CrazyBoards.org

schizotypal personality disorder...

What exactly could "magical thinking" include??  Thinking other people have the ability to see you when you are alone?....and see what you are feeling? Feeling like you are in a movie?  Thinking everyone has ESP with you?  What about everyone following you??  How bout the believe in ghosts and the supernatural???

Just trying to sort out my MI stuff from my non-MI stuff.......

Magical thinking is holding unrealistic cause and effect beliefs.

Some examples:

- Believing you caused someones death because the last words you said to them were "I wish you were dead".

- The OCD'er who has to touch the door knob 8 times before leaving to keep out burglars.

- Avoiding stepping on sidewalk cracks to keep from breaking mother's back.

- Wearing a lucky shirt for sporting event.

- Discontinuing all meds because you think that you can keep your illness under control through will power, despite previous failed attempts.

- Believing that if you think about your friend very hard she will call on the telephone.

I'm running out of good examples.  I know my Pdoc has called me short on things I stated, which were not true.  They were magical thinking about unrealistic outcomes.    Children have magical thinking because they don't know how the world works.  As they get older and learn more, and understand cause and effect they stop using magical thinking. My understanding is that magical thinking is more common in mentally ill, especially in depression and OCD. It can serve as a crutch or comforter, but when it becomes excessive or interferes with living then it is not helpful.

A.M.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_ZacharyOdette_*

Strange you pointed out the thing about people being able to see you when you're alone.  I think I might be schizotypal and I had that symptom real bad growing up.  It's a little more under control now though thanks to meds.

Strange you pointed out the thing about people being able to see you when you're alone.  I think I might be schizotypal and I had that symptom real bad growing up.  It's a little more under control now though thanks to meds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too.  I always think others can see me, no matter what I'm doing.  It's quite hindering, because I always feel judged by others even though I have the notion that they don't really see me at all....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived