CrazyBoards.org

Working with Anxiety

Today I woke up in a panic attack and while I stopped the attack, felt too anxious still to go to work. I'm deathly afraid of losing this contracting job I have and need advice!

How can I deal with this and still work? And be productive? How do you do it?

I have been demoted (at my own request) after being promoted to a stress level I could not handle resulting in a 4 month leave.

I always have a couple of valium in my purse and I think sometimes knowing they are there helps, whether I take them or not.

I also try to go for a power walk at lunch everyday.

I still worry that I won't be able to keep it up longterm though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today I woke up in a panic attack and while I stopped the attack, felt too anxious still to go to work. I'm deathly afraid of losing this contracting job I have and need advice!

How can I deal with this and still work? And be productive? How do you do it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand completely what you are feeling.  I have it too..when I'm employed, that is.  Right now I'm not, and anxious beyond belief over money, job hunting, etc.  Can't win for losing, eh?

Anyway, all of the previously recommended are good.  I'd add:

Deep Breathing as needed, preferably following by a little in-office stretching (bend over from waist and let your head and arms just hang there.)

Also, I'd re-emphasize having some benzodiazapines at the ready.  For me, breathing and stretching doesn't doesn't do it alone...I need medication.  I'm comfortable with that....anxiety can be pure hell, and frankly, as cruel as the workplace is, I don't feel one bit guilty taking it.

Good luck.

me too.

tho my manager has been to HR and they were supportive apparantly, and she has been way more sensitive and understanding.

with me absenteeism isn't the issue...its more the *wobblies* in public.....I am getting more able to handle things....but there's always the options of Propranolol...and 10 minutes weeping and shaking in the toilets....or Rescue Remedy....or asking for the rest of the day off...but we've been short staffed lately. so that one's been virtually impossible.

I am face to face with public all the time (library assistant) and have to refer angry customers onto colleagues....as I no can handle at this time...

*normal service will be resumed as soon as possible*

me too.

tho my manager has been to HR and they were supportive apparantly, and she has been way more sensitive and understanding.

I am face to face with public all the time (library assistant) and have to refer angry customers onto colleagues....as I no can handle at this time...

*normal service will be resumed as soon as possible*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a librarian and am also usually face to face with the public, though I have some opportunities to hide in my cube and cry.  I'm the one that gets to deal with the angriest customers just because I have a knack for it -- then I go to my cube and shake.  Used take an klonopin first until I got on a set schedule for them.

Funny thing is, my HR dept doesn't want to know what's wrong with me because if they fire me and I can demonstrate it was because they knew or even thought I was bipolar, I would have grounds for re-instatement (civil service) or a law suit.  Yet when you fill out disability paperwork for them, a diagnosis is required ;)

Tommy

Hey there!  I'm in a contracting job tooo.  How do I do it?  A careful balance of Xanax and self talk.  I have to constantly remind myself that I can do what I am asked and I can do it well.  I can only stay focused for a small amount of time, but that is okay.  I take frequent "mental breaks" and no one around me questions me.  I do my best and I know that this is all I can do.  Luckily I'm working on a govt. project, so they are naturally slow going and lower stress.  I don't bring my work home with me, cause that is a killer.  The only thing I can say is to tell yourself that it is just a job, and more jobs will come along.  You won't fail if you don't want to.  Worst case scenario, you screw up a bit and have to look for another....everyone has experienced this at some point.  You are not alone...

Hi:

You might try adding some things to your daily routine. Like exercise, yoga, and the one that REALLY helps me - meditation. I do this without fail, everyday. Well I just started again and am reminded how much it works. It really helps to start the day off with a quiet tone.

We can depend on meds all we want. I take klonopin and Ativan. But ultimately, it is the other stuff you do that will make the long run difference. Look into some daily routines that will help you with your anxiety.

Breeze

Ah... i too would like some advice...

I'm not working at the moment and right now the thought of getting a job is doing my head in, but the thought of not having one... money probs, etc is doing my head in! I wish there were an easy solution.

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Music calms me down pretty quickly but if i'm freaking out I always have zyprexa in my purse for major emergencies. For regular "I can't go to work I'm freaking out" anxiety I have klonopin. I take it, stand in the shower for as long as I can then when I get out I'm calmed down. Then at work I have a radio so I keep it on my favorite music all day.

Lilie

I used to have HORRIBLE panic attacks, and my pdoc told me to stop what I'm doing and take a few deep breaths... try to talk myself down as much as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I still get them on occasion, but not nearly as often as I used to.

At one point, I was almost afraid to leave the house... they were happening so often... I think a good pdoc and meds have helped me quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

huh.

it's my JOB - being at work with an insane boss - that's making ME anxious. I feel just fine when I get away from here...but ya gotta work, you know?

I tried finding ways of making this bearable - and truth is - everyone else here feels the same way I do. So for me: new job is the top of the list. Don't do meds, though I'm sure it would help - and there just isn't enough alcohol to make this disappear (stopped drinking to deal with it anyway).

Do the breathing, relaxation/meditation and walking....but some days...let's put it this way: the second in command put his hand through a wall last summer because he couldn't take the idiocy.

Archived