CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  

I want to try Nortriptyline again, but my psych doc is hesitant.  He prescribed me Seroquel and Abilify but my pharmacist refused to fill them, advising not to take them together at my age (67).  I used to take Pamelor for 30 years and where it did nothing for depression, it controlled anxiety, panic disorders and managed migraine. 

Waiting to hear back from my psych doc today if he will approve Nortriptyline.  I need to sleep.  I need something to help with agoraphobia, terrible anxiety and panic. Everything I take activates anxiety and panic. Leaving my home is a battle with fear. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

Oh dang, forgot to ask about Ambien for interim help with sleep.  Thanks for the reminder.  It was right on my checklist of things to ask for. I hate to keep calling him.  Will start the Pamelor tonight and see if that doesn't help, if not will have to call him again.

I used to take Pamelor for sleep, it worked well. It is tricyclic antidepressant (TCA). All the TCA's are cardiotoxic to some degree depending on the TCA. This means there will be changes on your EKG. I had them and my docs said they were not significant since we knew what was causing them. I was a young man when I took Pamelor, I don't know how being an older man would effect being on them.

Generally TCA become dangerous (in terms of cardiotoxicity) when you take a whole lot them in a OD/Suicide situation.  

• Like 1

Hello Notloki ~  Yes, I understand this.  I already have a baseline EKG a year ago and then one 30 days ago.  However, I am 67 years old, so I have no idea how this will affect my cardiac output at this age, I went off of it 10 years ago.  My prescribing psych doc approved that I can take this and see how I do with it.  In the past it helped immensely with panic/anxiety/agoraphobia but did nothing for depression as I was not able to get it up high enough into the therapeutic range, so I was stuck at 10 mg which is a tiny amount.  But with this drug I could then travel, fly in a plane, leave my home and drive to the grocery store and do shopping.  Before this, I was housebound, afraid of everything.  If I had to go to the doctors, I usually ended up curled into a tiny ball in the corner of the exam room, shivering and scared out of my life.  Horrible way to live until I got onto Pamelor.  It is a drug of choice for panic attacks/agoraphobia and it changed my life.   Hoping it will do the same this time around.  Wish me luck !!  And thank you for your reply and warning. 

Sleeping much better while combining Olanzapine and Pamelor.  Sleep thru the night and now getting up to 8 hours of sleep. Feel rested when I wake up. Mood is feeling more stable, thankfully !!! 

The two months prior to this combination of meds, while off of all psych meds I realize now that I was: ultra paranoid, terrible insomnia, nightmares when I did sleep, mood swings, very depressed, scared to leave my home, anxiety was high, constant panic attacks, OCD was very bad, PTSD symptoms activated, not interested in hygiene, hid from people, not interested in eating.  Feeling like my mind was falling apart.  Spending alot, buying the same item 3 times, buying things I don't remember buying., this spending occurred mostly at night. Increased all my credit lines so I could continue to spend. These symptoms are mostly gone now that I started the Olanzapine and Pamelor. 

Alot of my symptoms occurred immediately after a close friend dropped dead right in front of me along with the accumulation of traumas since November 2018.  I was reaching my breaking point. 

This Thursday will be visiting with a new trauma therapist who does EMDR, DBT and CBT.  Hoping it's a good fit. 

Even though I no longer have the kidney stone, per the CTScan, I am still having symptoms, pain in my right flank. 

Still not associating and staying away from most of the folks where I live.  They are all a group of gossipy women and the gossip can ruin a persons life.  Most of it is made up.  It's awful living here.  My apartment is only 400 square feet, my windows overlook a walkway to the management's office and I see a daily parade of people in wheelchairs, walkers.  Being exposed to this daily along with the numerous deaths here, is not what I want to be exposed to on a daily basis.  There are not good options for my limited income to move to.  Long waiting lists with very high rent here. 

Okay, that's my rant for today.  But one good thing, my medication combo is working and next week going to have an EKG.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dewey said:

Sleeping much better while combining Olanzapine and Pamelor.  Sleep thru the night and now getting up to 8 hours of sleep. Feel rested when I wake up. Mood is feeling more stable, thankfully !!! 

