CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
CrazySoprano

8 days into 0.5 mg of Rexulti and I've gained 7 lbs...

Mods, please feel free to move this if it's not the right place or if another place would give it better visibility.

Hello!

I've been away for quite some time, but here's a quick summary of my crazy:

I have major depressive disorder, dysthymia, and generalized anxiety disorder.  I've been in remission for about 10 years but had a relapse recently after two very sad overseas funerals, a visit to my parents (Dad has Alzheimer's, parents underwater on their mortgage, Mom probably has some undiagnosed mental health issue but refuses to seek treatment), and yet another close friend having a baby (husband doesn't want one, I do, we're working through it but it's pretty upsetting for me).

This ain't my first rodeo, so I did all the things we're supposed to do.  Went to my pdoc (had to get a new one because the old one didn't take HIPPA seriously enough for me), got a new tdoc, joined a new gym that's at the local hospital and includes nurse evals and sessions with a personal trainer every 6 weeks, found a dietitian, started doing more meditation, etc.

Meds going into this: 150 mg Wellbutrin XL, 5 mg Lexapro, 18 mg Concerta PRN, .5 mg Ativan PRN, Seasonale (awesome birth control pill where I get 4 periods a year)

Pdoc had me stop the Concerta, increase Wellbutrin to 300 mg, and add Rexulti.  I'm supposed to do 2 weeks at .5 mg (done one so far) and increase to 1 mg after that, come back in a month.

First 3 days of Rexulti I was incredibly sleepy.  I hoped that that would be a temporary side effect, and it was.  At this point, 1 week into the .5 mg of Rexulti, I am neither anxious nor depressed, but I weigh more than I ever have in my life and my clothes no longer fit.  Guys, I can't afford a new wardrobe.  I started this journey with a goal of losing 15-20 lbs.  Now, with the same goal weight, I have to lose 25-30 lbs.

I'm not overeating.  I'm doing everything the dietitian suggested.  I'm doing 40 min. of cardio 3-7 days a week. The depression kept me away from the gym for a while, but I'm getting back into it.

I'm going to try to get in to see the pdoc again next week, even though I'm supposed to wait until next month.  I'm really hoping that the weight gain will be temporary, but I have a sinking suspicion that it won't be.  I don't really want to stop the Rexulti because I feel better than I have in a long time, even before the most recent depressive episode, but I also really want to be at a healthy weight and be able to wear my clothes.

So, what do I ask?  Would increasing the Wellbutrin balance the weight gain effects of the Rexulti?  Would a weight loss medication help?  I had another pdoc suggest something like that when I was gaining weight on Prozac, but I ended up switching to another SSRI instead.

Thanks in advance!  Here's a picture of my puppy having an existential crisis:

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 23.33.52.png

Making all those changes at one time really muddies the waters. It could be a combo of adding rexulti (+ appetite and + weight) and dropping Concerta (lowers appetite). What about the lexapro? That's a low dose do u think bumping it would open up more options? Also, I kno one weight pill that actually uses bupropion, so idk that is causing the weight issue 

@Iceberg is right. Might want to give it a chance to balance out. I personally didn't gain that much weight that fast on Rexulti. It could cause weight gain but after Wellbutrin ramps up to steady state again, it may offset that a bit. All-in-all those two changes seem to make sense to me to super-charge your existing cocktail instead of overhauling the whole thing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By AbilifyedBunny
      Hello crazyboards,
      I wanted some feedback on the difference between typicals and atypicals...specifically Abilify versus Prolixin.
      I have been taking Abilify for years which means I have had to live with sh**y side effects for a while now.  I got to the point where I could no longer tolerate the side effects so I decided it was time for another med change.  Also, I finally realized that the Abilify could be a contributing factor to my weight problem.  
      My doctor suggested Prolixin and I agreed to try it.  I remember being on Prolixin for a short period of time in the past and I don't recall any awful or intolerable side effects.  The reason I quit the drug was an entirely different story all together which had nothing to do with the medication its self.
      I have been struggling to find the right medication for years.  I tried just about every option available to me with my previous psychiatrist.  The trouble is that the meds work but they all cause intolerable side effects.  Even the medications used to counter those side effects, have their own awful side effects.  Both my previous and current psychiatrist recommended trying the older "typical" antipsychotics at low doses.  Both of them said that their patients experienced less side effects on those medications at low doses, than with the atypicals.  Since I am already on a very low dose of Abilify anyway, I figured it was a perfect fit.
      I wanted to know if there are any marked differences between Abilify and Prolixin for the better or worse...in general and in terms of side effects.
      I had gotten used to the sh**y side effects of Abilify although some of them seem to have worsened or I have developed new ones over time.
      If this cocktail doesn't work, I am at the point where I am greatly considering going off of meds all together (safely by titrating down).  However, I don't really feel that being medication-free is an option for me.  Unfortunately, I am one of those people who seems to greatly benefit from medication and struggle without it.
      Ps. Another side note: I had to quit cannabis due to my medication which is a major bummer.  Ever since I started taking antipsychotics, years ago, cannabis began affecting me differently to the point where it wasn't worth it.  It began interacting with the meds and causing adverse effects as well as dulling the high. I am hoping this changes once I start taking typicals, seeing as they work a little bit differently.

