CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Blahblah

Brain zaps (mild) not going away??!

Quick backstory, I was on Effexor (75mg-150mg) for only 7-8 months, my pdoc tapered me off very slowly (using Prozac as a bridge) over a period of about 5 weeks. I've been completely off both meds now for 2 months. I did not have major withdrawal symptoms (except light fatigue/dizziness) and yet I am STILL getting these intermittent (mild) brain zaps sensations and brain fog - usually in the afternoons/evening.

I am very worried that they will never go away... I have been taking many supplements (including Fish Oils, NAC, etc) for many months, exercising, eating healthy. How can i make them disappear for good?!

On 8/25/2018 at 6:16 AM, sbdivemaster said:

Don't know how to make them go away any quicker than time, but mine eventually went away.  Took about a year for the zaps to finally end and to feel "normal" again.  I did what you are doing - eat right, drink water, exercise, stay healthy.  Keep plugging, they should fade away.

A YEAR ??? Wholly crap!! Was it Effexor (what dose?) & how long were you on it?

I am becoming symptomatic with depression again, I'm afraid, and will probably have to go back on something. I'm considering Cymbalta due to the longer half-life (compared to Effexor)...Effexor seems to have the worst withdrawal syndromes :-( I am heartbroken, I was doing so well the last 2 months without it.

And A/Ds are definitely not an ideal fit (they make me flat, anhedonic, and completely asexual at the therapeutic dosage) and Lamictal alone is not cutting it!

Edited by Blahblah

Sorry you are experiencing this.  It's a phenomenon with this medication.  The brain zaps started to reduce in frequency by the 6th month and gradually left me a year later.  It has wicked withdrawals. Not sure why there is not a black box warning for this. 

Benzo's stop them cold for me, a big dose is not required. Some anticonvulsants, the ones that affect GABA may also stop them 

12 hours ago, Dewey said:

Sorry you are experiencing this.  It's a phenomenon with this medication.  The brain zaps started to reduce in frequency by the 6th month and gradually left me a year later.  It has wicked withdrawals. Not sure why there is not a black box warning for this. 

I've heard that Effexor is notorious for having some of the worst withdrawals. but wow...brain zaps for a year (and only after being on low dose of the med for less than a year)  - pretty awful. Did you have brain zaps from other psych meds? I'm amazed after reading your dx (and all of your health issues) how few psych meds you are on. That is pretty amazing.

11 hours ago, sbdivemaster said:

Yep, Effexor.  I was on 75mg for close to a year.  The year of zaps was during and after a s-l--o---w taper of many months (self-prescribed, seeing as that quack told me to cut to 37.5 for 2 weeks, then stop...  yeah, after 2 days I knew that wasn't going to work).  Like I said, it's just a matter of time. Hang in there.  So far, I haven't heard of anyone with zaps that became permanent.

Depression sucks so bad, sorry you're starting to descend again. Lamotrigine saved me.  I did great on 300 for many years, but over the last 5 or so, creeping depression symptoms led to a couple of bumps. I see you are only on 100, have you discussed an increase with your quack?  SSRI's do some funky stuff.  Tried any TCA's?

Throughout this year, I have had increasing, and very distracting, ruminating, intrusive thoughts, and suicidal thoughts.  I finally told this quack at the beginning of the summer;  he won't go above 400 on lamotrigine, so he added gabapentin.  I'm still titrating up, it's kind of working, but it's kind of like 3 steps ahead 1 step back.  So, I'm not sure how it will end up.

Again, hang in there.

Thanks @sbdivemaster Yes, I will first increase the Lamictal before adding an antidepressant. I was having blurry vision with higher doses of Lamotrigine and my eye doctor was sure that my dry eyes were also caused by the Lamictal, so I try to stay at lowest possible dose. But it just doesn't boost my depression enough.

As far as TCAs, I've tried Nortryptaline and it didn't do much that i recall. Other TCAs are known to cause more sedation/lethargy, which I am trying to avoid....also any meds that cause weight gain or metabolic disorders. It is such a tough balance to find the right med that really works, and doesn't cause more health problems down the road!!!

BlahBlah ~ I have taken myself off most of my psych meds.  The only thing I am on now is Klonopin.  Wanted to give my body a chance to dry out. However, tonight I started on Pamelor.  I will eventually add Abilify and Neurontin, but one at a time. 

