CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
mikl_pls

"Pseudo-drug holiday?" Alternating dosages of Dexedrine?

I somehow ran out of Dexedrine before my next prescription was labeled to be able to be filled this past weekend... Don't know how. I never abuse my stimulants. I take them as prescribed, religiously and meticulously, dispensed in my pill planner every week. I have heretofore never taken "drug holidays" though. So anyway, this forced me to take a one-day drug holiday from my usual 60 mg/day Dexedrine, and I can say that it was absolutely dreadful. 

I'm taking it mainly for ADHD-PI, but also for treatment resistant bipolar depression and hypersomnia unspecified, as well as to assist with weight loss. Just one day without, and I slept practically all day, and when I wasn't asleep, I was either a weeping, ugly-crying mess, or I was binge eating. I gained 3 lb the next day, which I know isn't a whole bunch, but, you know... I'm pretty sensitive about weight gain.

I filled my Dexedrine a day later than the day was indicated so as to not look like I was "looking for a fix..." especially since I'm trying to get a job at the pharmacy at which I fill my prescriptions, start back on my Dexedrine, and two days later (today), I am feeling better than I've felt in about in month or so (before I switched to Rexulti and ruined everything good I had going for me). I felt like I did right when I switched from 40 mg to 60 mg, my mood was shining and gleaming, I was talkative and laughing, I wanted to do things and wanted to go out of the house, I didn't want to eat everything in sight. TL;DR: I was back to my normal self +1.

My question is, would there be some advantage to taking some sort of "pseudo-drug holiday" wherein I sort of alternate between 30 mg and 60 mg each day, or take 30 mg on the weekends and 60 mg during the week days or something like that? Or no? Has anyone tried this sort of regimen? I don't want to NOT take my Dexedrine, that was pretty damn terrible the day I went without it. I guess it does show how dependent I am on it though... :( But any input would be appreciated.

Edited by mikl_pls
Left out a small phrase within a sentence

I kno it works for some people. I kno people at my school who take less on non class days or back off during vacations 

I think you need to remain on enough for your stim to be functionable. Totally not taking your med, with your symptoms crashing back or you experiencing fatigue and depression every other day or all weekend is torture to me.

I find that the amount of amphetamine I need varies day to day so my pdoc has given me the OK to dose as I like, the directions on the bottle (30 mg tabs) say "Take 3 tablets every day" so I am free to take up to 90 mg a day. I can take all of it (90 mg) at once though those days are few. Sometimes I take 60 mg in the morning because I just can't wake up and on those days and other days where I know I will be busy later in the day I tailor my dosing to match that. I find that this flexible dosing results in taking less amphetamine, and therefore having less tolerance. 

My doctor says he is comfortable raising my dose until I get psychotic and then we will know how much is too much.

Edited by notloki
added "My doctor says......."
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, notloki said:

I think you need to remain on enough for your stim to be functionable. Totally not taking your med, with your symptoms crashing back or you experiencing fatigue and depression every other day or all weekend is torture to me.

I find that the amount of amphetamine I need varies day to day so my pdoc has given me the OK to dose as I like, the directions on the bottle (30 mg tabs) say "Take 3 tablets every day" so I am free to take up to 90 mg a day. I can take all of it (90 mg) at once though those days are few. Sometimes I take 60 mg in the morning because I just can't wake up and on those days and other days where I know I will be busy later in the day I tailor my dosing to match that. I find that this flexible dosing results in taking less amphetamine, and therefore having less tolerance. 

My doctor says he is comfortable raising my dose until I get psychotic and then we will know how much is too much.

I see... Sounds like your pdoc knows how to prescribe stimulants. Much more so than mine...

I think my pdoc is way, way, way concerned about the cardiovascular side effects of stimulants, which is why she just stopped prescribing me stimulants altogether, and why she is now restricting my antidepressant doses (yeah... yet she's pushing my antipsychotic dose).

