CrazyBoards.org

An interesting instruction on my benzo use

Hi guys,

I had a long session with my p-doc on Wednesday (around 1.5 hrs).

We did some deep psychotherapy, and came up with the conclusion that:

- my diagnosis of OCD, Psychotic MDD, and Panic Disorder is varied

- I probably have some kind of psychotic disorder interacting with my OCD and anxiety, and causing it - ie the voices in my head are the root cause of my problem

- valium doesnt seem to work for me anymore - its ok for a panic attack but isnt helping with my general anxiety and sufferring (I am prescribed 20mg 4x per week). I dont have any real benzo tolerance anymore either.

- we are upping my seroquel from 900mg --> 1200mg -->1500mg with the expectation that it will work really well

- if it doesnt he is going augment my seroquel with something like risperdal

He said I dont fully have schizophrenia, but my case of OCD and psychosis borders it and is best treated with AP's not benzos. Im allowed benzos still but they are not part of my primary drug therapy.

Maybe a longer-acting benzo like Klonopin? Tried that? Should prevent panic attacks and maybe even handle your everyday anxiety. Maybe.

Diazepam (valium) is pretty much as long acting as klonopin - its not quite as pronounced though and whilst it has a longer elimination half life its therapeutic half life is shorter.  They are much the same in many ways.

Klono is stronger, but p-doc feels that seroquel is far safer and more appropriate than daily dosing of a benzo, due to the long term tolerance and dependence issues which require you to up the dose gradually over time.  Also klono seems to be really unpopular here in Australia - its often only prescribed as an anti-convulsant and unapproved for anxiety.

Not to mention benzo withdrawal - ive been through that on xanax and it was a nightmare.  Klono is meant to be the second worst to come off, which is another reason i prefer valium.

Something else thats interesting.  Since ive been on the higher dose of seroquel, my valium works better.  20mg used to just take the edge off the anxiety and relieve panic attacks, whereas now 10mg seems to do the same thing.  So that feels like a personal victory ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe a longer-acting benzo like Klonopin? Tried that? Should prevent panic attacks and maybe even handle your everyday anxiety. Maybe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to mention benzo withdrawal - ive been through that on xanax and it was a nightmare.  Klono is meant to be the second worst to come off, which is another reason i prefer valium.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, been there. It sucks.

How's the Seroquel working?

Yeah, been there. It sucks.

How's the Seroquel working?

Hi Helena. The seroquel is working well, but I am switching to abilify due to the weight gain.

Archived