CrazyBoards.org

Could Daytrana be my answer to rapid metabolism of stimulants?

I'm apparently a rapid metabolizer of stimulants, both methylphenidate- and amphetamine-based, as I require very high doses just to even feel anything. When starting out on Adderall, it didn't take long before I had to go up to 40 mg/day, and after that, I was asking if I could increase again, and my gdoc told me they couldn't at the time.

I'm now on Dexedrine 60 mg/day, and while I'm mostly satisfied with it, I still feel like I need more, yet I can't seem to get anyone to prescribe me more than the max FDA-recommended dose. Dexedrine is, by far, the best amphetamine-based stimulant I've tried, even better than Desoxyn

I've tried methylphenidate-based stimulants, and they're even worse than the amphetamine-based stimulants for me; yet, I wonder if it's because I just burn through them so quickly? I wonder if Daytrana, the transdermal patch that delivers a constant and steady stream of methylphenidate directly into your bloodstream, would bypass all this rapid metabolism stuff?

Can anyone attest to this idea? Does anyone have experience with oral vs. transdermal methylphenidate?

17 minutes ago, Velvet Elvis said:

You can take non-stimulant ADD meds along with stimulants to boost them a bit.  I've done so with both Strattera and Wellbutrin.  

I've done this as well, and unfortunately it didn't work that well for me.

I take methylfenidate and have earlier taken Dexedrine. In my experience, there is no comparison between them. Dexedrine is by far more stimulating. I couldn't handle it. I'm not sure that trying a different method of ingestion would alter that.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3875401/

Considering differences in absorption and first-pass liver metabolism between oral and transdermal administration routes, the bioavailabilitty and utility of MTS may be altered compared with oral MPH products, so some subjects may require a lower dose of MTS. On average, the optimal nominal doses of MTS (amount absorbed in 9-hour wear time) were considerably below the nominal doses (amount ingested) of oral MPH form which subjects were switched, even after 38% were titrated upward. Therefore, MTS doses should be optimized based on individual patient response to therapy, starting at a smaller patch size than the oral dose.

This was what gave me this idea. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with oral Ritalin vs, transdermal Daytrana.

I've taken Ritalin and Metadate CD, the former of which did nothing, the latter of which did a little, but not quite enough (granted it was a low, low dose, as my pdoc is very cautious about prescribing stimulants now for some reason). Focalin XR did nothing for my ADHD and made me an anxious mess. :(

Edited by mikl_pls

41 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Meh, screw it. I think I'm going to stick with Dexedrine.

This is what I would advise. Especially if you are getting something from the Dexedrine. Otherwise, you'd have to have a pdoc who would be willing to put you back on Dexedrine if your trial on Daytrana failed. And I don't see methylphenidate being anywhere near as effective as amphetamine even if the methylphenidate were taken transdermally. Of course, I could be wrong. That's just my gut feeling having been on both.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

This is what I would advise. Especially if you are getting something from the Dexedrine. Otherwise, you'd have to have a pdoc who would be willing to put you back on Dexedrine if your trial on Daytrana failed. And I don't see methylphenidate being anywhere near as effective as amphetamine even if the methylphenidate were taken transdermally. Of course, I could be wrong. That's just my gut feeling having been on both.

Yeah why rock the Boat. 

I spoke to my doc who prescribes the Dexedrine about it and he agreed. I'm going to stick with the Dexedrine.

On a second note, he went over my blood test results, and my thyroid isn't functioning right... and apparently neither is my pituitary gland. I have both low TSH and T4. Usually when you have low T4, your TSH is high... Even though I'm on levothyroxine 100 mcg, both levels were low. So he raised my levothyroxine to 125 mcg and said he would get someone else to look at my blood results... He said I may need an endocrinologist.

So we figured that may have something to do with why I have been feeling like the 60 mg Dexedrine hasn't been feeling like enough.

Edited by mikl_pls