CrazyBoards.org

So I saw my psych doc today and he feels the best reactions I have had to control most all my symptoms are in this class of medications.  Where I do not like this "named" class, I will give this one drug one more try.  I have been on them all but this one. All the others I can take for short bursts of time.  We are trying to find something I can take long-term.

Starting tonight with 20 mg of Latuda.  I also asked for Cogentin to help with the horrible muscle spasms and rigid muscles.  Mail order will eventually get me the Trasadone to help with sleep and Cogentin for muscle issues. I asked for Xanax and he wouldn't allow that since it's too short acting.  I tried to convince him I need something for emergency purposes and he still said no.

It's been 6 months since I have seen my psych doc and in 40 minutes he went thru all my back history, last 30 years to try to find something to help me. He also wrote to my landlord stating that my new kitten is my therapy cat and can therefore not charge me any pet deposits nor fees.  I love him for doing that for me !!!  

So, after 35 years of treating me I asked... am I BiPolar or what am I?  He said basically I suffer under the umbrella of chronic PTSD, tramatic brain injury and childhood abuse.  The symptoms I continue to have will not go away, but need to be treated, great, huh?  At least he was truthful.  Settling in for the long-haul or what's left of my life. Somehow I was magically under the illusion I would be cured, lol. 

29 minutes ago, Dewey said:

So I saw my psych doc today and he feels the best reactions I have had to control most all my symptoms are in this class of medications.  Where I do not like this "named" class, I will give this one drug one more try.  I have been on them all but this one. All the others I can take for short bursts of time.  We are trying to find something I can take long-term.

Starting tonight with 20 mg of Latuda.  I also asked for Cogentin to help with the horrible muscle spasms and rigid muscles.  Mail order will eventually get me the Trasadone to help with sleep and Cogentin for muscle issues. I asked for Xanax and he wouldn't allow that since it's too short acting.  I tried to convince him I need something for emergency purposes and he still said no.

It's been 6 months since I have seen my psych doc and in 40 minutes he went thru all my back history, last 30 years to try to find something to help me. He also wrote to my landlord stating that my new kitten is my therapy cat and can therefore not charge me any pet deposits nor fees.  I love him for doing that for me !!!  

So, after 35 years of treating me I asked... am I BiPolar or what am I?  He said basically I suffer under the umbrella of chronic PTSD, tramatic brain injury and childhood abuse.  The symptoms I continue to have will not go away, but need to be treated, great, huh?  At least he was truthful.  Settling in for the long-haul or what's left of my life. Somehow I was magically under the illusion I would be cured, lol. 

treatment can be a cure. ALso good luck with latuda. ALOT of people really like that drug

17 minutes ago, Dewey said:

That's absolutely wonderful that he did that for you!

18 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'm glad your pdoc was straightforward with you about this. I think my pdoc is a little guarded with me about my diagnoses because I have OCD and she thinks I'll obsess about them too much.

Child abuse and subsequent PTSD has been shown to cause permanent alterations in brain structure/physiology and chemistry. I remember reading about this in many sources, but don't remember the details. One of them was Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology, but I can't locate that book right now, I keep misplacing it among my mess of a room. Ugh. Sorry to deviate. But you do have a mental illness (along with TBI, which show symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.) with a physiological etiology that can be treated. But at this time, unfortunately, we, who have mental illnesses, cannot be cured. But we're fortunate, I guess, for what little advances we've made thus far in psychopharmacology, yes? :) 

Sending much love! <3

1 hour ago, mikl_pls said:

That's absolutely wonderful that he did that for you!

I'm glad your pdoc was straightforward with you about this. I think my pdoc is a little guarded with me about my diagnoses because I have OCD and she thinks I'll obsess about them too much.

Child abuse and subsequent PTSD has been shown to cause permanent alterations in brain structure/physiology and chemistry. I remember reading about this in many sources, but don't remember the details. One of them was Stahl's Essential Psychopharmacology, but I can't locate that book right now, I keep misplacing it among my mess of a room. Ugh. Sorry to deviate. But you do have a mental illness (along with TBI, which show symptoms of depression, anxiety, etc.) with a physiological etiology that can be treated. But at this time, unfortunately, we, who have mental illnesses, cannot be cured. But we're fortunate, I guess, for what little advances we've made thus far in psychopharmacology, yes? :) 

Sending much love! <3

Thank you mikl *bright smiles* needed to hear your positive reinforcement and comments :)  I get what you are saying about the advances in psychopharmacology.  My psych doc works at NIMH and NIH part time and takes his difficult cases there, I'm sure he has presented me.  I have had several gene studies and these medications he is trying on me is as a result of those two studies.  I had them done when I made big bucks in income, could not afford them today.  I need to go back to see him on a regular basis, not once every 6 months as I have been doing.  Things are much better face to face than over the phone.  This doctor is such a wonderful man in all he has done for me over the years.  He will tell me like it is, no sugar coating because that is what I want. I have OCD too and tonight I spent time on the computer looking things up.  I would rather know as that helps me understand why I am the way I am.  I feel a little more accepting tonight than I did earlier today before I met with him. 

