CrazyBoards.org

Best meds for these?

Guest Zachary Odette

Guest Zachary Odette

Are there particular meds people recommend for social phobia?  I've been on Zoloft, Prozac, and SSRIs before but they don't help with social phobia.

there's a post here on new research on social phobia.  one study mentions virtual reality therapy (weird huh?) and effexor (venlafaxine) and lyrica (pregabalin.)  at the bottom are abstracts from two studies on lyrica (which is an anti convulsant that is approved in the US for neuropathic pain and seizures, and approved for those uses and anxiety in the EU.)  lyrica is neurontin's new cousin, and many people have found neurontin to be effective.

then, of course, there are the benzos.  longer acting ones like klonopin (or newer extended release versions like xanax xr) may be appropriate and you may be able to avoid dependence depending upon how often you're around people.

so, there are lots of options other than SSRIs to discuss with your doctor if SSRIs don't work for you.

penny

Guest Guest_FloridaWoman_*

My SP fluctuates but so far lexapro at subclinical 5mgs and xanax if needed ( maybe about 3/4 times a week) I've had nasty xanax withdrawals so I never take it everyday

HTH

Have other anticonvulsants been researched as SP drugs (besides Neurontin)?  Aren't beta blockers supposed to help SP?

Beta blockers can help with the physical symptoms of SP/SAD.  Blushing, hand shaking, stuttering and stammering, that kind of thing.  Since these can spiral out of control in a cycle of "oh my god what must they think of me for blushing, stuttering and stammering," preventing these physical symptoms can help prevent further social anxiety. 

For chronic blushing there is a surgical procedure where they clip a nerve.

Lyrica and Neurontin are the only two ACs I've seen studied.

Benzos, klon. in particular, can help.

All the SSRIs can help.

For particularly bad cases the MOA-Is parnate and nardil can make a huge difference.  They are what were used before the SSRIs came on the market and some people still insist they are best thing there is.

• 4 months later...

Lexapro has done wonders for my social anxiety. When I was really depressed, it didn't do anything, so I wasn't expecting it to do much for my anxiety either, but I've definitely noticed a difference. I feel less self conscious when I'm around people, and it's a bit easier to talk to people without constantly questioning what I'm about to say and what if I say something stupid, etc. I also take clonidine and that seems to help with a lot of the nervous jitteryness that I get when I'm around people.

i don't have social anxiety, however all of us have the jitters when we're going to speak in front of people, or when we meet someone new. that isn't social anxiety, it is normal, but it is there.

my meds totally knocked out mine. i don't know which one, but i can get up in front of people and teach about stuff i just learned and have no problems. usually i'd be hesistant because i just learned it and i'd want to make sure i knew more, but i get right out there and say it and am confident on my meds. no problem there. it could be the antipsychotics. i don't recommend you jump out and take those by any stretch, but i'm suspecting those may be the culprits.

i used to take paxil, wellbutrin, seroquel, and klonopin. that combo hit the spot for any anxiety i ever had. i could meet new people, get up in front of a stadium of people, walk into any room, meet people i admired, ask any embarassing questions, and nothing fazed me. i just went on and on with life.

as i said, i do not have a social anxiety disorder and i do not recomment you take bipolar meds just to quell an anxiety issue! however, i did notice a substantial difference in my own reactions to people and situations taking the stuff.

they took away the paxil and have added all kinds of other junk, and the feelings of peace have largely remained. i think the paxil was a strong ingrediant, but i could still meet the President and be solid with it. i could still BE the president and be solid with it! weird, huh?

loon

I am experiencing noticeable relief of social anxiety with gabapentin/neurontin, but only at a high dosage.

Most people on this board say it didn't work for them though, so it probably shouldn't be the first med you ask your doctor for.

Ativan has worked very well for me in more extreme situations - playing guitar in front of an audience, going on a job interview, etc. Paxil has been helping less with the social stuff and more with general anxiety - driving, not waking up instantly nervous every day. It varies depending on circumstances.

I am experiencing noticeable relief of social anxiety with gabapentin/neurontin, but only at a high dosage.

Most people on this board say it didn't work for them though, so it probably shouldn't be the first med you ask your doctor for.

I love my neurontin - it makes just about all the anxiety go away and I find myself much more sociable. But like you, Dee, only at high doses - except my pdoc says the limit is 1800 - I am taking the research to her to show her about the higher doses working for anxiety.

• 7 months later...

Remeron, Zyprexa, Valium have all really helped knocking out the social anxiety and other kinds of anxiety. Effexor-XR and Celexa (at different times) helped too. Before I started taking antidepressants I was afraid to leave the house. I take Inderal too to stop the trembling from anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am not sure what has worked for me. I am not too happy with the SSRI family with helping my SP- I can handle sub clinical doses, and sometimes barely. It does not really get the bad anxiety. I want to try Depakote again because I felt it helped with my anxiety levels and gave me sort of a baseline mood.

Archived