CrazyBoards.org

Lithium+Lamictal Success

Lately, I've been having a terrible mixed episode. The 200mg Lamictal and 150 Wellbutrin aren't holding me in, and the BP is breaking through.

The combo of Lithium and Lamictal kept me solid. The problem is that the first time I took Lithium, I started losing hair like crazy. The second time, I became dumb and dumber than a door nail.

My new pdoc said the old ones sucked because they didn't do my blood work, and that those side effects could have been from a Lithium overdose. I'm a bit afraid to try it again, being that I already feel like I'm stupid and have a job that requires maximum brain power (at least what I have, lol), and can't afford to be dumb and dumber again.

Do you think the idea of Li overdose causing those symptoms could be correct? If it were you, would it be Deal or No Deal? Would you do it if you know it would put the smack down on a vicious mixed state?

mixed up loon

They didn't do your blood work?!  Oy.

I'd do it.  The cognitive effects of lithium are dose-dependent.  Now that I'm down around a blood level of .5, I'm not at all stupid.  I did feel slowed down at 1.0.

Good luck,

sg

(Lithium 900, Lamictal 67.5 and rising, Abilify 15)

hi loon,

i think you saw my plea for help regarding the hair issue. i've begun the vitamin regime (b complex, biotin, E w/selenium), and who knows, maybe it would work for you too. i just started so it's too soon to tell, but on its own, my hair loss slowed down. maybe cuz the vulnerable follicles already got weeded out (pun intended).

if you're out of options, yeah, go for it with blood tests this time.

good luck,

I was on Lithium (blood level .5) and felt stable on that for months. Then things started to go downhill again (seems to be the story of my life) and my pdoc added Lamictal. I felt pretty good on that combo.

Then we decided to stop Lithium since I gained 10 kgs in four months. And I've found that Lamictal does nothing by itself. Thankfully I have other meds that do the job.

But from what I've heard, this is a good combo. But be sure to do your bloodwork. That's really important.

Btw, are you back to working again? Glad to hear that.

I'm going to the pdoc on the 13th and I'm going to ask her what my options are. I like Lamictal but it isn't holding back the mixed state, as I said. Mixed states are the worst and are my most common mood state.

Archived