Will keep you posted how I do when I start both medications as I know you have had experience with Trasadone. 

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

treatment can be a cure. ALso good luck with latuda. ALOT of people really like that drug

Thank you looking for answers, glad to hear that a large population like Latuda, gives me hope.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dewey said:

That's wonderful that your new kitten is now your therapy cat.!!....Your pdoc was very thoughtful in doing that for you....You are lucky to have such a supportive doc--seems like such docs can be very rare to come across.

I have never tried Latuda personally, but I see that some people on here really like it...Also good that you're going to be getting Congentin if you have any side effects.

I hope the Trazodone will work out for you, too......It has worked well for me for sleep....What dose will you be starting at?

Sounds like you have some good things in place right now........Yay...!! :)

22 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

That's wonderful that your new kitten is now your therapy cat.!!....Your pdoc was very thoughtful in doing that for you....You are lucky to have such a supportive doc--seems like such docs can be very rare to come across.

I have never tried Latuda personally, but I see that some people on here really like it...Also good that you're going to be getting Congentin if you have any side effects.

I hope the Trazodone will work out for you, too......It has worked well for me for sleep....What dose will you be starting at?

Sounds like you have some good things in place right now........Yay...!! :)

Thanks Red for responding *smiles*.  Holding off on the Latuda until I am sure Seroquel is out of my system.  Have not received the Trazodone nor the Cogentin yet from my mail order. 

I am blessed to have my psych doc, he has been with me for over 30+ years and knows me well.  He's a gentle, well informed psych doc.  When I go in-patient, he calls me every single day.

Yes, he's all for me to have a companion kitty in my life again and was more than happy to write a letter to my landlord. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      I banged my head (outer eyebrow near temple) a week ago, on a cabinet door. I'm wondering if anyone here has got a concussion from this sort of thing? How do you know for sure?
      I iced it for an hour immediately, so very minimal bruising, but had a large lump (which is going down). Its very tender. My temple and eyebrow still feel "achey" (it's not really a headache). I also feel extra lethargic with brain fog, abrupt worsening of mood. I go to doc tomorrow, but I read that MRI scans cannot show mild concussions (only bone fractures or brain bleeding) and I also wonder if it's just my depression getting worse (versus a head injury from a bump)...?
      I HATE going to the Dr for this sort of thing... because I don't want to be labeled as "malingering" or a hypochondriac mental case. Doctors always see a diagnosis of depression on my file (and meds I'm on) and of course (being a woman also), it makes them more apt to always write things off as psychological or stress-related. 😞
    • By Inanlae
      So for seventeen years I've had pain depression.  It especially feels like it's squeezing my heart.  It hasn't historically been *about* anything.  I've just chalked it up to biochemistry, heredity.  And I've thought about suicide, most days, for at least fifteen years - because pain sucks.  Ups-and-downs.  Roller-coasters.  Probably every person on here has done time at the worst torture theme park in the world.

Two years ago, my cocktail started working.  There was some CBT and DBT in the mix too.  I decreased my daily Ativan from 3mg to 2mg.  Plus 20mg Latuda, 300mg Sertraline, 100mg Topamax.  I actually felt happy, for about two years, until this October.  Then it stopped working.  And I stopped working.  I work in a level I trauma center, where I identify cancer, anemia, and the effects of the coronavirus on the human body.  I feel like I have a front row seat to human suffering, without being empowered to ameliorate it, and it's another kind of torture.

I am very tired of fighting.  If there was a euthanasia travel agency, where I could just walk in, plan my funeral and end-of-life arrangements, plan my ideal death, and just call this thing at 38, that would be a somewhat attractive option (not telling, The Tallest Man on Earth, flaming-Viking-burial-at-sea.)  I'm tired of fighting this disease, personally.  And I'm tired of coming up against the tsunami of "world suck" (H/T Vlog Brothers) which seems to be hate-fucking itself ad astra.

So the strain theory, which I haven't read much on yet, is that we consider the termination of our lives when under one or more types of strain.  I personally find this theory hopeful, as targeting the sources of strain, i.e. "world stuck," could reduce the inducements to terminate one's life.  The General Strain Theory, according to one Wik I. Pedia cites loss of positive stimuli, addition of negative stimuli, or the inability to reach a desired goal, as three possible sources of strain.  I will follow up on this with my tdoc on Wednesday.  I think work is introducing negative stimuli, and I have a shit ton of unreached goals, but am starting to care about goals less and less.  Basically, it pisses me off that I've had to dramatically reduce my goals due to my diseases, and it's kind of tempting to just leave the party.  Please feel free to weigh in if you have personal and or academic experience with this.

