CrazyBoards.org

PMS and breast tenderness/pain *girly*

Since they've been messing around with my efexor dose, my hormones are seriously rebelling....

I used to have very tender, lumpy and painful tender breasts about a week or so before my period. But, since taking magnesium this hasn't been a problem.

Until the past 2 months.

This time has to be the worst.

Only people who have experienced it will know what I mean.

Add to that a general pre-menstrual dysphoria......(weepy eyes for no apparant reason)....

Any tips?

I've heard Evening Primrose Oil is good....

Spare me this pain.....

nestling:

I don't know if you're a coffee/coke/tea-drinker, but caffeine is a major cause of breast lumps and tenderness.  I know exactly how painful they are--when it happened to me, my doctor told me to knock off the caffeine and take Vitamin E. 

It worked for me and it wasn't medicine, so I liked that solution!

olga

nope, don't drink tea, coffee, or coke. eat chocolate occasionally...but that's all.

Someone else suggested Evening Primrose Oil. I think you can get ones that include vitamin E. I'll hit Boots or Superdrug tomorrow.

extra water... lots and lots of water.  keep up the magnesium.

there are other things that are said to help with pms but i can't remember.  try the primrose oil, i've heard lots of people swear by it and it can't hurt.

have you always been dysphoric during pms?

penny

First off, god do I know what you mean about painfully tender breasts. It's like "Don't even think about hugging me!" Or if you do, make sure it's at arms length.

I second Greenyflower's Q: how old are you? Perimenopause can affect some women as early as in their 30s.

Re: pre-menstrual dysphoria, I don't know if my experience will help, but here it is. Around age 46-47, my usual week of bad PMS started to stretch out. I'd already been on Effexor for years, with no change in PMS, so that wasn't the cause of it. I think it was just my age.

Finally, when it got to the point where it wasn't just a week, it was now 3 weeks out of the month, I needed to do something. Since I was already at a high dose of Effexor (450 mg) my doctor didn't want to raise that. So she put me on birth control pills. It helped tremendously. I'd never been on the pill prior to that; had always used barrier methods of contraception (mostly the cervical cap), so at 47 this was the first time I'd used it. It really helped to smooth things out.

I can't say it helped with the breast tenderness. Besides what has already been mentioned, I'd add this: make sure you have a good well-fitted bra. And use a confortable stretchy one when you sleep. Holding the girls up where they should be helps.

thank you :)

I'll try and answer all your questions.

I'm 36. Oops, actually still 35, but will be 36 in 2 weeks, so I may as well be 36! ;)

I am always always dysphoric pre-menstrually....always have been....and very withdrawn and often verge on psychosis (mainly paranoia type). I've tried...everything.....nearly....my GP says my hormones are normal, that I'm just more sensitive to them, and that tallies with the work I'm doing in therapy.

Size wise I'm only a 32/34A, so there's not much to hold up...in fact, it feels way better without a bra, indoors and in bed. I buy cheap bras from Primark, and probably should splash out on something better.....I cannot bear anything underwired, so my choice is pretty limited.

I bought some high strength evening primrose oil capsules on my way home (1000 mg, can take up to 3 a day) I took one when I got home, and soon went to sleep...but that may have been more tiredness and PMS than the effect of the primrose oil! (though it would be nice if it were!) It has eased it a bit. I know that when my period comes it will ease...I'll just keep taking all the pills....(magnesium is 300mg).

Therapy tomorrow should help too...not having had it all last week means that there's a lot of blocked emotion ready to come out...

Size wise I'm only a 32/34A, so there's not much to hold up...in fact, it feels way better without a bra, indoors and in bed. I buy cheap bras from Primark, and probably should splash out on something better.....I cannot bear anything underwired, so my choice is pretty limited.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if you have boobies on the petite side (don't want to say "small") using a bra during the times when they are aching and tender might help. You might want to try on some different sports bras (they tend to be on the soft and comfortable side) or even check out some of the bras in the "body shapers" area of the lingerie/foundations department. The body shapers are super stretchy and smooth, so they shape and hold by their shear stretchiness and type of fabric, rather than any heavy duty construction.

Anyway, just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Since they've been messing around with my efexor dose, my hormones are seriously rebelling....

I used to have very tender, lumpy and painful tender breasts about a week or so before my period. But, since taking magnesium this hasn't been a problem.

Until the past 2 months.

This time has to be the worst.

Only people who have experienced it will know what I mean.

Add to that a general pre-menstrual dysphoria......(weepy eyes for no apparant reason)....

Any tips?

I've heard Evening Primrose Oil is good....

Spare me this pain.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buy some Aleve. Take 3. Drink a shitload of water so your stomach doesn't bleed. In about 45 minutes, your body will go numb and you may feel slightly euphoric (because the freakin pain will be GONE). Lasts for about 24 hours. Naproxim Sodium changed my life.

• 1 month later...

My breasts hurt like all fuck too. I'm 27 (almost 28), have had this issue since I was 11. At 11 I wore a 32A and now a 34C/D, and when I was heavier I wore a 36DD. The pain has always been the same, except in larger sizes my back hurt worse due to the weight of the breasts. I'm happier "flatter".

This will sound weird to some people but it works for me- I buy really nice, aromatherapy oil (like from Auracacia or JASON- good organic stuff, or from Neutrogena) and massage my breasts with it gently. My breasts are tender and lumpy, and get really hard and bloated before and during my period. I lie flat on my back and make motions as if I'm doing a breast exam on myself, but I massage the oil in and that really helps a lot for me. The aromatherapy of good oil helps my senses and the quality of the oil helps with moisturizing that delicate skin. It is good for you overall I think. I do it to my abdomen as well when I'm in pain.

I like using water on my breasts too. I sit in the steamy shower (for general period woes and my breasts too), stomach float in the pool in the summer, and wear those microfiber no-underwire yet strong and supportive bras.

I have a friend who liked the primrose oil but I've never tried it personally.

I also do mild exercise. I like yoga, walking, or slow jogging with a GREAT bra. Bike riding seems to tough on my chest muscles.

Best of luck with that. I know it sucks!

loon on the loose

thanks ;)

I'm getting it REALLY bad this month again....yes I've just come off efexor completely...here's hoping that efexor-free-ness means hormone heaven....!!!!

also, I didn't take my supplements for several days last week...and hell did I know it....

...and wear those microfiber no-underwire yet strong and supportive bras.

Hey, Loon...

I posted about bras here, but I'd be very interested to know which ones these are. Don't know if I've ever come across any that sound like this description. (Hmm...do you mean sports bras?) Any brands/models you can tell us?

I need a lot of support for the girls; we're always open to suggestions. ;)

Thanks!

revlow

Boy can I relate to this topic "Big Time". At one point they hurt so bad I was worried and went to the Doctor.

He told me I was taking in far to much caffeine. I slowed down but they still hurt.

I would have my boyfriend give me a really deep breast massage. It felt good!

Only one thing he could never finish the massage because he would get to excited. Ah! Men.

Anywho.....I upped my vitamin intake by a lot and it has seem to really help.

I hope I helped a little bit

Hi LatinGirl. what vitamins do you take?

I take magnesium, calcium and high strength evening primrose oil....but no vits....(and no man.....)

natural progesterone cream is another one - have a look at Sherrill Sellman Hormone Heresy - very confronting.

Archived