The two months prior to this combination of meds, while off of all psych meds I realize now that I was: ultra paranoid, terrible insomnia, nightmares when I did sleep, mood swings, very depressed, scared to leave my home, anxiety was high, constant panic attacks, OCD was very bad, PTSD symptoms activated, not interested in hygiene, hid from people, not interested in eating.  Feeling like my mind was falling apart.  Spending alot, buying the same item 3 times, buying things I don't remember buying., this spending occurred mostly at night. Increased all my credit lines so I could continue to spend. These symptoms are mostly gone now that I started the Olanzapine and Pamelor.

I'm so happy for you that you are getting the relief from your medicines that you need so much! I understand very much how bad it can be when you're suffering and can't get relief no matter what.

Alot of my symptoms occurred immediately after a close friend dropped dead right in front of me along with the accumulation of traumas since November 2018.  I was reaching my breaking point.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what it will would be like if one of my close friends were to go before me. My condolences go out to you and I hope your heart heals soon. May your friend rest in peace.

This Thursday will be visiting with a new trauma therapist who does EMDR, DBT and CBT.  Hoping it's a good fit.

I hope this works out for you!

Even though I no longer have the kidney stone, per the CTScan, I am still having symptoms, pain in my right flank.

It's so strange that you say this... I am just now having kidney stone pain in my right flank as of last night. It keeps coming and going like it/they is/are moving, then stop(s), then moving again, etc. I was about to go to the ER twice last night before they ultimately stopped around 1 AM and I finally got to sleep. I'm just waiting for the big "attack" happens... These will be the third kidney stones I will have had, thanks to Topamax. I hope your pain subsides as soon as possible.

Still not associating and staying away from most of the folks where I live.  They are all a group of gossipy women and the gossip can ruin a persons life.  Most of it is made up.  It's awful living here.  My apartment is only 400 square feet, my windows overlook a walkway to the management's office and I see a daily parade of people in wheelchairs, walkers.  Being exposed to this daily along with the numerous deaths here, is not what I want to be exposed to on a daily basis.  There are not good options for my limited income to move to.  Long waiting lists with very high rent here.

I'm very sorry for the conditions in which you are living. I would like to point out that when one is depressed, one tends to see the negative before seeing the positive. It's not that you're looking for it, it's that it sort of slams you in the face, so to speak. It's like there's a cloud in front of you, hiding the positive, and you're kind of "nearsighted" to anything positive. So it's easier to see for the negative since it's so difficult to "focus" well enough to see the positive. From what you described, your experience is obviously not easy to deal with; however, with your medication cocktail helping now, and with the therapy that you will be getting, hopefully your outlook will improve. I hope everything gets better for you.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 9:28 AM, Dewey said:

Okay, that's my rant for today.  But one good thing, my medication combo is working and next week going to have an EKG.

Amazing how similar our living situation is! Down to the T. Walkers, gossip, high rent, everything. I’m so sorry for the trauma and terrible loss you’ve endured. ? I can very much relate to the dreadful pain you must be feeling. I really hope your therapist is a match. Big hug. 

Hi Ya Janet *smiles* ~  Good to hear from you !!  Is your living situation something you can cure and move on, or are you stuck there for the time being?  At least you have your little Pug for love and hugs. 

Just home from visiting with new therapist.  Mostly information gathering today.  She seems pretty bland, devoid of expressive facial emotions.  Of course I had a migraine right in the middle of it all and could not see her face for about 30 out of the 45 minutes, but she was kind enough to extend my first visit to an hour.  So, that's one plus about her.  She asked to see me once a week for now, maybe twice a week (yikes, not sure I can afford that).  She does EMDR and wants to hop right on that next visit, but I need to put the brakes on with that. I have to develop trust first to see how she handles trauma with me.  We also need to practice safe place drills first. I told her that I need the last 10 minutes to do deep breathing and grounding techniques.  In reality, EMDR, one needs 1-1/2 hour to get in and get out safely. 