So as I've said before, I have had to go to my NP for my stimulant. I think my gdoc has physician burnout because he literally brushes me away for anything psychiatric. I'm not the only one whose said that either.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mikl_pls
      I am taking stimulants for numerous reasons--primarily for ADHD and idiopathic hypersomnia, but also because I'm obese and trying to lose weight (with diet and exercise of course) and because amphetamines heretofore have been the only thing that really make me a functioning human being.
      I was curious though. From y'all's experience, which stimulant inhibited appetite and/or caused more weight loss, that is, between Ritalin (and all their products), Focalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, or some other stimulant. I have actually even taken Desoxyn, twice, and to be honest, it's nowhere near as potent as Adderall or Dexedrine.
      To my understanding, appetite inhibition can be extricable from weight loss; i.e., one can lose weight from a medicine without experiencing much appetite suppression, one can experience drug-induced anorexia without losing much weight, or both at the same time, or neither.
      IME, so far, this is what I've experienced... I'll list the stimulant/anorectic and max dose taken.
      Appetite suppression/anorexia:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL (450-500 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Desoxyn (15 mg) Vyvanse (70 mg) Adzenys XR-ODT Metadate CD (20 mg) Ritalin (30 mg) Focalin XR (25 mg) Evekeo (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg) Tenuate Dospan (75 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg) Weight loss:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg), Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL Desoxyn (15 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Metadate CD (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg), Evekeo (20 mg), Focalin XR (25 mg), Ritalin (30 mg), Vyvanse (70 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg), Tenuate Dospan (75 mg), Adzenys XR-ODT So I've not tried very high doses of the (dex)methylphenidate meds, and have been curious about trying a higher dose (40-60 mg, maybe higher). Focalin might be okay, but it gave me tremors, anxiety, and panic attacks at 25 mg. Vyvanse did nothing much at all except jack my resting heart rate up to 120+ BPM.
      This list was very hard to compile, and I don't really know if it's too accurate.
      I'm heavily considering trying methylphenidate again, specifically Metadate CD, because I actually felt something on it as opposed to regular Ritalin. I was considering asking my NP for a Metadate CD dose of 30-60 mg, or maybe 30 mg x2 or something like that, with some Ritalin 5-10 mg, maybe 20 mg, to take 1/2-1 up to three times per day prn.
      The tried and true med is Dexedrine for me, specifically the IR, but I want to give that a break for a little while.
      I'm curious to see how (dex)methylphenidate affects my ADHD more than it affects my weight loss/appetite suppression as well.
      I know this post was rather scattered and long, but if you made it through it, any input would be much appreciated!  
    • By saoirse
      My pdoc was hesitant to put me on a moderate/high dose of a stimulant because he knows they've made me manic before, so he put me on 5 mg of Dex 2x a day. I went online to all of those drug forums (first things that popped up in the google search) and the people there basically said that 5 mg isn't worth anything and won't do a thing.
      However, I took 10 mg in the early afternoon and I'm still wide awake at almost 12:30 so maybe they're wrong? (I took 10 mg because I have to cut the 10 mg pills and I didn't know where the pill cutter was at the time.. long story. From now on I'm only taking 5 mg at a time, found the pill cutter--) 10 mg feels very powerful whereas the people on those websites said it might make you feel mildly high or something. I feel more than mildly high-- I feel euphoric and highly energized. 
      So is 5 mg a worthwhile dosage after all? If 10 mg keeps me awake long into the night, surely 5 mg will do SOMETHING, right? 
    • By mmaryland
      Hey all,
      I have been experiencing some anhedonia lately and just not experiencing feelings much at all in general. I feel like I don't want to talk to as many people or interact like I usually would. There's is't much pleasure in doing the things I usually do, and simple things like showering or going downstairs to get my mail are difficult to get the motivation to do it. I don't think I am depressed because I'm not feeling sad or unhappy, I am more just suffering from lack of ability to derive pleasure from things that once gave me pleasure and a general lack of emotions. 
      I notice the anhedonia is especially noticeable when I am on my ADHD medications and it really sucks. Given the other medications I am on, it could easily be due to one of the other medications or a combination. Does anyone else experience lack of emotions and/or anhedonia when they are on their ADHD medications? What about when you are off them/you have 'come down' from the drug. I can feel my emotions, they just seem heavily suppressed. I can feel happy, sad, excited, but to a small degree compared to before, I guess the beginning of the year. You can see the rest of my medications in my signature if you want to comment on any of those in relation to this.