CrazyBoards.org

So, I went to see my GP to talk about possibly switching from Prozac to something else. I am not sure if my Prozac is pooping out or if it just normal life stressors getting to me. So, I discussed this with him and he had me do some genetic testing to see if I metabolize psychiatric meds normally. I got the results back, and apparently the only abnormal thing is that I have a gene mutation that makes me unable to metabolize folic acid properly, so he prescribed something called Deplin, generic version L-Methylfolate 15mg. With insurance coverage it is $56 a month!! I am wondering if anyone has had noticeable, positive results from this before I drop $56 on basically a pharmaceutical grade vitamin. I am thinking that maybe I should just go back to seeing a therapist and not go on the med merry-go-round again, since Prozac is still working and life is not so bad to warrant a huge medication change. Maybe possibly going from Prozac 20mg to 30mg? Since 40mg had benefits but I was WAYYYYYYYY too fatigued all the time.

Another thing I want to inquire about is possibly augmenting Prozac with Wellbutrin. I had been on Wellbutrin 150mg XL 4 years ago, and I think I liked it but it made me VERY irritable. The difference then is that that was my main antidepressant, second one being Remeron 15mg, but that was mostly for sleep. I am wondering maybe the Prozac has leveled me out more so I will not be as irritable from the Wellbutrin. Anyone had success with an SSRI + Wellbutrin? Thank you all.

Edited by icygrave

1 hour ago, gb84 said:

I had the gene test as well and take L-Methylfolate daily.  Unfortunately it hasn't improved a thing.  Don't waste your money on Deplin, it's a ripoff. 

That's exactly what I suspected, how disappointing. Ridiculous that a damn vitamin is sold for $56. Insanity. Thanks for sharing your experience.

2 hours ago, icygrave said:

That's exactly what I suspected, how disappointing. Ridiculous that a damn vitamin is sold for $56. Insanity. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Np. 

I wish it would have worked.  I had two months of Deplin samples, then I bought some L-Methylfolate on Amazon.  So far no luck using the gene test for anything that works.  My old pdoc sold me on the test saying it would show which meds should work best.  Clearly not the case.  Everything I've tried in the green has failed miserably.  But hey, I'm not bitter or anything. 

17 hours ago, browri said:

@icygrave what was the name of the test that you took? Was it GeneSight or GenoMind? If you know that is.

It was the Millennium Health Pharmacogenetic Test. Very similar to genesight but cheaper, I think my insurance may completely cover the cost and if not the max I would pay is $249. Tests for ADHD medications, anticonvulsants, SSRIs/SNRIs, Tricyclics, MAOIs, miscellaneous ADs such as wellbutrin, trazodone trintellix etc. Antipsychotic, both typical and atypical, and benzodiazepines.

I would say the test is definitely worth looking into. Not only did I find out I have two MTHFR gene mutations, but I also am more suspectiable to weight gain from Olanzapine, Clozapine, and a third one I forget. Also found out I metabolize Diazepam, Lorazepam and Oxazepam a bit slowly so levels of the drugs build up in my system higher than normal. Very very interesting!

@icygrave I never got one of those tests done. I always did the research myself using my AncestryDNA and 23andMe data on SelfDecode and GeneticGenie. I'm pretty sure I have hammered down where my issue stems from, and I'm also taking medications that conform to those gene "requirements" pretty well. I would still be curious to see the results for myself though. The Genomind test is more likely to be similar to what you took. Genesight doesn't look into as many neurological genes as it does metabolic genes, like whether you'll metabolize a drug too quickly or too slowly. Ultimately though, I was able to get more information out of my raw data using SelfDecode than those reports seem to provide. I was ultimately disappointed and was hoping getting a clinical test like Genesight or GenoMind done would yield more direct results, but it really wouldn't have.

Edited by browri
confirm vs conform. One letter makes all the difference

Those genetic tests are garbage.  Don't waste your money.

Wellbutrin + a SSRI has been part of my cocktail for 20+ years and kept me from the farthest depths of depression.

