CrazyBoards.org

So I saw my psych doc today and he feels the best reactions I have had to control most all my symptoms are in this class of medications.  Where I do not like this "named" class, I will give this one drug one more try.  I have been on them all but this one. All the others I can take for short bursts of time.  We are trying to find something I can take long-term.

Starting tonight with 20 mg of Latuda.  I also asked for Cogentin to help with the horrible muscle spasms and rigid muscles.  Mail order will eventually get me the Trasadone to help with sleep and Cogentin for muscle issues. I asked for Xanax and he wouldn't allow that since it's too short acting.  I tried to convince him I need something for emergency purposes and he still said no.

It's been 6 months since I have seen my psych doc and in 40 minutes he went thru all my back history, last 30 years to try to find something to help me. He also wrote to my landlord stating that my new kitten is my therapy cat and can therefore not charge me any pet deposits nor fees.  I love him for doing that for me !!!  

So, after 35 years of treating me I asked... am I BiPolar or what am I?  He said basically I suffer under the umbrella of chronic PTSD, tramatic brain injury and childhood abuse.  The symptoms I continue to have will not go away, but need to be treated, great, huh?  At least he was truthful.  Settling in for the long-haul or what's left of my life. Somehow I was magically under the illusion I would be cured, lol. 

29 minutes ago, Dewey said:

So I saw my psych doc today and he feels the best reactions I have had to control most all my symptoms are in this class of medications.  Where I do not like this "named" class, I will give this one drug one more try.  I have been on them all but this one. All the others I can take for short bursts of time.  We are trying to find something I can take long-term.

Starting tonight with 20 mg of Latuda.  I also asked for Cogentin to help with the horrible muscle spasms and rigid muscles.  Mail order will eventually get me the Trasadone to help with sleep and Cogentin for muscle issues. I asked for Xanax and he wouldn't allow that since it's too short acting.  I tried to convince him I need something for emergency purposes and he still said no.

It's been 6 months since I have seen my psych doc and in 40 minutes he went thru all my back history, last 30 years to try to find something to help me. He also wrote to my landlord stating that my new kitten is my therapy cat and can therefore not charge me any pet deposits nor fees.  I love him for doing that for me !!!  

So, after 35 years of treating me I asked... am I BiPolar or what am I?  He said basically I suffer under the umbrella of chronic PTSD, tramatic brain injury and childhood abuse.  The symptoms I continue to have will not go away, but need to be treated, great, huh?  At least he was truthful.  Settling in for the long-haul or what's left of my life. Somehow I was magically under the illusion I would be cured, lol. 

treatment can be a cure. ALso good luck with latuda. ALOT of people really like that drug

17 minutes ago, Dewey said:

That's absolutely wonderful that he did that for you!

18 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'm glad your pdoc was straightforward with you about this. I think my pdoc is a little guarded with me about my diagnoses because I have OCD and she thinks I'll obsess about them too much.

Child abuse and subsequent PTSD has been shown to cause permanent alterations in brain structure/physiology and chemistry. I remember reading about this in many sources, but don't remember the details. One of them was Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology, but I can't locate that book right now, I keep misplacing it among my mess of a room. Ugh. Sorry to deviate. But you do have a mental illness (along with TBI, which show symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.) with a physiological etiology that can be treated. But at this time, unfortunately, we, who have mental illnesses, cannot be cured. But we're fortunate, I guess, for what little advances we've made thus far in psychopharmacology, yes? :) 

Sending much love! <3

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

That's absolutely wonderful that he did that for you!

I'm glad your pdoc was straightforward with you about this. I think my pdoc is a little guarded with me about my diagnoses because I have OCD and she thinks I'll obsess about them too much.

Child abuse and subsequent PTSD has been shown to cause permanent alterations in brain structure/physiology and chemistry. I remember reading about this in many sources, but don't remember the details. One of them was Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology, but I can't locate that book right now, I keep misplacing it among my mess of a room. Ugh. Sorry to deviate. But you do have a mental illness (along with TBI, which show symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.) with a physiological etiology that can be treated. But at this time, unfortunately, we, who have mental illnesses, cannot be cured. But we're fortunate, I guess, for what little advances we've made thus far in psychopharmacology, yes? :) 

Sending much love! <3

Thank you mikl *bright smiles* needed to hear your positive reinforcement and comments :)  I get what you are saying about the advances in psychopharmacology.  My psych doc works at NIMH and NIH part time and takes his difficult cases there, I'm sure he has presented me.  I have had several gene studies and these medications he is trying on me is as a result of those two studies.  I had them done when I made big bucks in income, could not afford them today.  I need to go back to see him on a regular basis, not once every 6 months as I have been doing.  Things are much better face to face than over the phone.  This doctor is such a wonderful man in all he has done for me over the years.  He will tell me like it is, no sugar coating because that is what I want. I have OCD too and tonight I spent time on the computer looking things up.  I would rather know as that helps me understand why I am the way I am.  I feel a little more accepting tonight than I did earlier today before I met with him. 

Will keep you posted how I do when I start both medications as I know you have had experience with Trasadone. 

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

treatment can be a cure. ALso good luck with latuda. ALOT of people really like that drug

Thank you looking for answers, glad to hear that a large population like Latuda, gives me hope.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dewey said:

That's wonderful that your new kitten is now your therapy cat.!!....Your pdoc was very thoughtful in doing that for you....You are lucky to have such a supportive doc--seems like such docs can be very rare to come across.

I have never tried Latuda personally, but I see that some people on here really like it...Also good that you're going to be getting Congentin if you have any side effects.

I hope the Trazodone will work out for you, too......It has worked well for me for sleep....What dose will you be starting at?

Sounds like you have some good things in place right now........Yay...!! :)

22 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

That's wonderful that your new kitten is now your therapy cat.!!....Your pdoc was very thoughtful in doing that for you....You are lucky to have such a supportive doc--seems like such docs can be very rare to come across.

I have never tried Latuda personally, but I see that some people on here really like it...Also good that you're going to be getting Congentin if you have any side effects.

I hope the Trazodone will work out for you, too......It has worked well for me for sleep....What dose will you be starting at?

Sounds like you have some good things in place right now........Yay...!! :)

Thanks Red for responding *smiles*.  Holding off on the Latuda until I am sure Seroquel is out of my system.  Have not received the Trazodone nor the Cogentin yet from my mail order. 

I am blessed to have my psych doc, he has been with me for over 30+ years and knows me well.  He's a gentle, well informed psych doc.  When I go in-patient, he calls me every single day.

Yes, he's all for me to have a companion kitty in my life again and was more than happy to write a letter to my landlord. 

• Like 2