CrazyBoards.org

Why is getting help near impossible?

Why does it seem impossible to get any real help in this country (Canada)?  I can see my GP, get different prescriptions, discuss possible dx's which my GP usually agrees with, but never any real assessment.  I'm not dissing my doctor.  I love her.

When we thought GAD and panic, I was referred for CBT at a gov't anxiety clinic.  Still on the waiting list, since last summer.  At one point they called and said it would likely be even longer.

Now it looks like I am bipolar with rapid cycling and mixed states.  I saw another doctor because mine is away for several months.  He agreed.  Upped my Effexor because I was depressed at the time, suggested when my doctor returns I need to be referred to a pdoc and probably go on lithium.

Too much Effexor, so I dropped it myself and I'm still rapid cycling, mixed fucking states, unpredictable.  I can't tell you how I will feel this afternoon, let alone tomorrow.  I can't trust myself.  I'm so unstable. 

I have suicidal thoughts but would never, ever attempt suicide.  Therefore I am not a priority.  I can't go to the ER, there is no rush for anyone to see me, dx doesn't really matter, I can sit on waiting lists forever as I slowly deteriorate. 

All I can do is take a little extra seroquel or pop a valium from my secret stash and wait and wait for the help that never seems to come, while maintaining this facade of functionality (especially at work) seems more and more impossible.

I have been on websites for every mental health facility in this city and there are no emergency services, just long fucking waiting lists with doctor's referral.

I had a friend tell me I am not trying to get help.  It felt like a slap in the face. 

I WANT HELP!!!!!  WHERE THE FUCK IS IT???????  My doctor is still on vacation for another month.

No need to comment unless you know how the hell to get help in Toronto, Ontario.

Thanks for listening to my rant though.

Dee

Have you ever had an episode of psychosis?

If so call the first episode clinic at CAMH (416) 535-8501, ext. 6528. They should be able to see you within two weeks and may be able to facilitate a quick referral to a mood disorders clinic. They also have an emergency clinic.

As for a good pdoc, IMHO, Roger McIntyre at Western is at the top of the list.

No, I don't think so.  That's the problem.  Unless you count slight delusions of grandeur when manic (but who needs help when you are wonderwoman?).  From my understanding if I am not ready to harm myself or others I don't qualify for emergency services. 

Is Dr. McIntyre at Western only for emergencies or can you see him as an outpatient?  I can ask my doctor to refer me to him if he is taking new patients.  When my GP gets back I am going to stress that I just cannot wait, that I feel myself getting worse, I'm missing too much work and I want help BEFORE I have to be hospitalized.

Meanwhile, if I get into a bad rnough mixed state, maybe I will try the mood disorder's emergency clinic and see if they will see me sooner.

Thanks for the advice Glen.

Dee

Glen,

You rock!  Dr McIntyre emailed me back today and said he would be happy to have me in his program and that his secretary will be sending me the referral forms.  I read some of the abstracts from his publications and wow, he's the guy I want writing my scripts!  He actually publishes prescribing guidelines for other doctors.  I'm impressed. 

I havent heard bac from Dr. Sagar yet, but hopefully I will.

So if I am understanding correctly Dr McIntyre would be the guy to see for drug assessment and Sagar for diagnoses?  I'm not really sure how it works.  Would I see them both only once or on-going?

Sorry to bug you with so many questions Glen but you've been really helpful and knowledgeable.

Dee

Heya Dee,

Yay!

I just came back on CB and saw the interchange you guys had about McIntyre.

He rocks.

You'll benefit for sure, as will he for having you in his program.

(When you see him -- is it my imagination or does he come off hypomanic?)

Good for you.

And him, really.

;)

--ncc--

(When you see him -- is it my imagination or does he come off hypomanic?)

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha, I thought more ADD/HD.

Just joking. You must make sure you load up on caffeine before seeing him, so you are able to keep up. BTW he looks more like a football player than a neuropharmacologist.

Heya,

Football, yeah.  Maybe rugby.  B/c of the freckles.

BTW at one educational dinner (about Lamictal in bipolar) someone asked him if he was a bit manic.  He said he knew he looked hypomanic.

Course we were all drinking free wine at the time.

(No such thing as a free lunch?  Ask me.  :) )

As a resident in family practice, he taught me/us a whole hell of a lot about bipolar in family practice (seeing as how he was instrumental in making up the guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of BP in FP).

At any rate he's one of the demigods of psychiatry to us family docs.

(Please tell me what he says.)

;)

--ncc--

(  :embarassed: that looks bad but my therapy is about honesty ... )

Funny, because I lived in Halifax way back when I was attending university and he totally reminds me of the typical SMU jock types, football player, frosh week, panty raids, etc.

Hee hee, hopefully I click with him better than I did with the jocks. ;)

I was the angry goth/punk girl they made fun of, lol.

Archived