In all my years on this site, which has been the lifetime of the site, I have never heard a single person say anything positive about Deplin.  

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 9:41 AM, Velvet Elvis said:

Those genetic tests are garbage.  Don't waste your money.

Wellbutrin + a SSRI has been part of my cocktail for 20+ years and kept me from the farthest depths of depression.

In all my years on this site, which has been the lifetime of the site, I have never heard a single person say anything positive about Deplin.  

I think I may just give Wellbutrin a try! Especially since Prozac IS helping, especially with anxiety, I just feel a tad bit "flat", unmotivated, and melancholic at times. May I ask what dose of Wellbutrin you take?

My pdoc added Wellbutrin to my Zoloft a few months ago. So far it's been an absolute miracle drug. I'm definitely crankier on it than I was on just the Zoloft, but it's not unmanageable and it's well worth it to be able to feel joy again. I haven't been on Wellbutrin by itself, so I unfortunately can't offer any experiences about crankiness on just Wellbutrin vs crankiness on Wellbutrin + AD.

It does sound like it might be worth a try, though. Anhedonia, lack of motivation, and that sort of "flat" feeling are all things it's helped me enormously with. 

10 hours ago, Sync said:

My pdoc added Wellbutrin to my Zoloft a few months ago. So far it's been an absolute miracle drug. I'm definitely crankier on it than I was on just the Zoloft, but it's not unmanageable and it's well worth it to be able to feel joy again. I haven't been on Wellbutrin by itself, so I unfortunately can't offer any experiences about crankiness on just Wellbutrin vs crankiness on Wellbutrin + AD.

It does sound like it might be worth a try, though. Anhedonia, lack of motivation, and that sort of "flat" feeling are all things it's helped me enormously with. 

That is awesome, I'm feeling positive about it! My psych called in a script of Bupropion XL 150mg, and I'm on my way to go pick it up. I'm hoping I do not get as irritable as I did when I took it by itself, but then again that was so many years ago. I think the Prozac and Klonopin will mellow that out. Thank you for all the help guys!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      This is more of a poll to see everyone's favorite med that augments Ritalin? Unfortunately, I don't have access to Adderall, Dex, or any other stimulants (not available/authorized here). So..... I'm debating on switching out my A/D... I'm leaning towards going back to Effexor.
      My pdoc also suggested Abilify to augment, but seems that would be counterproductive, I'm not thrilled about the side effects.
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.