I did notice that the Olanzapine/Pamelor worked.  I could handle the new situation without an ink of panic or agoraphobia. I felt calm.  Their office was all space-aged.  I was greeted by a big computer board when I first walked in, had to sign in that way.  Then they collected my fee upfront (not used to that).  Lobby was not comforting, big bright lights, receptionists sat behind bullet proof windows, slid all information in and out of tiny slits in the window, all entryways were coded to go into and out (yes, even out, a code had to be put in).  Cameras everywhere (makes me wonder what clientele they are seeing), until one patient walked in with a monitor around his ankle with a cop in tow.  So, that answered that question.    Going to see her next Friday and the following Monday.  I think putting off the expense of a new kitty for now until I get stabilized. 

I finally feel that I am beginning the process of healing safely. 

• Like 1

Hi there Mikl ~  Thank you very much for your very detailed response to me.  I smiled when I saw this.  I like how you broke out each response, not sure now to do that.  So, for now, will respond in kind here. 

I agree with you.  I observe thru the veil of depression and negativity and fear.  Hoping that the veil of all this lifts a bit thru medication and therapy.  Right now, where I am living, is the best place for me as there are 200 residents living here and some, I have found, come knocking on my door if they have not seen me for awhile, or my packages pile up at my door. 

Yes, sleeping is critical for mood.  I do, however, have to get up to use the bathroom several times a night, which breaks up my sleep but I listen to motivational speakers on my CD with a sleep timer to help lull me back to sleep.  The new med cocktail is definitely working out very well for me, fingers crossed.  I had a test today and that was that I got out to go to see the new therapist and had very little fear and agoraphobia.  I could feel the anxiety tugging at me, but was able to get thru the appointment and back home okay. 

Oh NO !!!  Really sorry to hear about your kidney stone.  I'm guessing you had either an x-ray or CTScan to confirm this.  What size is it?  Mine was 5mm and that's verging on the larger size which makes it difficult to get town the urether.  My CTScan showed it is not gone, but still having renal colic, hoping that subsides. YES !! my pain came and went in waves with nausea.  My urologist surgeon gave me FloMax to help open up the pipes down there to let the stone flow out and I do believe it worked.  He also gave me something for nausea when the waves of pain hit me and an opiod for pain control too.  I also concentrated on drinking 9-8oz of water daily to help flush it out.  I also coupled it with "Smart Water" as that has the ingredients so you don't wash out your sodium and potassium as drinking that much water can adversely cause dehydration too. Have you seen a surgeon?  My surgeon would not perform the shock-wave procedure since mine was sitting right outside my bladder.  If it was up near my kidney he would have.  He wanted to perform surgery and I would have had to wear a stent which I was adamantly opposed to, so I waited out the pain and believe me, I understand the pain.  If when you are enduring the pain, don't forget to take deep breaths.  I imagined my stone was the size of a spec of sand while I did deep breathing to work thru the pain.  The pain is unpredictable.  Since you have had these before, what kind of stone do you usually get?  Mine are uric acid stones.  Wishing and hoping your stone makes it way out quickly !!!  BTW, are you off Topomax now?  I was on the sister drug, called Zonegran, which I went off of immediately. 

Let me know how it goes with your kidney stone !!!

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Hi there Mikl ~  Thank you very much for your very detailed response to me.  I smiled when I saw this.  I like how you broke out each response, not sure now to do that.  So, for now, will respond in kind here.

I'm so happy that my response brought a smile to your face! :D Oh! In order to respond like this, highlight the text you want to quote with your mouse, and a small, black box will pop up that says "quote," which you can then click, and it will "quote" the selected text in the response box below wherever the cursor is located.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

I agree with you.  I observe thru the veil of depression and negativity and fear.  Hoping that the veil of all this lifts a bit thru medication and therapy.  Right now, where I am living, is the best place for me as there are 200 residents living here and some, I have found, come knocking on my door if they have not seen me for awhile, or my packages pile up at my door.

I only was able to call it because I, too, do the same thing. I think I've come a long way in the past few years since my mental illness got very bad (I mean very bad!). I hope that this veil of darkness lifts for you too! Hey, that's good that there are people who come check on you, I think!

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Yes, sleeping is critical for mood.  I do, however, have to get up to use the bathroom several times a night, which breaks up my sleep but I listen to motivational speakers on my CD with a sleep timer to help lull me back to sleep.  The new med cocktail is definitely working out very well for me, fingers crossed.  I had a test today and that was that I got out to go to see the new therapist and had very little fear and agoraphobia.  I could feel the anxiety tugging at me, but was able to get thru the appointment and back home okay.

