CrazyBoards.org

Depression & shyness getting worse

devon00,

I know just what you mean.  I sometimes wonder if it is worth worrying about, whether or not my depression and isolation have turned me into a social pariah. Tell me if you feel this way, a lot of the time I get bitter because I don't think it's fair that I should have to over-think all of my thoughts and feelings just because of my loneliness and isolation.  I had a girlfriend a year ago who told me "I don't know why you feel so out of place, you're a good person."  And that's the thing, your loneliness doesn't make you a bad person.  Most people can just relax and act normal and they normally fit in socially.  Why should you and I have to feel like our everyday thoughts are "unacceptable"?

I'm BP, so you'd probably expect me to say this (considering that many BPers are in love with the stuff), but I'd suggest you look into Lamictal. At least adding some Lamictal to your Celexa, or revisiting an SSRI that didn't initially work will help the drug work stronger.

an idea!

I'm BP, so you'd probably expect me to say this (considering that many BPers are in love with the stuff), but I'd suggest you look into Lamictal. At least adding some Lamictal to your Celexa, or revisiting an SSRI that didn't initially work will help the drug work stronger.

an idea!

I'm seconding Loon-A-Tik's idea....how about mood stabilizer (I've heard raves about Lamactil, but there are many others as well.)  I'm thinking of trying it myself.  I don't know if I'm BP or not. but who cares?  Maybe I have a type of BP that they haven't figured out how to diagnose yet....or maybe mood stabilizers work on other diagnoses as well.  I've seen MedLine research showing evidence of Lamactil's efficacy for major depression (unipolar.)

Also, how about an atypical antipsychotic, like Abilify or Geodon?  These are being used for non-psychotic conditions as well these days, and the side effect profiles are better than they used to be (YMMV.)

There are lots of options!

Another idea I've toyed with is that of going to a psych hospital for a while so my meds could get all tuned up in a controlled environment.  Of course, there are time and money issues here, but it's another option if others fail.

You're not out of options yet by a long shot...hang in there!

CeruleanBlue.

Hope you can find something to make you feel better.

I think therapy AND meds are the way to go.

Also, I think sexual problems, depending on what they are, may be worth putting up with if you're really depressed. But maybe I don't know what I'm talking about since the ones I had (and some I still have)were not what you'd expect. Plus, of course, there's that gender difference.

I think you may have to grit your teeth and arrange your life so that you "have to" interact with a certain number of people on a regular basis. Not all the time, tho.

Of course if you can feel better you're going to be able to do more. Yes, you probably can find a boyfriend and a better job if you become less unhappy and more confident.

Since you're depressed, you probably have a lot of automatic negative thoughts. Since you're alone a lot, you might find it helpful to dispute them, OUT LOUD. Yah, it's silly. But I've found it fairly helpful. Just another piece of the puzzle, tho, not a cure all. You know you have some social skills, since people think you are self confident. Tell yourself this. Also, tell yourself that if someone doesn't like you it's not the end of the world and that there are a few billion other possibilities for friends. Or maybe they are just having a bad day.

I think Lamictal is usually weight neutral and I haven't heard anything about sexual s/e. 

My mom (bipolar) seems to really like it.

I agree with the others here... If the traditional options aren't working out then a different path might be a good idea.  Of course it all depends on how conservative or not your pdoc is.  But yeah if a med really makes you gain 60 pounds that's not something you should have to put up with.

I think there are a lot of people here that relate to your posts.  I'm in my 20s as well and feel the same pressure that you do to make a good, happy life for myself, but am frequently held back by depression and fear of rejection.  Hell, I was *crippled* by depression and social phobia for about two years, unable to hold a job or do much of anything productive.  I was seriously convinced that the only solution to my mounting problems was death.  If I can come all the way back from that then I think you can get better too.

Archived