• By Unburdened
      I've been on many medications trying to find the right ones and have lots of boxes of unused medications. I know these would be very useful for many people, especially the extremely expensive ones. I suppose it's unethical to give them to someone else? Obviously I would only do it if they were on that drug anyway and had a prescription. These drugs cost me a fortune and just giving them to a pharmacy so they can destroy them is like burning money. What are your thoughts? I have no way of connecting with people who would need the drugs however so it's not like I know of people in my life who want my Zyban and other medications. I'm in Australia. 
    • By sming
      Hi folks,
      "merry holidays" (lol). So here's my current state of play. There are a lot of variables in play which is something I strive to avoid but then life (and things like not getting divorced or fired) get in the way:
      I'm tapering off of Wellbutrin XL. It's 6 days since my last 75mg XL dose (before you cry "it doesn't come in 75mg doses!" I was taking 300mg WB XL / 4. Not ideal, but such is life). I'm tapering off of Mirapex. I've been on 0.125mg since the 14th (10 days). I started L-Methylfolate at 10mg (perhaps foolishly - that's a high dose) on the 16th (8 days ago) on the basis that I might have MTHFR mutations. I am shortly getting MTHFR tests done. I started Rexulti 0.5mg 19th (5 days ago). This was reduced to 0.25mg on the 22nd (2 days ago. See below as to why).  In summary, a whole shitload of changes all happening in parallel which is exactly what I try to avoid but as I said, shit happens.
      So here's the real deal. For the last month at least I've been experiencing incapacitating anxiety. The kind that has you in the foetal position in bed, waves of anxiety radiating out from your gut/stomach to each limb. Physical weakness, shaking, incoherence, the works.
      Naughtily I'd previously ordered Valium online an less-naughtily I've got 0.5mg Ativan off of my PDoc. Neither touches the anxiety. This a.m. I tried 25mg Valium and 1mg Ativan and collectively they helped maybe 10%. I was still completely dysfunctional.
      The only thing I've found so far that helps substantially is 2+ large whiskies. Within 20 mins of taking them, I feel human, capable, anxiety-free and "alive". Not high or anything - just "human".
      Without context, that sounds terrible and the easy reply is "you are an alcoholic, go get treatment". But that's BS. Why? because:
      15 years ago I went 18 months dry and it didn't help at all. I was more depressed overall from missing out on all the social engagements. (I was like 25). In Feb I went inpatient where they declared my alcohol intake "the problem", made me abstain for 3+ months and guess what? it didn't help my depression at all I don't wake up crazying alcohol I don't want to drink alcohol I've taken many, many other med regimens where this incredible anxiety is not present e.g. SSRI's , TCA's, MAOI's. It seems something particular to either (or both Wellbutrin and Mirapex). As of tonight I'm dropping the Mirapex, even though it's a tiny dose and my PDoc wanted me to remain upon it. Tough shit.
      As of today I dropped my L-methylfolate intake from 10mg to 2.5mg since I've read that a long-term starvation of L-methylfolate (such as my postulated situation), followed by a "downpour" of l-methylfolate can make you feel even worse. So I'm toning that down.
      Finally, my questions:
      why is it that only the alcohol is relieving this incapacitating, incredible 10/10 strength anxiety? (and I have 20+ years of anxiety to know when anxiety is worth a 10/10 rating) am I exhibiting alcoholic tendencies? i.e. am I an alcoholic are my proposed actions (dropping L-methylfolate dose, stopping Mirapex, reducing  Rexulti dose) along the right tracks? any other advice? Curled up in bed throughout Christmas, in bed, with 2 young kids is killing me. Concurrently so is the prospect of requiring alcoholic rehab.
      Some subjective insight would be a golden Christmas present from you to me.
      Thank you, Pete
    • By Oniliscious
      I don’t know what category my question goes under, as I do have multiple symptoms in like 3-4 other categories. So, I’ll just try it here...
      Hi everyone. I have schizoaffective disorder-bipolar type, GAD and I also struggle with sever depression. 
      Right now, I am currently on Nortriptyline 75mg 3x/day. This dose goes beyond the maximum dose and I’m still struggling with tiredness and just a low, funky, depressive mood all day. All and all, this particular antidepressant isn’t necessarily helping me.
      So here’s the thing. I used to take Wellbutrin like a decade ago before I was even known to have schizoaffecfive, so my anxiety at the time went through the roof without realizing the underlying issues of a disorder unknown to me at the time. Fast forward a decade later, I’m on a completely different regimen now and I just would like to know if anyone else has schizoaffective disorder, GAD and/or depression like me who is currently on Wellbutrin. I just want to gain some insight from people with my condition (all of any symptom) about Wellbutrin and if it was a life saver for them or not. And if Wellbutrin isn’t a favorable med, could you guys give me some insight for what works for a schizo/bipolar diagnosis? You can even drop antidepressant names and I can do a little research as well to see what my options are. Maybe there are some I’ve never heard of that could possibly work me.
      I’m going to talk to my pdoc about this for sure. I just want to make sure I have enough insight/info from others so that I can know what to suggest to her in case it may help her and I figure out what might or might not work. I’m sure my pdoc will know, but doctors don’t always or exactly know how their patients really feel on a daily basis. Only patients can really tell their doctors what exactly is going on with them, hence why I’d love your feedback in case you’ve gone through what I’m going through now.
      I’m no doctor, I know, but hearing other peoples’ experiences gives me some insight about what I can talk to my pdoc about. 
      What does Wellbutrin feel like when you are on it?