Yes indeed! I have seizures in my sleep (or was... not sure if I still am, neurologist won't do a sleeping/waking EEG... it was actually my sleep doctor who found out I was having nocturnal seizures) and some occasionally during the day (partial seizures i believe, haven't managed to catch one on an EEG), which disrupt my sleep. Since being on Trileptal and Topamax, my mood has improved quite dramatically as I believe they have improved my sleep secondary to reducing seizure frequency.

I don't know if you would be able to take this (but it may be worth mentioning to your doctor), but there is a medication, desmopressin, which could possibly help with your frequent nighttime urination (nocturia) and could possibly help you get some better sleep. Also, nortriptyline (Pamelor) can also help with this too, but might require a higher dose, which I'm not sure if you could get approved for. Plus, nortriptyline becomes activating/stimulating the higher the dose goes, which may not be what you would be going for.

That's great that you were able to get out and see your new therapist! That's how Stelazine was for me. I was at one point housebound... My pdoc grudgingly prescribed it to me at my request, and it was so wonderful! She discontinued it though because of concern of tardive dyskinesia though. But that stuff is like brain glue for me!

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Oh NO !!!  Really sorry to hear about your kidney stone.  I'm guessing you had either an x-ray or CTScan to confirm this.  What size is it?  Mine was 5mm and that's verging on the larger size which makes it difficult to get town the urether.  My CTScan showed it is not gone, but still having renal colic, hoping that subsides. YES !! my pain came and went in waves with nausea.  My urologist surgeon gave me FloMax to help open up the pipes down there to let the stone flow out and I do believe it worked.  He also gave me something for nausea when the waves of pain hit me and an opiod for pain control too.  I also concentrated on drinking 9-8oz of water daily to help flush it out.  I also coupled it with "Smart Water" as that has the ingredients so you don't wash out your sodium and potassium as drinking that much water can adversely cause dehydration too. Have you seen a surgeon?  My surgeon would not perform the shock-wave procedure since mine was sitting right outside my bladder.  If it was up near my kidney he would have.  He wanted to perform surgery and I would have had to wear a stent which I was adamantly opposed to, so I waited out the pain and believe me, I understand the pain.  If when you are enduring the pain, don't forget to take deep breaths.  I imagined my stone was the size of a spec of sand while I did deep breathing to work thru the pain.  The pain is unpredictable.  Since you have had these before, what kind of stone do you usually get?  Mine are uric acid stones.  Wishing and hoping your stone makes it way out quickly !!!  BTW, are you off Topomax now?  I was on the sister drug, called Zonegran, which I went off of immediately. 

Let me know how it goes with your kidney stone !!!

Oh it's no big deal. They are pretty much guaranteed to happen if you take Topamax, especially as high a dose as I take... lol. I haven't had a CT scan or X-ray, yet. But I have a feeling that one will be imminent. Not sure what size yet. I just have a hunch that it's kidney stones because it's that same, dreadful pain as the last two times I've had them. I don't really get nausea too bad with my kidney stones, thankfully. YES! Flomax is a godsend!! I have some Zofran just in case I do get nausea, and my mom has some Phenergan too. I also have some Compazine. (I practically have a pharmacy in my room... lol) I admit I haven't been the best about drinking enough water, especially what with taking 400 mg of Topamax (I'm really supposed to be drinking a lot of water because of that!). No, I haven't seen a surgeon. Hitherto, my kidney stones haven't been severe enough to see one, thankfully. Last time I had kidney stones, the blood clots were larger than the stones that I passed (exponentially larger!). I actually wasn't able to get my stone to my urologist because the guy retired before I was even able to get back to his office! He literally just suddenly and without warning retired! Didn't even get a chance to get my records from him! So bizarre! But if I remember correctly, the type of kidney stones induced by Topamax are calcium phosphate stones.

I am still on Topamax, which I need for my seizures and bipolar disorder. I have been on Zonegran before too. I liked it pretty good but it quit working, even at 400 mg.

Will do! Thanks!