Yes, it did take me a year to get over the brain zaps and occasionally I still get them, after all these years. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      It's only Day 2 with no Effexor. I was taking 37.5mg for months, and then added Prozac 10mg for over 2 weeks. Then pdoc told me this was plenty of buffer time to stop it....
      I'm feeling super tired, MAJOR irritability, no appetite, nausea, all over body aches, some brain zaps. I had really hoped that my ridiculously slow taper (with Prozac) would eliminate this....Now on total lockdown, this is not helping the situation or my relationship!
      I know people are just trying to help here (with telling me other med combos to try) but honestly, after 25 years and 30+ medications I have no hope of anything being much better than this. I wanted to stop Effexor because of the apathy & sexual dysfunction, but I guess I can't get away from these side effects.
      Should I try to just endure a few more days or should I write my pdoc already and go back to taking 37.5mg?   I am so upset....I just want to be off these poison meds, they only numb you to where you eventually don't enjoy anything or care about anything. Then you become completely dependent & f'd up trying to taper off.
    • By Blahblah
      Have a strong itch to drop Effexor...(I won't go cold turkey). It stopped my dysphoric crying spells, but now, 10 months later, I'm feeling increasingly flat, apathetic, numb, no motivation (even after dropping to 75mg). I hate how all A/Ds have this lobotomy effect on me longterm. It's initially fine in acute episodes, I'm not sad now, but I can't function properly, and I continue to score Moderate-Severe on the depression scale.
      I think it's counteracting my Ritalin (which I increased to 30-40mg)? I don't want to increase Effexor above 150mg, I'd never be able to go off.
      I'm trying dosing at night instead, will this make any difference @mikl_pls ? I skipped yesterday's morning dose (then came the intense nausea, over stimulation & brain slosh awfulness @10 hours later) and I took my dose with dinner.
      I'm seriously considering going on low-dose mild SSRI instead (Prozac?) I'm sensitive to meds & side effects, and I'm also VERY worried about withdrawals. Especially from Effexor, they are the WORST, and I just read study that Effexor withdrawal syndrome is not dose-dependent:
      https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7402189_Venlafaxine_and_Serious_Withdrawal_Symptoms_Warning_to_Drivers
      https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/24/woman-shares-coming-off-antidepressant-ruined-life-7255570/

• By Blahblah
      Forgot to take Lamictal yesterday (I took my other meds). Holy Hell, I took my dose today (on schedule) and I STILL feel awful!!  I've only been on 100mg....I thought Lamictal had a super-long half-life? Yesterday went like this:
      10am - up, had breakfast
      11am – slight Brain “swishes” started (was out the entire day)
      12pm – Stronger Brain zaps start
      1:30pm – Lunch (meat, salad/veg)
      2:30pm – Sudden extreme exhaustion
      4pm - more brain zaps =>  ZAP ZAP ZAP! 🤯
      7pm - Irritability starts
      11pm – Tea, bedtime, could not fall asleep (I haven't had insomnia in 2+ years)
      ...Night sweats…Restless legs.....
      12am – Ruminations, feel weepy
      ..Insomnia ensues…(Toss & turn, sweaty/achey all night)
      It's now 12pm,and I am STILL having brain zaps! I worry I’ll never be able ever taper, switch from, or withdraw from this med. You probably think well, with MI, WHY would you ever go off it? For me, longterm, these meds are band-aids. There is always a price.  Ok, maybe great at preventing acute/severe depression, but as a result, they rob me of any spark, joy, elation, happiness, libido, sexual sensation/response, feelings of reward, love.... This disturbs me. I used to know what positive emotions felt like…
      So I’m stable, existing.....but still lacking will or any interest in living....
    • By Blahblah
      Been on Effexor (again) 4 months. Went up to 225mg, but the lethargy and apathy was getting worse, along with excessive sweating. I'm typically someone that runs more cold (usually takes a lot for me to sweat at all!) So this is upsetting. I've started working out everyday and after the warm-up, sweat is pouring down my face & neck. Sweat towel makes no difference. I get out of class and it looks like I just stepped out of shower.
      At moment I'm on 112mg and this sweating persists. Would going down to 75mg be better?? Anyone recommend something with the least amount of side effects (especially no weight gain or lethargy) I'm thinking maybe just screw it, and going on something easy/basic like low-dose Prozac (also makes me sort of apathetic, guess I can't escape that)
      I cannot take Glycopyrrolate (anticholinergic drug that reduces saliva, sweating, etc) because it worsens my severe dry eye syndrome & blurry vision. Lamictal + Ritalin have been moderately helpful (for stabilization, slight motivation) but I need a bit more antidepressant boost to cover some intermittent labile/low moods.
    • By Blahblah
      Anyone find Zoloft more motivating than Effexor? Any weight gain? (it made me insomniac with psychosis 20 years ago). But meds often act differently over time. I've already done trials (some multiple times) of:
      Prozac (lethargic), Celexa (fatigue/apathy), Lexapro (similar to prozac), Cymbalta (vigilance/restlessness legs, but dissociative mind/feeling), Wellbutrin (no effect), Trintillex (no effect), Remeron (sedating/+appetite), Notryptaline (don't recall), Abilify (++appetite, RLS), ..Doc won't RX MAOIs and says that TCAs typically more sedating effects.
      Basically, I don't want to take more than 3 meds (keeping with Lamictal & Ritalin). I want to avoid A/Ps...I like the calming feeling of Prozac & Effexor, but it's as if I am in this fuzzy cloud and I can't move or do anything, comfortably numb. Totally apathetic, in addition to sexual dysfunction, maybe my dosage is wrong. I'm also considering Viibryd, but don't know if it works on Serotonin...?