CrazyBoards.org

disclaimer:

i am very aware of the "HOLY HOLOCAUST DO NOT DRINK WITH YOUR MEDS" mentality that is pervasive in the so-called mental health community.

so don't pull that on me.

---

moving on,

i've drunk [heavily] while on just about every drug known to man, except depakote.

i started taking it for the first time recently and i want to know if it interacts particularly badly with alcohol. my suspicion is that it doesn't, like most drugs (save downers - benzos, neuroleptics, hypnotics etc.), regardless of what the mental health police might have to say in their small-minded propaganda.

so what have you? bad experiences? good ones?

I drank while I was on Depakote, and fairly heavily for a few of those weeks -- probably not long enough to see if my liver would fry.  I thought I was fine, and then a few weeks later I wanted to kill myself again.  Alcohol + me = cycling (on all sorts of meds).  YMMV.

Yeah...I get drunk on a few glasses of wine...not like drunk...yay happy drunk...but ...Im seeing 3 of everything drunk...then I come home and feel a little nauseuous if I over do it. I dont drink all that often, but the times I have have...a few times, Ive been very moody the next day. If I decide to drink, I dont drink hard liquor at all (Im also on 2 other AC's anyway) and I only have a little wine.

• 2 years later...
Guest Kote Ma Booze

I used to drink like a crazy mofo and Depakote seemed to keep me drunker longer. It was awesome. I saved a ton of money on booze by taking a swig with my happy pills. I loved it. Unfortunately, I was arrested for running around Fargo wearing nothing but a thong and an mask for some local band's stunt under the influence of this crazy combo. I never really had the bad effects of the rapid cycling or crashing, but I am guessing that was because I was pretty chronic about it.

Ironically enough, I actually continued to take Depakote in order to quit drinking. It worked like freaking magic, because I was stuck in this marvelous and perpetual drunken stupor without the stinky alcoholic smell. Unfortunately, I needed to hold a long-term job and quit my gutterpunk ways, so I had to quit Depakote too. Unless you're anorexic (which I was,) you'll become a fat bastard on Depakote. It did make my liver hurt and my periods were awful beyond words.

I really miss the combo, but it's no good if you need to hold a job or be respectable. 'Twas a blast while it lasted.

Out of all the meds that I have been on, Depakote is the one that I was told to absolutely not mix with alcohol. Sure, I was told not to drink on the others, but that was more due to the destabilizing effect (except in the case of Seroquel which was the 'just stop breathing affect'). For Depakote, it was an absolute no-go due to the liver thing. Really not a good idea if you want to hang onto your liver.

And btw I'm not holier than though, I did try a drink on Depakote (like many of us I need to prove things for myself). I got very drunk, then sick, then hungover. I have abused my liver over the years and I don't think it could cope with the double toxin load.

Archived