CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
rowan77

How quickly did your antidepressant cause you to have manic symptoms??

So I was manic for 8 weeks. I am now severely depressed and my pdoc took me of fluoxetine  when i was manic, but now she has put me back on fluoxetine 20 mg. I'm worried I will become manic again. I had a very bad manic episode this time and don't want a reccurance. 

If you became manic on an antidepressant how long did it take for you to become manic. Was it gradual or sudden? I wonder could I recognize symptoms quickly and go off it.

For me I don't think that ADs are necessarily activating.  I had tried several over the course of over a year without experiencing hypomania.  Then springtime hit and I started having hypomanic episodes of 4-5 days each.  I've had three so far since the first one about four months ago.  So far since coming up to a therapeutic dose of lamictal I haven't been hypomanic but it hasn't been long enough for me to really know if it's effective.  There have been a couple times I thought I was about to go into hypomania but I didn't.

I wonder if ADs are more activating for BPI sufferers?

3 hours ago, patents said:

For me I don't think that ADs are necessarily activating.  I had tried several over the course of over a year without experiencing hypomania.  Then springtime hit and I started having hypomanic episodes of 4-5 days each.  I've had three so far since the first one about four months ago.  So far since coming up to a therapeutic dose of lamictal I haven't been hypomanic but it hasn't been long enough for me to really know if it's effective.  There have been a couple times I thought I was about to go into hypomania but I didn't.

I wonder if ADs are more activating for BPI sufferers?

Yeah I think they can be 

I was on many ADs when diagnosed with MDD and didn’t get severely manic but cymbalta put me into a manic state that lasted months and led to a bipolar diagnosis. I kept going up on the dose and when it got to the final point it was fairly soon, within weeks I think, but not like flipping a light switch. Then I had to wean off so I was on even longer. Yeah it fixed that depression alright. Led me to near bankruptcy and very risky behavior for long enough to label me BP1. I’d be afraid to take ADs again after that, afraid it could be worse next time. Fortunately current meds are working. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Skeletor
      Both are second-generation SSRIs, both exhibit minimal drug interactions via Cytochrome P450, both are the most prescribed SSRIs and are considered first line antidepressants. Who's been taking both and what were your experiences? (How did they compare to each other?). I am looking forward to read your experiences...
      Which one did you like more?
    • By Skeletor
      Why do strong SRIs (serotonin reuptake inhibitors) often cause / induce apathy, indifference and laziness? Maybe not in everyone, but it's one of the most common complaints. I regularly read about it on the internet. I myself was affected by it.
      My questions would be:
      1.) What causes it?
      2.) Were you affected?
      3.) Did you successfully get rid of these specific side effects? If so, how so?
      4.) Further comments regarding that "phenomenon"?
    • By browri
      It's a thing! Allergan submitted data from 3 trials. Two demonstrated that 1.5mg was superior to placebo in treating bipolar depression, and the other study demonstrated that both 1.5mg and 3mg were capable doses. Therefore, the acute manic/mixed indication and dosing will remain the same with an initial dose of 1.5mg and recommended dose range of 3-6mg. Whereas bipolar depression will be a starting dose of 1.5mg with a recommended range of 1.5-3mg.
      This is a big step because now cariprazine joins both quetiapine and lurasidone as being the only 3 medications approved to treat bipolar depression specifically. Lamotrigine is often used but it's only approved to delay the time between episodes (manic/mixed or depressed).
    • By mikl_pls
      Here's a little poll I put together about the efficacy of antipsychotics for others to vote on. It's my first poll so bear with me if it's screwy.
      I just figured it might be neat to see if we could get some anecdotal data among this community.
      You can vote on more than one, but try not to vote on like, every single one... lol.
      Thanks!
    • By Glatoss
      My brief period (6 months) on Sertraline has been that it sapped my creativity and basically made me not want to do anything, not feel anything. I just sit at the computer and watch videos and occasionally walk around, or eat, or go to the bathroom. I just don't have any drive to really do very much of anything, except what is needed for continued survival. I don’t even want to watch movies and series!
      Is that normal?