Mikl ~  ""Yes indeed! I have seizures in my sleep (or was... not sure if I still am, neurologist won't do a sleeping/waking EEG... it was actually my sleep doctor who found out I was having nocturnal seizures) and some occasionally during the day (partial seizures i believe, haven't managed to catch one on an EEG), which disrupt my sleep. Since being on Trileptal and Topamax, my mood has improved quite dramatically as I believe they have improved my sleep secondary to reducing seizure frequency.""

My EEG always shows slow wave and spiking, which is indicative of a potential to have a seizure of any type.  I have had abnormal EEG's now for over 30 years. Seizures have never been caught on the EEG. Question for you, how do you know you are having nocturnal seizures?  I suspect I, too, have those types of seizures.  I also have partial seizure disorder with motor overlay.  I have not had a seizure in over 2 years that I know of as the medication I was on well controlled it - Depakote.  But after the discovery of my liver disease, I had to be taken off of it. 

I tried Trileptal, but the side effects pounded me and I could not get the dosage up into the therapeutic range, I am super sensitive to all medications.  I know being off of the major anti-seizure meds would cause my neurologist to give pause and try to get me on one immediately. I am on Klonopin which is a known anti-seizure medication, but a mild one at that.  I do have a bottle of Neurontin that my primary prescribed for restless legs and leg cramps, which I am having tonight and which is keeping me awake.  So, I am up now, took another Klonopin to help calm that down and sitting here now until the Klonopin takes effect.  The Olanzapine and Pamelor will reduce my threshold for seizures, so once I get settled on these two after about another month, will revisit the Neurontin.  I know it's foolish to let myself be so exposed without having an anti-seizure med on board, but I need to get my brain quieted down and anxiety under control before I start on another medication.

Good to talk to you about this one aspect - seizures.  I also suffer from constant daily vertigo/dizziness, so this is all connected.  Once on Pamelor, it will calm down the anxiety I can't control which will calm down the vertigo and dizziness and hopefully migraine.  Right in the middle of my therapy session yesterday, I was sitting there talking and whamo, half of her face disappeared into a kaleidoscope of colors and I had to get up to take an abortive and then try to sit there and talk thru the aura which is difficult as word salad occurs when I can't see. 

Thank you for your input Mikl *smiles*

Dewey, yes, almost identical to your situation. Can’t afford to move anywhere. I’m on the section 8 waiting  list, but probably won’t be able to afford moving cost when it comes up anyway.

Guess I should start putting aside money I don’t have (food money) for the move? Ha. 

Ps. Topamax helps you sleep?

edit: I looked at pamelor side effects, and didn’t see fatigue...it did say fast heart rate...is it helping you sleep? Or is something else helping that?

Edited by DammitJanet

22 hours ago, Dewey said:

Question for you, how do you know you are having nocturnal seizures?

I actually don't, lol. The only way I knew about them was that I was having a sleep study for excessive daytime sleepiness. I had been previously diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia by my first sleep study, and was having a new sleep study for my new sleep doctor. I need to go back to him again (haven't seen him in over a year) and have him re-send my sleep study to my neurologist because as far as my neurologist is concerned, I have conversion disorder (PNES [psychogenic non-epileptic seizures]).

It very well could be that my neurologist is trying to protect me from having to turn in my driver's license though.

I suspect I, too, have those types of seizures.  I also have partial seizure disorder with motor overlay.

What does "motor overlay" mean?

I have not had a seizure in over 2 years that I know of as the medication I was on well controlled it - Depakote.  But after the discovery of my liver disease, I had to be taken off of it. 

Ooh, that's too bad. Depakote is one heck of a medication! It'll do some pretty serious things to your body!

I tried Trileptal, but the side effects pounded me and I could not get the dosage up into the therapeutic range, I am super sensitive to all medications.  I know being off of the major anti-seizure meds would cause my neurologist to give pause and try to get me on one immediately. I am on Klonopin which is a known anti-seizure medication, but a mild one at that.  I do have a bottle of Neurontin that my primary prescribed for restless legs and leg cramps, which I am having tonight and which is keeping me awake.  So, I am up now, took another Klonopin to help calm that down and sitting here now until the Klonopin takes effect.

What all anticonvulsants have you tried? I see gabapentin, Lamictal, Trileptal, Keppra, and phenobarbital (wow...), and you said you had to be taken off the Depakote.

