CrazyBoards.org

Trazadone for sleep

Back when trazodone used to work for me, I could take 50 mg and it wouldn't be like 20 minutes later before I would be stumbling around and slurring my speech... I would pretty much have to take my trazodone while laying in bed and then just pass out.

But then it started not working as well, and had to start increasing the dose, increasing the duration of time before bed that I took it, etc. I got up to 200 mg of trazodone and my pdoc cut me off and said that if I went any higher, it would actually get stimulating rather than sedating.

Sorry to hear work is stressing you out so much. :( That's no good...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Back when trazodone used to work for me, I could take 50 mg and it wouldn't be like 20 minutes later before I would be stumbling around and slurring my speech... I would pretty much have to take my trazodone while laying in bed and then just pass out.

But then it started not working as well, and had to start increasing the dose, increasing the duration of time before bed that I took it, etc. I got up to 200 mg of trazodone and my pdoc cut me off and said that if I went any higher, it would actually get stimulating rather than sedating.

Sorry to hear work is stressing you out so much. :( That's no good...

yeah its just a tough time, im gonna up my 50 to 75 tonight i have a little extra, see how it goesss, then maybe 100 next night if needed. if it works call pdoc

Just now, Dewey said:

I was thinking of asking my psych doc tomorrow about taking Trazadone for sleep.  Currently I take Seroquel 25 mg, but am ultra sedated throughout the next day.  So, looking for something else. 

jts worth a try, how long have u been on seroquel

Edited by looking for answers

16 hours ago, looking for answers said:

How much do you take? DOes it work? and how close to bed do you take it?

200mg of Traz has been working well for me......Still works after about 3 years.

It's my main sleep med........I take it about 30 min to an hour before I go to sleep....Some people take it with food, but I take it on empty stomach.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, looking for answers said:

I’ll try it

last time he told me he liked traz for sleep better

He may not like the fact that trazodone has an active metabolite, mCPP, which is actually stimulating the higher the dose goes.

Trazodone is very useful in low, low doses for sedation, but the higher the does goes, it does get stimulating, but that's usually past 150-200 mg.

I remember just out of frustration one time I took 300 mg all at once before bed one time, and I started having a panic attack... My heart started pounding and racing and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. It really freaked me out.

But the thing about Seroquel is that you can only target so many H1 histamine receptors at a time as you escalate the dose before you start targeting other receptors.

If you want to try something antihistaminergic, maybe consider asking about low-dose doxepin or low-dose trimipramine in lieu of Seroquel, unless Seroquel is being used for mood stabilization (which I doubt, as it is being used at such a low dose...)

Edited by mikl_pls

11 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

He may not like the fact that trazodone has an active metabolite, mCPP, which is actually stimulating the higher the dose goes.

Trazodone is very useful in low, low doses for sedation, but the higher the does goes, it does get stimulating, but that's usually past 150-200 mg.

I remember just out of frustration one time I took 300 mg all at once before bed one time, and I started having a panic attack... My heart started pounding and racing and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. It really freaked me out.

But the thing about Seroquel is that you can only target so many H1 histamine receptors at a time as you escalate the dose before you start targeting other receptors.

If you want to try something antihistaminergic, maybe consider asking about low-dose doxepin or low-dose trimipramine in lieu of Seroquel, unless Seroquel is being used for mood stabilization (which I doubt, as it is being used at such a low dose...)

yeah were just using both for sleep, he suggested the combo, and it worked wonderfully. i vaguely remmeber him telling me that he thought traz promoted better sleep, and that it was easier to play around with.............and he has given me a range script for that before liek take 50-150 mg.................now when i called he said up the seroquel lol so who knows.......i wont go past 100 on seroquel for sleep.........im not getting back on that train.......

