CrazyBoards.org

AD work GREAT for 1st couple weeks, then downhill?

Sorry for those who have read this story already in other threads, but I'm writing this for the benefit of those who haven't seen my other threads about Effexor.  I had been on Paxil and Zoloft up until then (never at the same time).  It was my 5th hospitalization in 6 years. 

The pdoc at intake said she wanted to try something stronger.  So she put me on Effexor.  Kicked in after 6 days, all at once.  Went to bed one night feeling like shit, woke up the next morning feeling better than I have in years.  It wasn't that nothing ever bothered me, it was that shit didn't bother me anywhere near as much as it did before or since.  Then after maybe 2-2 1/2 weeks, I could feel it begin to stop working.  Since then my regular pdoc has taken me off of Effexor and started me on Wellbutrin 300mg and Lexapro 20mg.  And I also take Trazodone 100mg at night for sleep (although the Effexor didn't do fuck all for me without the Trazodone).

My question is this: has anyone had the kind of experience with any drug that I had with Effexor?  Where it worked like a miracle-drug for the first 2 weeks or so, and then it started to wear off?  My tdoc thinks maybe I felt better because I was in the hospital, where I felt safe and away from all my problems.  Which is BULLSHIT!  ;)   I've been hospitalized 5 times and I know when I feel better just because I'm away from my problems.  If that was the case, my problems would still depress and worry the fuck out of me in the hospital cause I'd know I couldn't stay in the hospital forever.  And I never even felt too good about being in the hospital.  I fucking hate the hospital, at least shitty state-run mental hospitals where I go because I have no insurance.

Anyway, am I alone here or has anyone had the experience with any other drug (including Effexor) that I had with Effexor? 

Guest Guestxyz

Well, not everyone would agree with this, but I think it's true. The body adapts to all sorts of chemicals that work on the mind. Yes, sometimes with"true" (whatever that may be) depression people have an antidepressant working for them for life (or 10 years, the SSRI's and SNRI's haven't been around very long). The way and speed the body adapts depends on the chemical itself and the person. But opinions about that vary.

efexor and remeron both did that for me after the first week in terms of my hyper-vigilant anxiety. I could handle people nearby me for the first week or 2 and thought all my troubles were over....and then....

happily, though, remeron is keeping insomnia and the worst of the anxiety at bay.....and the depression...well, its kept contained and at a functionable with level, lets put it that way. therapy is easier on meds, and I've yet to get off efexor completely and see what remeron is like on its own....

I've had this problem with numerous ad's. I was on Effexor 300 mg. Great, then not. My pdoc added Wellbutrin 300 mg to the effexor. Made me WAY too jittery so he knocked it down to 200 then wants me to work up to 300. Effexor made me feel ok for a few weeks, then all I wanted to do was sleep. I'm still having trouble with depression, but I don't sleep all the time.

Sometimes I wonder if I want too much from my meds. Are they alone supposed to make life bearable? Maybe it's the talk therapy that does that and the meds keep you around long enough for the talk therapy to work.

Archived