• By browri
      For those taking Rexulti, I'm curious: Do you take your dose in the morning or at night?
    • By sming
      Hi folks,
      "merry holidays" (lol). So here's my current state of play. There are a lot of variables in play which is something I strive to avoid but then life (and things like not getting divorced or fired) get in the way:
      I'm tapering off of Wellbutrin XL. It's 6 days since my last 75mg XL dose (before you cry "it doesn't come in 75mg doses!" I was taking 300mg WB XL / 4. Not ideal, but such is life). I'm tapering off of Mirapex. I've been on 0.125mg since the 14th (10 days). I started L-Methylfolate at 10mg (perhaps foolishly - that's a high dose) on the 16th (8 days ago) on the basis that I might have MTHFR mutations. I am shortly getting MTHFR tests done. I started Rexulti 0.5mg 19th (5 days ago). This was reduced to 0.25mg on the 22nd (2 days ago. See below as to why).  In summary, a whole shitload of changes all happening in parallel which is exactly what I try to avoid but as I said, shit happens.
      So here's the real deal. For the last month at least I've been experiencing incapacitating anxiety. The kind that has you in the foetal position in bed, waves of anxiety radiating out from your gut/stomach to each limb. Physical weakness, shaking, incoherence, the works.
      Naughtily I'd previously ordered Valium online an less-naughtily I've got 0.5mg Ativan off of my PDoc. Neither touches the anxiety. This a.m. I tried 25mg Valium and 1mg Ativan and collectively they helped maybe 10%. I was still completely dysfunctional.
      The only thing I've found so far that helps substantially is 2+ large whiskies. Within 20 mins of taking them, I feel human, capable, anxiety-free and "alive". Not high or anything - just "human".
      Without context, that sounds terrible and the easy reply is "you are an alcoholic, go get treatment". But that's BS. Why? because:
      15 years ago I went 18 months dry and it didn't help at all. I was more depressed overall from missing out on all the social engagements. (I was like 25). In Feb I went inpatient where they declared my alcohol intake "the problem", made me abstain for 3+ months and guess what? it didn't help my depression at all I don't wake up crazying alcohol I don't want to drink alcohol I've taken many, many other med regimens where this incredible anxiety is not present e.g. SSRI's , TCA's, MAOI's. It seems something particular to either (or both Wellbutrin and Mirapex). As of tonight I'm dropping the Mirapex, even though it's a tiny dose and my PDoc wanted me to remain upon it. Tough shit.
      As of today I dropped my L-methylfolate intake from 10mg to 2.5mg since I've read that a long-term starvation of L-methylfolate (such as my postulated situation), followed by a "downpour" of l-methylfolate can make you feel even worse. So I'm toning that down.
      Finally, my questions:
      why is it that only the alcohol is relieving this incapacitating, incredible 10/10 strength anxiety? (and I have 20+ years of anxiety to know when anxiety is worth a 10/10 rating) am I exhibiting alcoholic tendencies? i.e. am I an alcoholic are my proposed actions (dropping L-methylfolate dose, stopping Mirapex, reducing  Rexulti dose) along the right tracks? any other advice? Curled up in bed throughout Christmas, in bed, with 2 young kids is killing me. Concurrently so is the prospect of requiring alcoholic rehab.
      Some subjective insight would be a golden Christmas present from you to me.
      Thank you, Pete
    • By l'appel du vide
      Hello everyone, I hope everyone's December has been off to a good start. I am back, on the med merry-go-round and also sober from opiates.... Again (16 days as of now).
      So I was taking wellbutrin as an add on to my Prozac, and it really didn't help and might have made me worse, losing dramatic amounts of weight, a lot of intrusive thoughts, very depressed (though that's probably just it not doing much for it. And getting off drugs.) so I'm now on the Rexulti starter pack.
      I'm here seeking others experiences with abilify and rexulti, since they are both dopamine partial agonists and 5-ht1a partial agonists, amongst other things. I'm very nervous about taking an antipsychotic for depression, though... And just want to know of other's experiences starting these medications. How were the side effects? If you had any, did they eventually go away? Did you gain weight?
      I appreciate anyone who shares their experience. I've asked about these meds before, but I'm so nervous about it I just want reassurance. A lot is changing around me. Thank you all so much, and I hope the holidays have been treating you well.
    • By abrooksIN
      I will try to keep this brief.  I was always depressed and my senior year of college (a year ago) I had a major psychotic break where I literally thought I was flying through the universe.  I was hospitalized in for two weeks, and I have been trying to fine tune my meds.  I am working closely with my Pdoc, but am getting very discouraged.  Any input would be appreciated.
      Lithium is what brought be out of my mania, and I have been on 900mg er every since.
      I have gone thru Latuda. Could only get to 60 mg.  I took with food, but still felt ill most of the time.
      Cannot take Lamictal due to headaches.
      Tried Vryalar and I felt like I was crawling out of my skin.
      I am now up to 4mg of Rexulti as of last weekend.  My Paranoia is the highest it has been since my hospitalization.  Saw my Pdoc Friday and he said too soon to tell on the increased dosage and I can go from 7. out of 10 to 3 out of 10 in a matter of minutes.  He added a small dose of Lexapro to help with my depression.
      Rexulti has been the best drug from a side effect profile.  If I could rid myself of the paranoia I would almost be normal.   
      Does anyone have any suggestions?  Really appreciate it.