I'm also meeting virtually with my pdoc tomorrow... to tweak the cocktail.  Would love recommendations.  My current rx mix, dxs and rx, failures are in my signature.  Lamictal induces hives and vomiting.  Depakote causes dyskinesia.  Lithium ruined the thyroid and causes acute renal failure.  Medicine.  Ha ha.  Organ roulette.

So the observation about different species of depression is that while for a decade-and-a-half I experienced what seemed like purely biochemical, chains-around-my-heart, tar-and-shark-filled, basements-beneath-basements depression.  This feels more like a rational(?) depression, which has me concerned about whether it will be responsive to biochemical therapy.

• By Isaiah2017
      I'm having a hell of a hard time and experiencing rather weird symptoms. Whether they've anything to do with Mirtazapine (Remeron) is something that I strongly feel but can't quite convince any doctor of.   I was put on 15 mg of it in spring 2015 for depression and a severe insomnia - I hadn't slept an hour like since 25 nights back then! The benefits showed immediately within a day and surprised myself and my family. I would sleep well and be in a very happy and cheerful mood.   Then however, from summer 2016 I developed some strange food intolerances; caffeine, sugar, fruits containing high amounts of fructose, yoghurt, butter and so on. Eating anything of that would cause me jitteriness and insomnia. I steered clear of those foods.   From autumn last year though, a lot of those food intolerances have relented and it changed into intolerance towards medicines and supplements that I was on; the thyroid medicine for hypothyroidism, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin E and could never again tolerate any new medicine or supplement. Symptoms resulting from these are, again, jitters, insomnia and a strange kind of feeling of being struck on the head, like I can't hear anything and the thinking becomes very unclear and blurred. Coupled with this is a weird sensation that if a medicine has any potential side-effect (even physical, such as urine retention), I get it at all costs. So I'm steering clear of the culprits here too.   However, avoiding the culprits doesn't end my misery, it just helps in avoiding a whole new set of symptoms, because since autumn 2016 I'm under constant brainfog anyway, have heart palpitations immediately after every meal (but worst after breakfast), have concentration and focus issues, lead a life without any hobbies, wishes or desires. Nothing excites me, nothing interests me and nothing catches my attention. Leave tasks pending for months (the most unlike me habbit), have badly lost my sense of humour. My sense of humour was something that I literally used to pride on, and friends from around the world would call me to fresh up if they were having a dull day. My mind feels numb, although it isn´t as if it´s the sedating effect of the Mirtazapine because 90% percent of the nights I don´t sleep well, and on a lot of nights I feel as if I´m asleep with an awake mind!   The GP who put me on it considered it to be just the effects of anxiety and depression and recommended the doubling of the dose to 30 mg. When I contested that, given that I´ve my doubts of a lot of these issues being brought upon by Mirtazapine itself, she referred me to a psychiatrist. He too strongly denies of Mirtazapine having any hand to play on it and instead thinks it´ll be best to combine it with another antidepressant for day-time.   He put me on Paroxetine, boom, a flood of side-effects! Then changed to Fluoxetine (Prozac) - third day on it and having weird feelings. The heart poundings are one and is in fact making me very depressed and hopeless!
    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By nanna
      It's been a long while since my last visit here, and even longer since last writing anything.
      I don't know where to write this, or even what to write, but there really is no one else to talk to.
      So... long story short, I attempted suicide about 6 months ago (not my first try), and obviously, failed at that, again. I have been in a relationship more or less 5 years now, and I guess I can summarize that into "it's complicated". Things have been going from bad to worse since the suicide attempt. To a point that few weeks ago, my (I don't know what to call him, "partner"?) was violent towards me (not really the first time this kind of thing has happened, but certainly the worst).
      He so angry all the time (at me, I guess.. and certainly some of it is completely justified), it feels like he is expecting me to be "grateful" for him saving my life, and when I can't, it makes things even worse.
      It doesn't really make things any easier, that we both have some pretty serious issues. Me with depression, and trauma-related dissociative "disorder" (?), or at least a tendency to dissociate in difficult situations. And he with alcohol abuse, and some traumas of his own.
      Anyway, right now we are still living in the same house (he is occupying most of the space, and I am kind of living in my workroom) but we don't really have a "together-life". I don't have a lot of friends in general, and the few I have are living relatively far from where I live. My mother lives not-too-far-away, but we aren't very close, and I can't imagine talking to her about this.