Just now, Dewey said:

On and off Seroquel, on an as needed basis over the past 3 years.  Never more than a week at a time. Just stopped it last night as the accumulative effect (after 3 days) causes severe muscle tension and muscle cramps at night. Might give it a few days before I start the Latuda. 

how much seroquel, and for what

On 10/2/2018 at 3:45 PM, looking for answers said:

yeah were just using both for sleep, he suggested the combo, and it worked wonderfully. i vaguely remmeber him telling me that he thought traz promoted better sleep, and that it was easier to play around with.............and he has given me a range script for that before liek take 50-150 mg.................now when i called he said up the seroquel lol so who knows.......i wont go past 100 on seroquel for sleep.........im not getting back on that train.......

how much seroquel, and for what

Were you ever on trazodone alone? Asked the...care team? What’s left of the pdocs old team, for trazodone.

or did it not work until you added seroquel? Bit scared of that one. Personal hang up about antipsychotics.

3 minutes ago, argh said:

Were you ever on trazodone alone? Asked the...care team? What’s left of the pdocs old team, for trazodone.

or did it not work until you added seroquel? Bit scared of that one. Personal hang up about antipsychotics.

yeah i didnt sleep on traz alone.

pdocs old team?

why are you scared? ive dont it for a while now

Just now, looking for answers said:

yeah i didnt sleep on traz alone.

pdocs old team?

why are you scared? ive dont it for a while now

Yeah I have insurance via a big hospital so her NPs and what not are still around till I get a new pdoc.

i suppose the potential risk for diabetes and movement disorders. I know it’s semi irrational as it’d be a low dose and at the very least seroquel has one of the lowest risks for movement disorders. I don’t know. I guess I came into all of this thinking that it’s a nice simple case of classic mdd, no comorbidities or other weird shit, which I could just take an ad and it’d be it. Unbroken. With the failed trial of Remeron and gabapentin helping immensely  (ok admittedly poor evidence that it works for bp), it seems like more. More broken shit and more meds to go along with it. Sort of scared that they might say take seroquel as it might make more sense based on well..everything so far. I know...treat the symptoms not the label but yeah. I don’t know. It all seems so nuclear. Why can’t shit ever be simple?

Im rambling and need to get out of this headspace.

thanks for the feedback bro.

ps. Cbd oil doesn’t help with sleep much. It definitely is calming and quiets the mind somewhat, which is quite nice. No drugged or hazy feeling either.

2 minutes ago, argh said:

Yeah I have insurance via a big hospital so her NPs and what not are still around till I get a new pdoc.

i suppose the potential risk for diabetes and movement disorders. I know it’s semi irrational as it’d be a low dose and at the very least seroquel has one of the lowest risks for movement disorders. I don’t know. I guess I came into all of this thinking that it’s a nice simple case of classic mdd, no comorbidities or other weird shit, which I could just take an ad and it’d be it. Unbroken. With the failed trial of Remeron and gabapentin helping immensely  (ok admittedly poor evidence that it works for bp), it seems like more. More broken shit and more meds to go along with it. Sort of scared that they might say take seroquel as it might make more sense based on well..everything so far. I know...treat the symptoms not the label but yeah. I don’t know. It all seems so nuclear. Why can’t shit ever be simple?

Im rambling and need to get out of this headspace.

thanks for the feedback bro.

ps. Cbd oil doesn’t help with sleep much. It definitely is calming and quiets the mind somewhat, which is quite nice. No drugged or hazy feeling either.

im with you bud, im dx now as bp2, and my therapists, and me say MDD, i dont care what it is, eventualyl u just take what u can to get better. seroquel i was on up to 500mg before, and i had no weight gain, bloodwork was fine, no movement issues. obviously YMMV but i came to a point where things i didnt wanna take, i took, you have to try them, see if they work, trust your medical team. shame the cbd oil dont work. but the low dose seroquel with traz helps me sleep.........

I have failed a ton of AD's, some haveb showed some success, lithium helped me alot, seroquel for the depression aspect, not so much, latuda nope, vraylar not bad......

im rambling too but i guess what im saying is dont be scared, everything comes with risks, but the main goal should be getting better. If your doc wants you to try something be open to it, at leas

• 4 weeks later...

Just started Trasadone 50 mg and it's working to get me to sleep and now going from interrupted sleep with only 3-4 hours of sleep each night to now 10-14 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  I can't believe it when I first wake up and saw the clock, that was a shocker the first time I slept 14 hours.  My mood has been elevated more which is a good thing, not sure whether it's from all that sleep or the Trasadone.