And you said you have mainly absence seizures? Or partial seizures? Or both?

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I have read just a little bit about anticonvulsants, and perhaps I might be able to make a suggestion for an anticonvulsant that you haven't tried yet that might benefit you to mention to your neurologist? Also, I might like to invoke the knowledge of @notloki, who is mightily knowledgeable about anticonvulsants.

If it's just absence seizures you're dealing with, which, by the way, are a type of generalized seizure, then your best bet would be ethosuximide (Zarontin) since you had to be taken off the Depakote, which would be the other medicine of choice for absence seizures. Lamotrigine (Lamictal) would be another medicine, but monotherapy with lamotrigine is considered to be less effective for absence seizures. The thing about ethosuximide is that it's only effective for just absence seizures, no other kinds of seizures. If you're having any other kinds of seizures in addition to absence seizures, then you would need valproate (Depakote), which you mentioned you had to be taken off of because of your liver problems, and lamotrigine (Lamictal) you have in your signature as a failed medication too. Clonazepam (Klonopin) is effective in the short term, but because you can develop a tolerence to it, it's generally not recommended for treatment of absence seizures.

There are contraindicated drugs for absence seizures: carbamazepine (Tegretol), vigabatrin (Sabril/Vigadrone), and tiagabine (Gabitril), particularly vigabatrin and tiaabine, because they are used to induce, not treat, absence seizures and absence status epilepticus. Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal), phenytoin (Dilantin), phenobarbital (Luminal), gabapentin (Neurontin), and Lyrica (pregabalin) shouldn't be used because they may worsen absence seizures.

When I type in "absence seizures" in Epocrates, I get the following medications:

• topiramate (Topamax)
  • lamotrigine (Lamictal)
  • valproic acid (Depakene)
  • ethosuximide (Zarontin)
  • levetiracetam (Keppra)
  • zonisamide (Zonegran)

I believe you've taken a majority of these medications... lol.

The Olanzapine and Pamelor will reduce my threshold for seizures, so once I get settled on these two after about another month, will revisit the Neurontin.  I know it's foolish to let myself be so exposed without having an anti-seizure med on board, but I need to get my brain quieted down and anxiety under control before I start on another medication.

Hey, I understand. You gotta do what you gotta do! I'm on lots of meds concomitantly that work together to lower the seizure threshold too (desipramine, Abilify, Thorazine, etc.)

Good to talk to you about this one aspect - seizures.  I also suffer from constant daily vertigo/dizziness, so this is all connected.  Once on Pamelor, it will calm down the anxiety I can't control which will calm down the vertigo and dizziness and hopefully migraine.  Right in the middle of my therapy session yesterday, I was sitting there talking and whamo, half of her face disappeared into a kaleidoscope of colors and I had to get up to take an abortive and then try to sit there and talk thru the aura which is difficult as word salad occurs when I can't see.

Ugh. I hate migraines. I get weird auras. I get olfactory hallucinations, I can't complete sentences worth anything, and every now and then I will get the scintillating scotoma thing. Almost never nausea, thankfully, but I always have Zofran and Compazine, thankfully.

Thank you for your input Mikl *smiles*

Absolutely! :) 

18 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

Guess I should start putting aside money I don’t have (food money) for the move? Ha.

We really need one of those much-sought-after money trees everyone talks about... (I know... not funny... :( I'm sorry...)

I'm not sure if you were talking to @Dewey or me, so I went ahead and responded anyway. :) Topamax is kinda like... nothing to me, except it just occasionally gives me kidney stones... lol.

edit: I looked at pamelor side effects, and didn’t see fatigue...it did say fast heart rate...is it helping you sleep? Or is something else helping that?

Because nortriptyline has a moderately high affinity to the H1 histamine receptor, but also high affinity for the norepinephrine transporter (NET), the result of this will be a differential sedation/stimulation effect depending on dose, wherein low doses are sedating due to the Haffinity (antihistaminergic effects), and high doses are stimulating due to the noradrenergic effects secondary to the NET inhibition (norepinephrine reuptake inhibition). @Dewey is on the lowest dose they make in capsule form (10 mg), so to most people, this will be pretty sedating, but were she to increase the dose, as she said she is pretty sensitive to medications' effects, she might find it to actually be stimulating, which might not be desirable, as it might not have the calming effects that she needs for her anxiety/panic/etc.

