CrazyBoards.org

My shrink is not billing me

I've been going to the same doctor since November and I have yet to receive a bill or an explanation of benefits from the insurance company. I've mentioned this twice to my doctor and he said he'd check into it (he does his own billing).

I would be freaked out about getting a huge bill, but I know for certain my insurance will cover his services 100% up to 60 visits/year.

I do have this freaky fear/fantasy that he's not going to charge me because he's secretly got a "thing" for me and is waiting till I'm better to act on it---and if he doesn't charge for his services, his conscience will be clearer. Of course, he knows almost everything about me, including the fact that I'm not happily married.

I know this is totally crazy---but his not billing me is perpetuating this fantasy. I checked to see if he was ever disciplined by the state board of professional regulations, and he has not. I am sure he is an extremely ethical person---he has never even touched me, not even shaken my hand.

Should I keep bugging him to bill me? I'd rather not tell him about my fear/fantasy, but maybe I could say it makes me uncomfortable.

dianebea

Definitely tell him it's making you uncomfortable and that you will feel far more secure/less anxious once the proper paperwork has all been submitted.  Let him know this weird in-between situation is bothering you.  He should remedy it quickly. 

My tdoc isn't billing me, either, but I think he's just hoping/waiting for me to get a new job.  ;)

It is a bit disturbing. Part of the framework for setting up an atmosphere of trust is to know what is expected of you and what is expected of your therapist. Nonjudgmental active listening, having a set time for sessions, punctuality on both your parts, a set fee and payment plan... all these are parts of a whole that is supposed to help you feel safe in the therapeutic environment. Ask him what gives. It's hard to give yourself to the therapeutic process when you're worried about possible ulterior motives of your therapist. He oughta know better.

Greeny

Green flower makes a great point. The payment schedule and fee's are something that should have been established at the first session and followed in order to prevent problems like the one you are dealing with now.

Dianebea, You could either call or wait until your next appointment but I would ask your therapist if he's had a chance to check into your billing problem yet. Tell him your uncomfortable not knowing the status of it and then ask him how does he normally handle his billing practices so you don't have to worry in the future. Even when I used insurance I never recived an actual bill from my therapist or any kind of balance info from my insurance company. I would just pay the co pay after each appt. and he'd write out a reciept. Now that he no longer takes my insurance I just pay cash (reduced fee) and he gives me a receipt.

I have an appt this afternoon and I'll ask him again. He has told me he can be disorganized---and I can tell by the pile of journals on his office floor.

Maybe he's uncomfortable taking money and/or talking about it. During one appt, I noticed he had a letter from my insurance company about my hospital admission and insurance coverage. When he saw that I was looking at it, he hid it in my folder.

db

Archived