you just left your therapist's office from a stressful session, and you open the door and go outside, and all of a sudden it seems like everyone knows you, and is starting at you, blah blah blah. Then it goes away.

Anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uh yeah. i had to stop teaching, in part because i would get so stressed out by a student leaning over to their classmate, or the looks i was getting/not getting, the silence, anything and everything.. and i would start to dissociate and lose where i was, what i was saying, and the ideas i was having. that and wanting to drive my car off the road on the way to work.

it happens in broader circumstances than this, and (geez i'm talking about this a lot lately) it's worse/more present during pms.  i found it to be more intense last week (alot of things were) as i stopped taking seroquel for sleep.

yellow, are you saying that it's not intense enough to be intolerable, cause of the meds? that's a good thing. still though, not pleasant.

pj

Anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I get this all the time, which is why I'm going to give seroquel a try....

I'm not bipolar (but I am borderline which lists transient paranoia as a symptom as well) and I notice this when I'm not taking my Risperdal.  I start feeling like people are stealing from me, mostly.  Or going through my things.  Not so much strangers... my family, roommates, etc.  And of course, the teachers giving me weird looks that mean something evil blah blah blah.

Maybe it's just social anxiety for me, but I am convinced that people are talking about me behind my back, saying what a poor excuse for a human being I am.  People that know me, people in stores, and  how awful it is to have to look at the checkout person. 

When I'm hypomanic/manic, then I don't mind talking to people I don't know, and I think everyone loves me and thinks I possess special qualities that they admire me for.  Then the down comes and I can't bear to leave the house.

It's just a big fat ball of fun....NOT.

I always live with this odd paranoia. I'm terrified that I'm going to get fired, like a constant terror. It comes and goes too sometimes. It depends on my mood state, actually. Right now I'm medicated, but still in a break-through mixed state. That is the worst for me, because it increases the anxiety AND paranoia together. My thoughts race about how people are looking at me funny, talking about me, think I'm stupid, whatever.

If it is bad or if you feel you would benefit from meds, ask your pdoc about an SSRI or even about increasing your Seroquel or changing Atypicals. I felt my "best" on 800mg Seroquel, but then stopped in favor of Risperdal (which gave me lactation) because I was a zombie on Seroquel. Do what you feel comfortable with and what your treatment team suggests.

yellow, are you saying that it's not intense enough to be intolerable, cause of the meds? that's a good thing. still though, not pleasant.

pj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, paranoia used to overwhelm me back in the 1990s. Now I just get it a little under stress, and I can control it or it goes away when I do reality checks over the subject at hand, with my family.

It IS possible to have enough of it that you can manage without additional atypicals.

I did not know it was dissociative in nature, though. I have been diagnosed dissociative before, but not MPD. How is paranoid dissociative in nature?

How is paranoid dissociative in nature?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

guessing only in that it triggers a reaction to overwhelming situation (real or imagined). i don't know. there's too many things lately that i feel like i've never even talked to pdoc about so don't know how much help these thoughts are.

(which i've tried, btw, it just gets lost or eclipsed by what seem to be more 'important' things).

pj may be talking out of her elbow again.

Sure, I do too.  Medication has improved things to where it's situational, and usually involved with social or intense business situations.

Now that medication has made it possible for my brain to work better I'm starting to make some serious progress psychologically.  I now suffer from much less paranoia; it comes on less frequently, and when it does I can move out of it into sanity pretty quickly.  I'll get the idea that I'm about to be fired, and I can then recognize that the thought is irrational, look back at what triggered it, and then in therapy I can work on my "issues."

And the issue is usually self-esteem and safety.  Sometimes it turns out I need to avoid the situation; sometimes I need to step up and take care of myself better by being assertive or changing how I talk.  But sometimes I need to sit down with my therapist and deal with the fact that the reason I'm paranoid or frightened is that my parents drilled into me that I could never trust people and that people are always out to hurt me and abandon me.  Once I realize that my parents are no longer involved I can learn to react like a grown up and get comfortable.

Blah, blah, blah.  I'm just full of words today.  Short answer is that medication improved things but I didn't really start getting better until I really dug in with therapy.  Now everything is getting much better much faster.

Actually, Boyd, if you think about it, stress responses are adaptive, at least to some degree.  The problem is when you get stuck in the initial stress response instead of moving on.  Here in civilization--OK, most western cultures--we aren't dealing with episodic stress; it's repeated and unpredictable, and generally we can't resolve it quickly, so our stress becomes chronic and wear us down.  And we BP folks not only get stuck but can spin out emotionally.

I'm not sure what's helping me these days.  I just seem to be more resilient.  I asked him this morning how it works and he confessed he really doesn't understand the mechanism but just knows it can work.  Nowadays something very bad or very scary can happen (car accident, emergency hearing, obstreporous client) and I get that initial surge of adrenaline, but instead of continuing to be pumped up I can calm down but still have heightened attention and response I need to deal with the situation.  I did start taking cortisol last month at pdoc's orders.  Supposedly it does something to deal with ongoing stress.  Whatever it is, it's a nice change.

Archived