I imagine the olanzapine (Zyprexa) is also helping her sleep too, and also helping her with her anxiety and everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

We really need one of those much-sought-after money trees everyone talks about... (I know... not funny... :( I'm sorry...)

I'm not sure if you were talking to @Dewey or me, so I went ahead and responded anyway. :) Topamax is kinda like... nothing to me, except it just occasionally gives me kidney stones... lol.

Because nortriptyline has a moderately high affinity to the H1 histamine receptor, but also high affinity for the norepinephrine transporter (NET), the result of this will be a differential sedation/stimulation effect depending on dose, wherein low doses are sedating due to the Haffinity (antihistaminergic effects), and high doses are stimulating due to the noradrenergic effects secondary to the NET inhibition (norepinephrine reuptake inhibition). @Dewey is on the lowest dose they make in capsule form (10 mg), so to most people, this will be pretty sedating, but were she to increase the dose, as she said she is pretty sensitive to medications' effects, she might find it to actually be stimulating, which might not be desirable, as it might not have the calming effects that she needs for her anxiety/panic/etc.

I imagine the olanzapine (Zyprexa) is also helping her sleep too, and also helping her with her anxiety and everything.

Gotcha. Doc just gave me a three month supply of Seroquel and I hate knowing I’ve just got a script for three months of weight gain. So, always looking for alternatives.

If I want to change right away now though she’ll probably start getting a tad annoyed. Ha. 

This is a good one to keep in mind. I had a seizure on amitryptiline (sp) many moons ago and it’s also a red med on my gene study. Would that rule this one out as well? 

Edit: never mind, just looked further and pamelor is in the green. Phew!

Edited by DammitJanet

On 8/31/2018 at 7:50 AM, DammitJanet said:

Dewey, yes, almost identical to your situation. Can’t afford to move anywhere. I’m on the section 8 waiting  list, but probably won’t be able to afford moving cost when it comes up anyway.

Hi Janet ~  Not having the fast heart rate, I'm starting at a pretty low dose of Pamelor.  Have been on this before and can't go any higher then 10mg.  The Zyprexa is the one that is helping with sleep.  I just inched it up to 1/2 of a 5mg tablet.  In the morning, it takes me several hours to work thru the sedation.  I can't take Topomax due to potential to develop kidney stones, which I just passed one. 

My county shut down Section 8, no one can get on that list again, it's permanent.  Have you check to see if your list is now closed? I hope not, for your sake !!

Sorry to hear that your situation is identical to mine.  We have alot in common then.

53 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Sorry for hijacking!

Don't worry about it.  Learning as I go along.:D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Hi Janet ~  Not having the fast heart rate, I'm starting at a pretty low dose of Pamelor.  Have been on this before and can't go any higher then 10mg.  The Zyprexa is the one that is helping with sleep.  I just inched it up to 1/2 of a 5mg tablet.  In the morning, it takes me several hours to work thru the sedation.  I can't take Topomax due to potential to develop kidney stones, which I just passed one. 

My county shut down Section 8, no one can get on that list again, it's permanent.  Have you check to see if your list is now closed? I hope not, for your sake !!

Sorry to hear that your situation is identical to mine.  We have alot in common then.

Nashville rarely opens, but by the grace of whatever may be holy, I got in on this rare “lottery day “.  So yes it’s closed for a good long time now, but I definitely am on it. Apparently takes a couple of years to climb to the top, but I’ve been on it for a year now!

No idea how I’ll pay for movers and deposit, though! 

Also, I don’t pay utilities here, and I’m pretty sure most other places will charge them. I doubt I’ll be able to afford that. ? 

I  need out of here though!

Edited by DammitJanet

Hello Janet ~  We have the lottery here too and I don't like it.  Have been lucky in the past and did not have to do a lottery with Section 8 due to moving under emergency conditions.  Keep "emergency conditions" in mind to use as a reason to move your Voucher so you don't have to do the lottery method.  I think the lottery method is soo utterly unfair.  It's soo easy to loose your Voucher thru the lottery method. 

I do not pay utilities here where I live too, so that's a plus. 

I need out of here too.